public inbox for gas2@sourceware.org
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@zembu.com>
To: Franz.Sirl-kernel@lauterbach.com
Cc: gas2@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: make check problems on powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:40:00 -0000	[thread overview]

   From: Franz Sirl <Franz.Sirl-kernel@lauterbach.com>
   Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:24:57 +0100

   >   FAIL: shared (non PIC, load offset)
   >
   >This one is the only serious error.  It's worth investigating why this
   >is happening.  Do other people using PowerPC GNU/Linux see this as
   >well?

   dunno, actually only a few PPC/Linux people are using snapshots right now (it
   is needed to build the egcs mainline). I get this FAIL since early January,
   981227 is the last snapshot I have without this problem. What can I do to help
   to track down this problem?

Whoops, I was confused.  I confused that test with others.  That test
was only added in January 3, so it most likely never worked on PowerPC
GNU/Linux.

That test uses a special linker script,
    ld/testsuite/ld-shared/elf-offset.ld
That linker script is probably missing something that is in the
default PowerPC ELF linker script, ld/scripttempl/elfppc.sc, which is
causing the problem.  (You can see the default linker script in a
slightly more readable form by running ld --verbose).

   >   On the last on the only special thing about shnp.so I noticed is the
   >   following readelf output:
   >
   >   Program Headers:
   >     Type        Offset   VirtAddr   PhysAddr   FileSiz MemSiz  Flg Align
   >     LOAD        0x010000 0x00100000 0x00100000 0x017d0 0x017d0 RWE 0x10000
   >     DYNAMIC     0x01176c 0x0010176c 0x0010176c 0x00050 0x00050 RW  0x4
   >
   >   AFAI remember there are usually 2 LOAD entries here, or?
   >
   >Yes, there usually are.  However, it is not a requirement.

   maybe glibc-2.1/glibc-2.1.1pre1 enforce this? Do people on other glibc-2.1
   platforms see this failure too? Or is it PPC only?

Actually, there should be PHDR and INTERP entries also; the dynamic
linker is probably complaining about the lack of a PHDR entry.

Ian