* Problems Configuring GCC
@ 2001-03-05  6:37 wezy726
From: wezy726 @ 2001-03-05  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Greetings, all.  I am trying to build
gcc-2.95.2 along with a slew of other programming utils in an attempt to make a
"linux from scratch" system.  In order to do this, I figured I would try
gcc's ability to make other needed programs if there is a link to them in the
top level gcc src tree.  My problem is not with the actual compilation
(yet); the configure script breaks when trying to configure gzip.
Starting from a plain RadHat 7.0 dist, here's what
I did:

Create a suitable directory to install new system
(henceforth called LFS).

Populate LFS with dir structure (/bin, /usr, et
al), basic static binaries (make, gcc-2.96-69(RedHat's latest gcc spin-off),
binutils, texinfo, gawk, sed, grep, flex, fileutils, textutils, shellutils,
bash, bzip2, diffutils), and libraries (glibc-2.2.1 w/ linuxthreads add-on and
linux-2.4.2 w/ crypto patch)

Unpack gcc, gzip, autoconf, automake, bash,
binutils, bison, bzip2, fileutils, findutils, flex, gawk, gettext, grep,
libtool, m4, make, patch, perl, sed, sh-utils, tar, texinfo, and textutils into
LFS/usr/src

Place symbolic links to the directories created in
the gcc-2.95.2 dir.  The links are named what they link to sans
version.
i.e. gcc-2.95.2/gzip is a symbolic link to
../gzip-1.2.4a

I then chrooted to LFS, what follows are my command
lines:

mkdir /usr/src/objdir

cd /usr/src/objdir

../gcc*/configure --enable-shared --with-gnu-as
--with-gnu-ld i686-pc-linux-gnu

The configure script runs and, of course, vomits
everything to the screen.
The last three lines before breaking
are:

Configuring gzip...
configure:
gcc-version-trigger=/usr/src/gcc-2.95.2/gcc/version.c: invalid package
name
Configure in /usr/src/objdir/gzip failed,
exiting.

The version.c file (as you probably know) contains
the single line:

char *version_string = "2.95.2 19991024
(release)";

This is where I get stumped...  Any insight
into this matter will be greatly appreciated.

PS --  In case you are wondering, every
program I listed is the latest version from metalab.unc.edu except the RedHat
gcc, but that is not being used after one successful pass through the
compilation process.

PPS -- I realize now that there is a patch
necessary to compile gcc-2.95.2 using glibc-2.2.1 which I hve not applied.
However, the system broke before compilation begun so I do not think the patch
is the problem here.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2001-03-05  6:37 UTC | newest]