* Multithreaded gcc on HP-UX 11?
@ 2002-06-06 10:54 Rob Lugt
From: Rob Lugt @ 2002-06-06 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I wish to build a multi-threaded C++ application on HP-UX 11 using g++.
However, the GCC installation notes [1] say that

"Thread support is not currently implemented for this platform,
so --enable-threads does not work."

I wonder...
1) Is there an existing patch to fix this
2) Are there any older versions of GCC that do work on HP-UX 11?

I have tried using GCC 3.0 on this system (I don't know if it included
special patches - I didn't build it), and my multi-threaded test application
crashes intermittently, apparently within try/catch processing.

Many thanks
Rob Lugt

[1] http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#hppa*-hp-hpux11

* Re: Multithreaded gcc on HP-UX 11?
@ 2002-06-06 11:01 ` law
From: law @ 2002-06-06 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Lugt; +Cc: gcc-help

In message <044f01c20d83$95564110$0400a8c0@scott>, "Rob Lugt" writes:
 > I wish to build a multi-threaded C++ application on HP-UX 11 using g++.
 > However, the GCC installation notes [1] say that
 >
 > "Thread support is not currently implemented for this platform,
 > so --enable-threads does not work."
 >
 > I wonder...
 > 1) Is there an existing patch to fix this
 > 2) Are there any older versions of GCC that do work on HP-UX 11?
 >
 > I have tried using GCC 3.0 on this system (I don't know if it included
 > special patches - I didn't build it), and my multi-threaded test application
 > crashes intermittently, apparently within try/catch processing.
HP changed much of the underlying thread APIs in hpux11 and GCC has
not yet been updated to deal with those changes.  I've recently been
given a hunk of code to help with this issue, but I haven't had the
time to look at it at all yet.

jeff

* RE: Multithreaded gcc on HP-UX 11?
@ 2002-06-06 15:32   ` Charles Y. Kim
From: Charles Y. Kim @ 2002-06-06 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law, 'Rob Lugt'; +Cc: gcc-help

Does this mean that even though my GCC3.0.4 configuration looks like this:

/opt/ckim/gcc-3.0.4/configure --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enabl
e-version-specific-runtime-libs --prefix=/opt/gcc-3.0.4 --with-gnu-as --with
-as=/opt/binutils/bin/as
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.0.4

(note the Thread model: posix)

That threads aren't working on my HP11i?

- Charles

@ 2002-06-07 13:07     ` law
From: law @ 2002-06-07 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ckim; +Cc: 'Rob Lugt', gcc-help

In message <001e01c20da9$d376fd60$4a01000a@sanjose.telcontar.com>, "Charles Y.
Kim" writes:
 > Does this mean that even though my GCC3.0.4 configuration looks like this:
 >
 > /opt/ckim/gcc-3.0.4/configure --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enabl
 > e-version-specific-runtime-libs --prefix=/opt/gcc-3.0.4 --with-gnu-as --with
 > -as=/opt/binutils/bin/as
 > Thread model: posix
 > gcc version 3.0.4
 >
 > (note the Thread model: posix)
 >
 > That threads aren't working on my HP11i?
They'll work with some limitations.  The biggest reason the compiler needs
to know about the underlying thread model is to properly support exception
handling in C++.  So if you're not using exception handling, then things ought
to work reasonably well in a multi-threaded program compiled bug GCC on
hpux11.

jeff