public inbox for gas2@sourceware.org
* egcs and binutils snapshots
@ 1998-09-07  7:46 joel
From: joel @ 1998-09-07  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs, gas2

I have a report from an RTEMS user that the top level configure scripts
have gotten out of sync between egcs and binutils snapshots.  In
particular, he mentioned that:

+ egcs does not yet know about libintl (internationalization library)
+ binutils does not yet know about make cross.

Problems of this type are not obvious until you try to do a one-tree style
build.

--joel
Joel Sherrill                    Director of Research & Development
   Support Available             (205) 722-9985

* Re: egcs and binutils snapshots
@ 1998-09-07 22:31 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-09-07 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joel; +Cc: egcs, gas2

  In message < Pine.LNX.3.96.980907094930.29532G-100000@oar3remote.oarcorp.com >you write:
  > I have a report from an RTEMS user that the top level configure scripts
  > have gotten out of sync between egcs and binutils snapshots.  In
  > particular, he mentioned that:
Yes.  This is not unexpected.

They are totally separate source trees, and we (I) have not been making
an effort to move our configury changes back to other projects.  At
some point it became impractical due to the rapid changes.  Now that
it has settled down somewhat I'd like to submit some of those changes.

  > + egcs does not yet know about libintl (internationalization library)
Yes.  This will be changing after the next merge from gcc2.

jeff

* Re: egcs and binutils snapshots
@ 1998-09-08  5:48   ` joel
From: joel @ 1998-09-08  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey A Law; +Cc: egcs, gas2

On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Jeffrey A Law wrote:

>   In message < Pine.LNX.3.96.980907094930.29532G-100000@oar3remote.oarcorp.com >you write:
>   > I have a report from an RTEMS user that the top level configure scripts
>   > have gotten out of sync between egcs and binutils snapshots.  In
>   > particular, he mentioned that:
> Yes.  This is not unexpected.

This is not the first time this has happened. :)

> They are totally separate source trees, and we (I) have not been making
> an effort to move our configury changes back to other projects.  At
> some point it became impractical due to the rapid changes.  Now that
> it has settled down somewhat I'd like to submit some of those changes.

It is hard to keep everything in sync with so many tools using the same
top level scripts.

>   > + egcs does not yet know about libintl (internationalization library)
> Yes.  This will be changing after the next merge from gcc2.

As long as it is egcs + binutils snapshot, then it is OK.  Before a new
binutils release, this needs to be fixed.

--joel