* compilation problems with gcc 3.0
@ 2001-06-21  0:54 Anupam Kapoor
From: Anupam Kapoor @ 2001-06-21  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

hi,

i just downloaded the 3.0 release and was able to build it
successfully. i am running debian potato release.
when i try to compile a simple "hello_world" program using
c++, i get
"undefined symbol __dso_handle" in the libstdc++.
although an nm on the library shows the symbol to be defined.

can someone please point out as to what i am doing wrong
here.

thanks
anupam

* Re: compilation problems with gcc 3.0
@ 2001-06-21  1:03 ` Anupam Kapoor
From: Anupam Kapoor @ 2001-06-21  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Thursday 21 June 2001 00:53, Anupam Kapoor wrote:
forgot to mention, i am running 2.4.2 kernel with glibc 2.1.3

thanks
anupam

@ 2001-06-21  4:50 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-06-21  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anupam Kapoor; +Cc: gcc-help

On Jun 21, 2001, Anupam Kapoor <anupamkap@earthlink.net> wrote:

> c++, i get
> "undefined symbol __dso_handle" in the libstdc++.

You need a newer version of binutils.

* Re: compilation problems with gcc 3.0
@ 2001-06-21  9:07   ` Anupam Kapoor
From: Anupam Kapoor @ 2001-06-21  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Thursday 21 June 2001 04:50, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Jun 21, 2001, Anupam Kapoor <anupamkap@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > c++, i get
> > "undefined symbol __dso_handle" in the libstdc++.
>
> You need a newer version of binutils.
thanks. that worked. i compiled it using the --enable-threads too, and
everyting seems to be ok.

however a small problem, a simple "hello_world" style program using c++ is
now about 24k in size as opposed to about 3.7k  using the older compiler.

in both the instances, i am pulling in the entire std namespace (which i know
is pretty draconian)  but still 24k for a hello world program, that's sounds
goofy.

can someone please point out any eoe on my part. here is the relevant
information from the compiler :

Reading specs from ./../lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.0/specs
Configured with: ../../sources/gcc-3.0/configure
--prefix=/home/anupam/usr/local --with-gnu-as
--with-as=/home/anupam/usr/local/bin/as --with-gnu-ld
--with-ld=/home/anupam/usr/local/bin/ld --enable-threads
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.0

@ 2001-06-21 12:55     ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-06-21 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anupam Kapoor; +Cc: gcc-help

On Jun 21, 2001, Anupam Kapoor <anupamkap@earthlink.net> wrote:

> however a small problem, a simple "hello_world" style program using c++ is
> now about 24k in size as opposed to about 3.7k  using the older compiler.

Before or after stripping?

The main difference is that iostreams are now fully templatized, as
demanded by the C++ standard, do you get implicit instantiations of
the templates into your object file and executable.  Try
-fno-implicit-templates, if size matters.

* Re: compilation problems with gcc 3.0
@ 2001-06-22  0:14       ` Anupam Kapoor
From: Anupam Kapoor @ 2001-06-22  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Thursday 21 June 2001 12:55, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Jun 21, 2001, Anupam Kapoor <anupamkap@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > however a small problem, a simple "hello_world" style program using c++
> > is now about 24k in size as opposed to about 3.7k  using the older
> > compiler.
>
> Before or after stripping?

that is after stripping the binaries.

> The main difference is that iostreams are now fully templatized, as
> demanded by the C++ standard, do you get implicit instantiations of
> the templates into your object file and executable.  Try
> -fno-implicit-templates, if size matters.

thanks !!! that works. the original gcc release is about 1.2k smaller than
the new one.

thanks a lot.

       [not found] <20010621113529.A7009@dragon.jarvis.com>
@ 2001-06-22  0:21 ` Anupam Kapoor
From: Anupam Kapoor @ 2001-06-22  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: Michael Jarvis

On Thursday 21 June 2001 09:35, Michael Jarvis wrote:
> I think you need to specify "--enable-shared" when you configure in order
> to build a shared libstdc++.
>
> I built gcc-2.95.3 with:
>
> ../gcc-2.95.3/configure --prefix=/home/gcc --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld \
> 	--enable-threads=posix --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs \
> 	--enable-languages=c++ --enable-shared
>
> I'm still trying to get gcc-3.0 to build.  :-)
>
> Good luck!

no actually you don't have to explicitly specify building the shared
libraries. they are enabled by default (this has been enabled from
the current release of gcc. earlier releases warranted an explicit
decleration to this effect, as you have shown above). if your target cannot
generate shared objects, then static libs will be generated for you. however,
you can explicitly control, what libs are generated from the compile  e.g.
gcc, libstdc++, gc-boehm etc.

i  would be glad to know, of any eoe in the statment above though.

thanks

anupam