public inbox for gcc-announce@gcc.gnu.org
* Changes concerning GCC snapshots (and releases)
@ 2003-07-02 22:13 Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2003-07-02 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-announce; +Cc: gcc

For some time now, I have been working to update how our weekly snapshots
(as we distribute them from ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/snapshots and many
mirror sites) are run, and have already made the following changes:

 o Weekly snapshots are only available in .bz2 format, which allows
   for noticeably smaller archives.

 o We abandoned and removed the gcc_latest_snapshot CVS tag.

 o Diff files now reside in a subdirectory "diffs/" of the respective
   snapshot directories.

The last item also applies to future releases of GCC, which we will
continue to ship in both .gz and .bz2 formats.

In addition, I am working on the following further changes:

 o The names of the snapshot directories shall include the name of the
   relevant branch in GCC's CVS repository or the string "mainline" in
   addition to the date.

   For example, while the last snapshot was labelled gcc_ss_20030630,
   the next one probably will be labelled gcc-ss-3_3-20030707.

 o Later, this will also apply to individual archive files.

 o And, finally, we want to provide snapshots both off mainline and the
   currently active release branch (currently, the 3.3 branch).

If you have any questions, comments, or complaints concerning these
changes, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)   gerald@pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-07-02 22:13 UTC | newest]