public inbox for gas2@sourceware.org
* gas-980313 mips64orion problems
@ 1998-03-13 12:26 Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 1998-03-13 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gas2

The same mips64orion problem which existed in gas-980310 still
exists in gas-980313.

If I am reading diffs-weekly-980310 correctly, then a chunk of
code in tc-mips.c was deleted.  My guess is that the mips gas is broken on
just about every configuration right now.

I readded the code deleted by the change in diffs-weekly-980310 and
this allowed tc-mips.c to compile but later the build failed trying
to build egcs-1.0.2-980309-prerelease with the following:

  /usr2/tools/build-mips64orion-tools/gcc/xgcc
-B/usr2/tools/build-mips64orion-tools/gcc/ -O2  -DCROSS_COMPILE -DIN_GCC
-O2 -I./include  -G 0 -g1 -DIN_LIBGCC2 -D__GCC_FLOAT_NOT_NEEDED
-fexceptions -Dinhibit_libc   -I. -I../../src/gcc -I../../src/gcc/config
-c -DL${name} \
      ../../src/gcc/libgcc2.c -o ${name}.o; \
  if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then true; else exit 1; fi; \
  /usr2/tools/build-mips64orion-tools/binutils/ar rc tmplibgcc2.a
${name}.o; \
  rm -f ${name}.o; \
done
_muldi3
_divdi3
/tmp/cca01669.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/cca01669.s:439: Internal error!
Assertion failure in macro_build at ../../src/gas/config/tc-mips.c line
2349.
Please report this bug.

--joel

* Re: gas-980313 mips64orion problems
@ 1998-03-13 15:34 ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 1998-03-13 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Sherrill; +Cc: gas2

I got no problem with _divdi3, but I did see this:

_floatdidf
/tmp/cca01898.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/cca01898.s:87: Error: unrecognized opcode `cvt.d.l'
/tmp/cca01898.s:93: Error: unrecognized opcode `cvt.d.l'

because apparently a chunk of the opcode table was also removed
incorrectly.  (This and the tc-mips.c problem should be fixed in the
next snapshot.)  I'm using an alpha-linux host.

If your problem persists with tonight's snapshot, please let me know.
Also let me know what host platform and compiler you're using; the
egcs (non-release) snapshots have recently had some problems with
binutils, at least on my alpha.  (Oh, and send the .s file if it's not
too much trouble.  I can try to re-create it, but I haven't been
working much with the prerelease snapshots recently, so I may not have
the sources handy.)

Ken

* Re: gas-980313 mips64orion problems
@ 1998-03-14  7:50   ` Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 1998-03-14  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Raeburn; +Cc: gas2

> because apparently a chunk of the opcode table was also removed
> incorrectly.  (This and the tc-mips.c problem should be fixed in the
> next snapshot.)  I'm using an alpha-linux host.

You seem to have fixed the problem.  I am on a i686-pc-linux-gnu according
to config.guess (Redhat 5.0).  I am using the following versions:

BINUTILS        gas-980314
GCC             egcs-1.0.2-980309-prerelease
NEWLIB          newlib-1.8.0 + RTEMS patch

and building "one-tree" style.  In this configuration, I managed to
successfully build a full egcs (including objc and fortran).

Yeah!!!

FYI I managed to build this toolset for every other RTEMS target
using the 980310 snapshot so things look pretty good.  The RTEMS
targets are:

  hppa1.1-rtems, i386-rtems, i386-go32-rtems, i960-rtems,
  m68k-rtems, mips64orion-rtems, powerpc-rtems, sh-rtems,
  sparc-rtems

So things look pretty good.  How close does the 2.9 release look?

> If your problem persists with tonight's snapshot, please let me know.
> Also let me know what host platform and compiler you're using; the
> egcs (non-release) snapshots have recently had some problems with
> binutils, at least on my alpha.  (Oh, and send the .s file if it's not
> too much trouble.  I can try to re-create it, but I haven't been
> working much with the prerelease snapshots recently, so I may not have
> the sources handy.)

OK.  I should have remembered the host system part.  I did not sent
the .s along since it was obvious that code had been removed
accidentally.  Normally I would have sent more along more information.

Thanks.

@ 1998-03-14  8:09   ` H.J. Lu
From: H.J. Lu @ 1998-03-14  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Raeburn; +Cc: joel, gas2

> If your problem persists with tonight's snapshot, please let me know.
> Also let me know what host platform and compiler you're using; the
> egcs (non-release) snapshots have recently had some problems with
> binutils, at least on my alpha.  (Oh, and send the .s file if it's not
> too much trouble.  I can try to re-create it, but I haven't been
> working much with the prerelease snapshots recently, so I may not have
> the sources handy.)

The last egcs snapshot has way too many problems on alpha. "make check"
went into infinite loops in so many places that I had to kill it.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.org)

* Re: gas-980313 mips64orion problems
@ 1998-03-14 13:16     ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 1998-03-14 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Sherrill; +Cc: gas2

Joel Sherrill <joel@OARcorp.com> writes:

> You seem to have fixed the problem.

Great!  Actually, I can't take the credit, it was Angela who got to it
while I was still reading your mail.  But it's done, that's the
important part.

> So things look pretty good.  How close does the 2.9 release look?

I need to catch up on bug-gnu-utils for, say, the last month -- since
just before Ian left on his vacation.  Then I'll make a branch, we can
try a last round or two of testing, and it'll go.

I also want to check with a few people not on this list about changes
for specific OSes and such, to make sure they're complete.  And my
nightly test runs at Cygnus had been bombing out for a while,
hopefully I've got them fixed too.

* Re: gas-980313 mips64orion problems
@ 1998-03-16  5:37       ` Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 1998-03-16  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Raeburn; +Cc: gas2

On 14 Mar 1998, Ken Raeburn wrote:

> I need to catch up on bug-gnu-utils for, say, the last month -- since
> just before Ian left on his vacation.  Then I'll make a branch, we can
> try a last round or two of testing, and it'll go.

Sounds good.  I want to make a public RTEMS release sometime before May.
We are transitioning RTEMS away from the www/ftp site the Army distributed
it on to one at my company's site. We are scheduled to have it it place
sometime in April and want to debut the next RTEMS release from there.  I
just was hoping the tools would be in great shape by then.  It sounds like
they will be.

FYI binutils 2.8.1 will not even compile one-tree style builds for at
least the powerpc.

> I also want to check with a few people not on this list about changes
> for specific OSes and such, to make sure they're complete.  And my
> nightly test runs at Cygnus had been bombing out for a while,
> hopefully I've got them fixed too.

Sounds reasonable.

Thanks.

--joel