public inbox for gas2@sourceware.org
From: Alexandre Oliva <oliva@dcc.unicamp.br>
To: Mark Klein <mklein@dis.com>
Cc: gas2@cygnus.com, egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: egcs/ltconfig
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 15:24:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Mark Klein <mklein@dis.com> writes:

> Is this file generated or hand coded?

It is generated from ltconfig.in, distributed with GNU libtool.  But
the `generation' of it just takes care of version and line numbers, so
it is quite safe to modify it.  Anyway, you should report a problem to
bug-libtool@gnu.org, so we may try to fix this problem in the next
release of libtool.  You may want to check whether its latest
snapshot, libtool-1.2b (available at ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu ), already
fixes this problem.

> The approach I've taken is to modify the m4 macros for autoconf
> specifically for MPE and always regenerate the configure scripts
> with my version of autoconf before running them.  That works
> fine. But, for ltconfig, I see no ltconfig.in, hence my question.

It admittedly borrows a lot of code from autoconf 2.10...  The fix
vshould be similar.  Furthermore, now that autoconf is being actively
maintained again, you may be able to get your fixes into its next
distribution...  Post your suggestions to configure@cygnus.com

libtool, OTOH, has got quite stale since Gordon Metzigkeit, its
original author, decided to stop maintenaning it.  After some
arrangements, I agreed with him on starting a co-maintainership if he
could find some site to host a CVS repository with anonymous access.

Maybe Cygnus would be willing to donate some disk space and network
connection to the libtool project...

BTW, we're looking for more people to join the team, since both Gord
and I are busy people, and libtool is too important a project to be
maintained by two people that don't have much time to develop it :-(

--
Alexandre Oliva
mailto:oliva@dcc.unicamp.br mailto:aoliva@acm.org