* gcc-322 and gcc461
@ 2011-08-02  2:59 Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2011-08-02  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

    I have 322 versions or gcc and g++ installed along with their
development libraries. gcc compiles fine and I have a working 461 C
compiler. g++ not so much. I get this error when I try to run an executable.

./a: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open

The library is there. I don't know why it can't be found. Is the linker not
able to find libstc++.so.6 ? I am using an older linker but I don't know if
2.21.1 would help I can put it into the system though. ld.so seems to be
working because it can find mpc mpfr and gmp libraries without me manually
having to use the switches.

    Any idea what's wrong?

Bill

* Re: gcc-322 and gcc461
@ 2011-08-02  4:18 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2011-08-02  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Cunningham; +Cc: gcc-help

"Bill Cunningham" <billcun@suddenlink.net> writes:

>    I have 322 versions or gcc and g++ installed along with their
> development libraries. gcc compiles fine and I have a working 461 C
> compiler. g++ not so much. I get this error when I try to run an
> executable.
>
> ./a: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open
>
> The library is there. I don't know why it can't be found. Is the
> linker not able to find libstc++.so.6 ? I am using an older linker but
> I don't know if 2.21.1 would help I can put it into the system
> though. ld.so seems to be working because it can find mpc mpfr and gmp
> libraries without me manually having to use the switches.
>
>    Any idea what's wrong?

The dynamic linker can't find the library at runtime.  man ldconfig.

Ian

* Re: gcc-322 and gcc461
@ 2011-08-02 12:55 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2011-08-02 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Cunningham; +Cc: gcc-help

On 2 August 2011 03:59, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>   I have 322 versions or gcc and g++ installed along with their development
> libraries. gcc compiles fine and I have a working 461 C compiler. g++ not so
> much. I get this error when I try to run an executable.
>
> ./a: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open
>
> The library is there. I don't know why it can't be found. Is the linker not
> able to find libstc++.so.6 ? I am using an older linker but I don't know if
> 2.21.1 would help I can put it into the system though. ld.so seems to be
> working because it can find mpc mpfr and gmp libraries without me manually
> having to use the switches.
>
>   Any idea what's wrong?

I already answered this offlist when you emailed me about it:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/faq.html#faq.how_to_set_paths

* Re: gcc-322 and gcc461
@ 2011-08-02 17:02   ` Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2011-08-02 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: gcc-help

Jonathan Wakely wrote:

> I already answered this offlist when you emailed me about it:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/faq.html#faq.how_to_set_paths

    I did not recieve your reply or accidently deleted your mail. Thanks for
the link. I was wondering when you were going to respond. Maybe it got lost
in the emails.

Bill