* stubs-32.h missing.
@ 2008-08-19 19:51 Franklin Brown
From: Franklin Brown @ 2008-08-19 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I am attempting to install gcc compiler 4.2.4 onto our virtual private
server.  I needed to install gmp-4.2.3 and mpfr-2.3.0 before doing this.
After I began installation of gcc 4.2.4, towards the end, I received the
following error: /usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:7:27: error: gnu/stubs-32.h: No
such file or directory.

Little information is provided as to where I can find or install this header
file.  Is there some other library that I must install first?  Is there a
specific command that I need to use?  I used the usual ./configure and make
to install gcc.

My platform is x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
Current gcc compiler: version 4.1.1 20061011 (Red Hat 4.1.1-30)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Franklin Brown
brownfranklin2@verizon.net

* Re: stubs-32.h missing.
@ 2008-08-20  2:34 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-08-20  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brownfranklin2; +Cc: gcc-help

Franklin Brown wrote:

> After I began installation of gcc 4.2.4, towards the end, I received the
> following error: /usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:7:27: error: gnu/stubs-32.h: No
> such file or directory.

This has been asked and answered about a half dozen times on this list
recently.  Please see the archives:
<http://www.google.com/search?num=50&q=site%3Agcc.gnu.org+inurl%3Aml+inurl%3A%22gcc-help%22+stubs-32.h>

Brian

* RE: stubs-32.h missing.
@ 2008-08-20  2:37   ` Franklin Brown
From: Franklin Brown @ 2008-08-20  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Thank you for replying.  I typed in the following command: CFLAGS -m64
./configure --disable-multilib and was able to get cpp to work but still got
errors.  Tried installing the glibc package but was unsuccessfull.  I am
going to try an earlier version of gcc - 4.2.2 to see if that resolves the
problem.  If not, then I will have to investigate why glibc isn't working
properly.

Franklin

@ 2008-08-20  2:49   ` Franklin Brown
From: Franklin Brown @ 2008-08-20  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

BTW, what is the address that I can type into outlook express to view this
newsgroup.  This would make it easier to search the threads when I need
information.  Thanks.

Franklin Brown

@ 2008-08-20  3:02     ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-08-20  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brownfranklin2; +Cc: gcc-help

Franklin Brown wrote:

> Thank you for replying.  I typed in the following command: CFLAGS -m64
> ./configure --disable-multilib and was able to get cpp to work but still got

If you --disable-multilib you shouldn't need to set any CFLAGS.  Also
configuring in the source dir is not a good idea, have a look at
<http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html>.

> errors.  Tried installing the glibc package but was unsuccessfull.  I am
> going to try an earlier version of gcc - 4.2.2 to see if that resolves the
> problem.  If not, then I will have to investigate why glibc isn't working
> properly.

Pretty much all versions of gcc on x86_64 will require that header.
It's not that glibc is not working, it's that you don't have parts of
glibc installed.  I'm confident that every x86_64 distro out there has
the required support package in easy-to-install form because it's
required to support "gcc -m32".  It's just that they name it various
things.

> BTW, what is the address that I can type into outlook express to view this
> newsgroup.  This would make it easier to search the threads when I need
> information.  Thanks.

Personally, I do all searching of the mailing list with google.  As in
the URL I gave initially, you can use the keywords site:gcc.gnu.org
inurl:ml inurl:"gcc-help" to restrict the seach to just the archives of
this list (or other gcc mailing lists if you wish.)

Fundamentally this is a mailing list, not a newsgroup, so any newsgroup
interface that you find will be through a third party gateway.  You can
try gmane for example: <http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gcc.help>.

Brian

* RE: stubs-32.h missing.
@ 2008-08-20  4:04       ` Franklin Brown
From: Franklin Brown @ 2008-08-20  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: brian

Thank you.  I am downloading glibc 2.7 now and will try to install that.
Glibc 2.4 would not install for some reason, but I cannot remember the
error.

Franklin

@ 2008-08-20  4:19       ` Franklin Brown
From: Franklin Brown @ 2008-08-20  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: brian

Installed glibc

Installed gcc-4.2.4 in a separate directory.  Configured with
--disable-multilib.  Didn't get the stubs-32.h error anymore but got another
that said, "xgcc: Internal error: Terminated (program cc1).  Please submit a
full bug report".  CPP is the only one that works.

Did make check on glibc-2.7 and got Internal error, please submit bug
report.

Franklin

 ..

@ 2008-08-20 11:07 ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 2008-08-20 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brownfranklin2; +Cc: gcc-help

Franklin Brown wrote:

> I am attempting to install gcc compiler 4.2.4 onto our virtual private
> server.  I needed to install gmp-4.2.3 and mpfr-2.3.0 before doing this.
> After I began installation of gcc 4.2.4, towards the end, I received the
> following error: /usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:7:27: error: gnu/stubs-32.h: No
> such file or directory.
>
> Little information is provided as to where I can find or install this header
> file.  Is there some other library that I must install first?  Is there a
> specific command that I need to use?  I used the usual ./configure and make
> to install gcc.
>
> My platform is x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> Current gcc compiler: version 4.1.1 20061011 (Red Hat 4.1.1-30)

Ok, you have a Fedora Core 6 distro or one of those RHEL distros, at
least the FC6 has that gcc-4.1.1-30 RPMS... In that FC6 case something
like:

ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/Linux/mirrors/fedora/linux/core/6/x86_64/os/Fedora/RPMS

will keep the required RPM, this one had 'glibc-devel-2.5-3.i386.rpm'
for your possible FC6 needs related to 32-bit development...

I cannot guess on which level you are as a user, why you couldn't just
use something like "Applications / Add or remove programs / Development
packages / 32-bit development headers and libraries" from the provided
Gnome GUI... Or use the 'rpm' install program in a "shell", "command
prompt", "terminal" or something after all the advices got here from the
friendly people and then looking what could be needed and then
downloading that if using those "automatic install from the net" choices
in the GUI will go over your head... The previous route was taken from
my Fedora 8 but the FC6 GUI could have had everything somewhere else :)

You can seemingly download sources but seemingly not any pre-made
original distro RPMs and update RPMs for your distro - so updating parts
in your system (without rebuilding them from sources).  Maybe there is
no "automatic update" for FC6 or your RHEL any more so just using the
GUI choices doesn't work...

* Re: stubs-32.h missing.
@ 2008-08-20 11:25   ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2008-08-20 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Ruottu; +Cc: brownfranklin2, gcc-help

Kai Ruottu wrote:
> Franklin Brown wrote:
>
>> I am attempting to install gcc compiler 4.2.4 onto our virtual private
>> server.  I needed to install gmp-4.2.3 and mpfr-2.3.0 before doing
>> this. After I began installation of gcc 4.2.4, towards the end, I
>> received the
>> following error: /usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:7:27: error: gnu/stubs-32.h: No
>> such file or directory.
>>
>> Little information is provided as to where I can find or install this
>> header
>> file.  Is there some other library that I must install first?  Is there a
>> specific command that I need to use?  I used the usual ./configure and
>> make
>> to install gcc.
>>
>> My platform is x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>> Current gcc compiler: version 4.1.1 20061011 (Red Hat 4.1.1-30)
>
> Ok, you have a Fedora Core 6 distro or one of those RHEL distros, at
> least the FC6 has that gcc-4.1.1-30 RPMS... In that FC6 case something
> like:
>
> ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/Linux/mirrors/fedora/linux/core/6/x86_64/os/Fedora/RPMS
>

> will keep the required RPM, this one had 'glibc-devel-2.5-3.i386.rpm'
> for your possible FC6 needs related to 32-bit development...

If it's recent Fedora,

 yum install glibc-devel.i386

ought to do it.

Andrew.

* Re: stubs-32.h missing.
@ 2008-08-20 12:16         ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 2008-08-20 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brownfranklin2; +Cc: gcc-help

Franklin Brown wrote:

> Thank you.  I am downloading glibc 2.7 now and will try to install that.
> Glibc 2.4 would not install for some reason, but I cannot remember the
> error.

You shouldn't have done things like these ever!  The base system
including those "run-time libraries" shouldn't ever be touched!
Unless one really knows what one is doing...

One could consider updating the binutils and GCC in '/usr/bin' etc
but as default this will not happen. When one builds binutils or GCC
the '--prefix=/usr/local' is the default...

Replacing the system glibc is something which most people will never
try because after that the whole system may be totally non-working...

I myself always suggest people to use the original pre-made glibc etc.
for the target system even in those cross compiler cases, so if someone
wants the cross-built apps to work on a FC6 system, one has better to
use those original FC6 glibc-2.5, X11, GTK, KDE etc. libraries than to
try to replace them with "totally self-made" components. This really
weird attitude however seems to be very common among the cross-GCC
builders, it is not enough that people only build the target binutils,
GCC and possibly GDB, people also will rebuild all the (already built
and tested) target libraries for some weird "bolshevistic" reason
("Anything which was made earlier should not be used - everything must
be made from absolute scratch again").

Maybe this weird attitude, "everything in a GCC : binutils, GCC and
glibc, should be rebuilt from pristine FSF sources!", has now appeared
into the native GCC builds too :(

* Re: stubs-32.h missing.
@ 2008-08-20 13:37           ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2008-08-20 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Ruottu; +Cc: brownfranklin2, gcc-help

Kai Ruottu wrote:
> Franklin Brown wrote:
>
>> Thank you.  I am downloading glibc 2.7 now and will try to install that.
>> Glibc 2.4 would not install for some reason, but I cannot remember the
>> error.
>
> You shouldn't have done things like these ever!  The base system
> including those "run-time libraries" shouldn't ever be touched!
> Unless one really knows what one is doing...

Kai is right.  Please just install glibc-devel.i386.

Andrew.

* RE: stubs-32.h missing.
@ 2008-08-20 13:45           ` Franklin Brown
From: Franklin Brown @ 2008-08-20 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Kai Ruottu'; +Cc: gcc-help

Glibc was never installed on the server in the first place.  I did whereis
glibc and it showed nothing, yet when I did this on a local linux box, it
found it.  This is why I needed to install it.  I did, however, install it
in an alternate directory "--prefix=/brown".

Franklin

@ 2008-08-20 14:28             ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2008-08-20 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brownfranklin2; +Cc: 'Kai Ruottu', gcc-help

Please don't top-post.

Franklin Brown wrote:
> Glibc was never installed on the server in the first place.  I did whereis
> glibc and it showed nothing, yet when I did this on a local linux box, it
> found it.  This is why I needed to install it.  I did, however, install it
> in an alternate directory "--prefix=/brown".

I think you will find that glibc was, in fact, installed.

ls -l /lib/libc.*
or /lib64/libc.so.*

What wasn't installed was glibc-devel.

Andrew.