public inbox for gas2@sourceware.org
* Problems with the GNU linker....
@ 1999-01-05  3:17 Koundinya.K
From: Koundinya.K @ 1999-01-05  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ian, gas2; +Cc: bfd

Hi all,
	I have been using the egcs-2.91.57 19980901 (egcs-1.1 release) gcc and g++
compilers and all the other tools on my system which is MIPS (R4000) based
running the SVR4.2 UNIX on the Supermax Business Server for a few months now
and they seem to work fine.

	How ever I am still not able to use the GNU linker. For making the egcs
port I used the native linker ( from the EPC - Edinberg portable compiler
and Tools) and it took me 6 months !!. I am not able to generate the dynamic
libraries. The GNU assembler (gas) and the native ld pair does not seem to
work.

So again I decided to try making the latest ld from the most recent
snapshots from ftp.cygnus.com/private/gas.

For getting the ld compiled I used the following in the ld/configure.tgt as
before.

	mips-*-sysv*)           targ_emul=elf32bsmip ;;

Got the ld compiled. But when I try to compile the famous Hello world
program I get

--------------- Output of test --------------------------------------------
../test
Hello World
dynamic linker: ./test: unidentifiable procedure reference (address =
0x40062cd8)
Killed

-

I tried to use the readelf utility , but got no clues.

The ldd -d ./test shows that that the C libraries are dynamically loaded.

Is the support for the GNU linker on most of the MIPS platforms still not
complete. ? Is this a known problem ?. Please help me. Are there any patches
available ?.

Thanks a lot for any help received.

With best regards

Koundinya

* Re: Problems with the GNU linker....
@ 1999-01-05  5:57 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 1999-01-05  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kk; +Cc: gas2, bfd

   Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 16:47:04 +0530
   From: "Koundinya.K" <kk@ddeorg.soft.net>

	   I have been using the egcs-2.91.57 19980901 (egcs-1.1 release) gcc and g++
   compilers and all the other tools on my system which is MIPS (R4000) based
   running the SVR4.2 UNIX on the Supermax Business Server for a few months now
   and they seem to work fine.

	   How ever I am still not able to use the GNU linker. For making the egcs
   port I used the native linker ( from the EPC - Edinberg portable compiler
   and Tools) and it took me 6 months !!. I am not able to generate the dynamic
   libraries. The GNU assembler (gas) and the native ld pair does not seem to
   work.

The GNU linker does not fully support shared libraries on MIPS ELF
platforms.  It seems to work well enough for MIPS GNU/Linux; I don't
know the details, and I don't know if all the patches have been
integrated into the mainline sources.  Somebody is working on
improving the Irix 6 support, which will hopefully include
improvements for the general MIPS ELF support.

I don't know why gas does not work with the native linker.  That does
work on Irix.  It isn't likely to work if you configure gas for
mips-sysv, as that appears to generate ECOFF.  Make sure you configure
for mips-elf or mips-linux-gnu, or fix the gas/configure.in file and
regenerate gas/configure.

   --------------- Output of test --------------------------------------------
   ../test
   Hello World
   dynamic linker: ./test: unidentifiable procedure reference (address =
   0x40062cd8)
   Killed

   -

   I tried to use the readelf utility , but got no clues.

Try changing the definition of SGI_COMPAT in bfd/elf32-mips.c from 1
to 0.  By default the linker will generate some form of the Irix
quickstart relocs.  However, you should expect to run into other
problems, particularly if you try to generate shared libraries
yourself.

Ian

* Re: Problems with the GNU linker....
@ 1999-01-09 16:32   ` ralf
From: ralf @ 1999-01-09 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor, kk; +Cc: gas2, bfd

On Tue, Jan 05, 1999 at 08:40:55AM -0500, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> The GNU linker does not fully support shared libraries on MIPS ELF
> platforms.  It seems to work well enough for MIPS GNU/Linux; I don't
> know the details, and I don't know if all the patches have been
> integrated into the mainline sources.

I've got patches which fix the handling of .reginfo sections in binutils
2.9.1, the handling of %hi, %HI and %lo and a few bfd coredumps for
Linux/MIPS.

The two open bugs are symbol versioning which as I understand elf32-mips.c
will require rewriting the .got handling.  Right now the attempt to use
symbol versioning on MIPS will result in core dumps and large amounts of
assertion failures.  The other open bug is that ld emits a couple of
apparently bogus warnings about symbols changing their types when linking
dynamic programs.

  Ralf