* cross compiling question
@ 2003-10-07 13:15 Sheryl Canter
From: Sheryl Canter @ 2003-10-07 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I'm new to the GCC compiler, so please excuse my very basic questions.

I'm running Windows 2000 on my development computer and I want to compile
programs for a Linux server. Can I do this with GCC? How do I set the
target?

Thanks in advance.

* need help compiling for Windows
@ 2003-10-08  2:27 ` Sheryl Canter
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Sheryl Canter @ 2003-10-08  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I've been trying all day to compile GCC for Windows, and I just can't do it.
I'm using the MinGW compiler as a boot compiler and cygwin for the
environment. I added c:\mingw\bin to the path, but I keep getting this error
message:

c:mingwbingcc.exe: not found
*** The command 'c:mingwbingcc.exe -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

I don't know why it isn't showing the slashes in the path. When I type "env"
at the shell prompt, the path is correct.

What am I doing wrong here? I'm wasting hours and hours and getting nowhere.
Do I need a CC environment variable? If so, please give me the precise
syntax. I have no experience with Linux.

Thanks in advance.

    - Sheryl

* Re: need help compiling for Windows
@ 2003-10-08  4:52   ` Sheryl Canter
From: Sheryl Canter @ 2003-10-08  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Now I've tried MSys and I get the same error:

c:/software/gcc/gcc-3.3.1/configure: c:mingwbingcc.exe: command not found
*** The command 'c:mingwbingcc.exe -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

PLEASE someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've tried every possible value
of CC that I can think of, and nothing works.

@ 2003-10-08  5:16   ` Philip Walford
From: Philip Walford @ 2003-10-08  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sheryl Canter; +Cc: gcc-help

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 12:27, Sheryl Canter wrote:
> I've been trying all day to compile GCC for Windows, and I just can't do it.
> I'm using the MinGW compiler as a boot compiler and cygwin for the
> environment. I added c:\mingw\bin to the path, but I keep getting this error
> message:

You said you're using cygwin?  Then you need to translate your paths to
use '/' rather than '\'.  Since cygwin is unix-like, '\x' is treated as
a way of escaping 'x'.  To include a '\' literally, you need '\\'.

Philip.

* Re: need help compiling for Windows
@ 2003-10-08  5:26     ` Sheryl Canter
From: Sheryl Canter @ 2003-10-08  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Walford; +Cc: gcc-help

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not the answer.

I'm now using MSYS because it's more straightforward, but I can't get that
to work either. In my profile file, I have this line:

CC=gcc CXX=gcc

This seems to be correct because when I type just $CC on a line in MSys it
lists the correct file:

$ $CC
gcc.exe: no input files

I also have my mingw directory correctly bound to MSYS in fstab:

C:/mingw   /mingw

The directory /c/mingw/bin is in my path.

When I try to configure gcc, I get this:

Administrator@TPA21P /c/gcc-objdir
$
c:/Software/gcc/gcc-3.3.1/configure --prefix=c:/gcc-3.3.1 --with-local-prefi
=c:/gcc/3.3.1
Configuring for a i686-pc-mingw32 host.
*** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
     target-libffi target-boehm-gc target-zlib target-libjava
    (Any other directories should still work fine.)
Created "Makefile" in /c/gcc-objdir using "mh-frag"
c:/Software/gcc/gcc-3.3.1/configure: c:mingwbingcc.exe: command not found
*** The command 'c:mingwbingcc.exe -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

I'm at my wits end over this. I've been at it all day and all evening. It's
nearly 2am.

    - Sheryl

@ 2003-10-08 13:36   ` Sheryl Canter
From: Sheryl Canter @ 2003-10-08 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Found the problem... The prefix directory didn't exist. For some reason I
thought configure would create it. I created it manually, and now it's
running. I'm not sure it will run correctly, but at least it's running.

    - Sheryl

I've been trying all day to compile GCC for Windows, and I just can't do it.
I'm using the MinGW compiler as a boot compiler and cygwin for the
environment. I added c:\mingw\bin to the path, but I keep getting this error
message:

c:mingwbingcc.exe: not found
*** The command 'c:mingwbingcc.exe -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

I don't know why it isn't showing the slashes in the path. When I type "env"
at the shell prompt, the path is correct.

What am I doing wrong here? I'm wasting hours and hours and getting nowhere.
Do I need a CC environment variable? If so, please give me the precise
syntax. I have no experience with Linux.

Thanks in advance.

    - Sheryl

* need help compiling gcc for Windows
@ 2003-10-08 16:08     ` Sheryl Canter
From: Sheryl Canter @ 2003-10-08 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

The configure is completing correctly (as far as I can tell), but the
build didn't work. It works up to this point:

------------
Bootstrapping the compiler
make[1]: Entering directory `/c/gcc-objdir/gcc'
make AR_FOR_TARGET="ar" \
        RANLIB_FOR_TARGET="ranlib" \
        CC="gcc" libdir=/c/gcc-3.3.1/lib LANGUAGES="c " \
        CFLAGS="-g " MAKEINFO="makeinfo --no-split" \
        MAKEINFOFLAGS="" COVERAGE_FLAGS=
make[2]: Entering directory `/c/gcc-objdir/gcc'
./gengtype
/c/gcc-srcdir/gcc-3.3.1/gcc/../include/ansidecl.h: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [s-gtype] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/c/gcc-objdir/gcc'
make[1]: *** [stage1_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/gcc-objdir/gcc'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
------------

That file spec with the error message looks a little strange, but it
correctly points to the file. ansidecl.h can be found here:

/c/gcc-srcdir/gcc-3.3.1/include/ansidecl.h

Any idea why the build didn't work? How do I correct this problem?

    - Sheryl

* Re: need help compiling gcc for Windows
@ 2003-10-08 21:15       ` Sheryl Canter
From: Sheryl Canter @ 2003-10-08 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Please, somebody help me with this! I'm completely stuck.

@ 2003-10-08 22:38         ` Sheryl Canter
From: Sheryl Canter @ 2003-10-08 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

If no ideas on the problem below, then at least help me to find it myself?

I'm knew to Unix and can't tell exactly what is happening when I issue the
command "make bootstrap". If I knew what files were being executed, perhaps
I could find the problem.

Someone please help??

    - Sheryl

@ 2003-10-09 14:26           ` Andy Howell
From: Andy Howell @ 2003-10-09 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: Sheryl Canter

Sheryl Canter wrote:
> If no ideas on the problem below, then at least help me to find it myself?
>
> I'm knew to Unix and can't tell exactly what is happening when I issue the
> command "make bootstrap". If I knew what files were being executed, perhaps
> I could find the problem.
>
> Someone please help??
>
>     - Sheryl

Its been a long time since I built gcc, and never have done it on
windows...

Is gengtype a shell script? If so, cd to /c/gcc-objdir/gcc and run:

sh -x ./gengtype

This may give some idea why it is not finding the file.

If it is an binary executable, then if you have the "strace" command,
you could do

strace -o out ./gengtype

Look in the file 'out' to see what it doing. You could grep:

egrep 'open|stat' out

Which will show you the files that gengtype is trying to open or find
info on (stat).

Hope this helps.

Andy

* Re: need help compiling gcc for Windows
@ 2003-10-09 15:20             ` Sheryl Canter
From: Sheryl Canter @ 2003-10-09 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Howell, gcc-help

Someone on the mingw-msys list was able to identify the problem. I was using
a hardcoded paths instead of relative ones to execute configure, and this
was causing confusion for gengtype. When I switched to a relative path, the
problem went away. Of course, now I have a new problem. It's still not
building.

    - Sheryl

@ 2003-10-09 15:23           ` Sheryl Canter
From: Sheryl Canter @ 2003-10-09 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I'm still trying to compile gcc for Windows using msys/mingw, and having
problems. It's failing at a certain point in the build (error output below).
Can anyone tell me how to deal with this? I installed w32api and
mingw-runtime into the prefix directory before building (someone suggested
this to me), but it didn't help. The script still is not finding the header
files. Where are they supposed to go?

    - Sheryl

---------------------

if [ -f stmp-dirs ]; then true; else touch stmp-dirs; fi
/c/gcc-obj-win/gcc/xgcc -B/c/gcc-obj-win/gcc/ -B../gcc-windows/mingw32/bin/
-B../gcc-windows/mingw32/lib/ -isystem
../gcc-windows/mingw32/include -O2 -I../../gcc-src/gcc/../winsup/include -I.
./../gcc-src/gcc/../winsup/cygwin/include -I../../gcc-src/gcc/../winsup/w32a
pi/include -DIN_GCC    -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissin
g-prototypes -isystem
./include   -g -DHAVE_GTHR_DEFAULT -DIN_LIBGCC2 -D__GCC_FLOAT_NOT_NEEDED  -I
. -I. -I../../gcc-src/gcc -I../../gcc-src/gcc/. -I../../gcc-src/gcc/config -
I../../gcc-src/gcc/../include  -DL_muldi3 -c ../../gcc-src/gcc/libgcc2.c -o
libgcc/./_muldi3.o
In file included from ../../gcc-src/gcc/config/i386/mingw32.h:32,
                 from tconfig.h:17,
                 from ../../gcc-src/gcc/libgcc2.c:36:
../../gcc-src/gcc/config/i386/cygwin.h:30:19: stdio.h: No such file or
directory
In file included from ../../gcc-src/gcc/config/i386/mingw32.h:32,
                 from tconfig.h:17,
                 from ../../gcc-src/gcc/libgcc2.c:36:
../../gcc-src/gcc/config/i386/cygwin.h:415: error: parse error before '*'
token
../../gcc-src/gcc/config/i386/cygwin.h:415: warning: function declaration
isn't a prototype
../../gcc-src/gcc/config/i386/cygwin.h:417: error: parse error before '*'
token
../../gcc-src/gcc/config/i386/cygwin.h:417: warning: function declaration
isn't a prototype
In file included from ../../gcc-src/gcc/libgcc2.c:37:
../../gcc-src/gcc/tsystem.h:72:19: stdio.h: No such file or directory
../../gcc-src/gcc/tsystem.h:75:23: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
../../gcc-src/gcc/tsystem.h:78:19: errno.h: No such file or directory
../../gcc-src/gcc/tsystem.h:85:20: string.h: No such file or directory
../../gcc-src/gcc/tsystem.h:89:20: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
../../gcc-src/gcc/tsystem.h:90:20: unistd.h: No such file or directory
In file included from c:/gcc-obj-win/gcc/include/limits.h:122,
                 from c:/gcc-obj-win/gcc/include/syslimits.h:7,
                 from c:/gcc-obj-win/gcc/include/limits.h:11,
                 from ../../gcc-src/gcc/tsystem.h:93,
                 from ../../gcc-src/gcc/libgcc2.c:37:
include/limits.h:122:75: no include path in which to find limits.h
In file included from ../../gcc-src/gcc/libgcc2.c:37:
../../gcc-src/gcc/tsystem.h:96:18: time.h: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [libgcc/./_muldi3.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/c/gcc-obj-win/gcc'
make[1]: *** [libgcc.a] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/gcc-obj-win/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

* Re: need help compiling gcc for Windows
@ 2003-10-09 18:48             ` Sheryl Canter
From: Sheryl Canter @ 2003-10-09 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I found the problem with the headers. It was in the way I was specifying the
paths in the configure statement. The path to the configure file has to be
relative, and the paths to the prefix directories have to be hardcoded, Unix
style (not Windows style).

Now I have a new error:

-------------
/c/gcc-obj-win/gcc/xgcc -shared-libgcc -B/c/gcc-obj-win/gcc/ -nostdinc++ -L/
c/gcc-obj-win/mingw32/libstdc++-v3/src -L/c/gcc-obj-win/mingw32/libstdc++-v3
/src/.libs -B/c/gcc-windows/mingw32/bin/ -B/c/gcc-windows/mingw32/lib/ -isys
tem
/c/gcc-windows/mingw32/include -nostdinc++ -I/c/gcc-obj-win/mingw32/libstdc+
+-v3/include/mingw32 -I/c/gcc-obj-win/mingw32/libstdc++-v3/include -I../../.
./../gcc-src/libstdc++-v3/libsupc++ -I../../../../gcc-src/libstdc++-v3/libma
th -g -O2 -fno-implicit-templates -Wall -Wno-format -W -Wwrite-strings -fdia
gnostics-show-location=once -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -c
basic_file.cc
cc1plus.exe: warning: -ffunction-sections may affect debugging on some
targets
basic_file.cc: In member function `streamsize
   std::__basic_file<char>::showmanyc_helper()':
basic_file.cc:246: error: `ioctl' undeclared (first use this function)
basic_file.cc:246: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
for
   each function it appears in.)
make[4]: *** [basic_file.lo] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/c/gcc-obj-win/mingw32/libstdc++-v3/src'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/c/gcc-obj-win/mingw32/libstdc++-v3'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/c/gcc-obj-win/mingw32/libstdc++-v3'
make[1]: *** [all-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/gcc-obj-win'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Any ideas?

    - Sheryl

@ 2003-10-09 21:53               ` Sheryl Canter
From: Sheryl Canter @ 2003-10-09 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I tried the exact script used to build mingw, and that solved the
problem--don't know exactly why.

Now I'll try the cross compiler for linux, which is my main goal.

    - Sheryl