public inbox for gas2@sourceware.org
* Why is libfoo.la is installed?
@ 1998-03-02 11:08 H.J. Lu
From: H.J. Lu @ 1998-03-02 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-libtool; +Cc: gas2, Ian Lance Taylor, gord

Hi,

libtool installs libfoo.la along with libfoo.so and libfoo.a. As the
result, there are libbfd.la and libopcodes.la when "make install"
is done on binutils. Is there a particular reason to install libfoo.la?

Thanks.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.org)

* Re: Why is libfoo.la is installed?
@ 1998-03-02 11:50 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 1998-03-02 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H.J. Lu; +Cc: bug-libtool, gas2, Ian Lance Taylor, gord

H J Lu writes:

> libtool installs libfoo.la along with libfoo.so and libfoo.a. As the
> result, there are libbfd.la and libopcodes.la when "make install"
> is done on binutils. Is there a particular reason to install libfoo.la?

Certainly.  Suppose libfoo is a library provided by your package.
Wouldn't you like other packages that build upon your library to get
correct library dependencies and run-time paths?  These are stored in
the .la file, so it should be installed, so that libtool can use it
later.  AFAIK, it currently doesn't such files from other packages,
but I believe it's intended to support this in the future.

--
Alexandre Oliva
mailto:oliva@dcc.unicamp.br mailto:aoliva@acm.org