public inbox for gcc-announce@gcc.gnu.org
* Announcing availability of GNU C++ Testrun harness & testsuite
@ 1999-03-29 17:52 Brendan Kehoe
From: Brendan Kehoe @ 1999-03-29 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs-announce

I'm pleased to announce the availability of the GNU C++ Testrun testing
harness that can be used to do relatively painless automated testing of g++.

It's currently only available via checkout by CVS, mostly because of the time
involved in creating snapshots.  (Anyone interested in volunteering to do this
part of it, please drop me a note.  Note the files would probably be rather
large.)  The packages that are included are meant to be used only for
testing---in no way is this an official distribution point for them.

To get the tree, do

	cvs -d egcs.cygnus.com:/cvs/egcs co testrun

It's a set of scripts to automate testing of g++ to build/run a variety of
packages that are written in C++.  In the "g++-tests" subdirectory are copies
of various packages.  None are in any way to be considered official
distributions, or are intended for use by anything other than these test runs.

The README file in the toplevel directory is the basic information about the
testrun framework.

Using it should be as easy as checking it out then running

	./DO --force-all

If your sources are somewhere other than $HOME/egcs, you can point it at them
with

	./DO --srcdir=/work/src/egcs --force-all

and replacing `/work/src/egcs' above with whatever directory currently has
your egcs source tree.

See the README for info on how to run specific tests, etc.

There are some packages that will not build under linux, or recently have
troubles w/ some egcs changes.  Those are okay---what's intended with this
package is to point out exactly those things.  People should be able to easily
run the tests and verify that some changes they're making to the compiler
aren't destined to cause failures in other areas.  Also, anyone can run the
tests to find problems that were recently introduced and in need of fixing.

Those are what this whole thing's about---making it easier for anyone to run
these tests and find problems.  People could set it up to automatically run on
their own machine, so they can share results with others.  I'm also interested
in seeing what other packages people know about but aren't currently
incorporated in the system.

Volunteers who'd like to work on integrating other packages should drop me a
note so we can try to coordinate the effort.

people can join to see changes as they're added.  Write to the address
`egcs-cvs-testrun-subscribe@egcs.cygnus.com' to join it.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Thanks!

Brendan Kehoe
Cygnus Solutions
brendan@cygnus.com

--
Brendan Kehoe                                               brendan@cygnus.com
Cygnus Solutions, Sunnyvale, CA                                +1 408 542 9600

Web page: http://www.zen.org/~brendan/

only message in thread, other threads:[~1999-03-29 17:52 UTC | newest]