* porting gcc version 2.72
@ 2003-01-29 19:01 Roger.Gough
From: Roger.Gough @ 2003-01-29 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi All,

	I am looking for some help in porting GCC version 2.7.2 to a dsp
processor. I have the necessary machine description files, i.e
dsp16xx.c,dsp16xx.h, and dsp16xx.md.

	I start of in my source directory and do my configuration as
follows:

roger_gough@Craggy:~/gcc-2.7.2> ./configure --target=dsp16xx
This appears to be a i686-unknown-linux system.
Using `./config/dsp16xx/dsp16xx.c' to output insns.
Using `./config/dsp16xx/dsp16xx.md' as machine description file.
Using `./config/dsp16xx/dsp16xx.h' as target machine macro file.
Using `./config/i386/xm-linux.h' as host machine macro file.
Merged x-linux.
Merged c++ fragment(s).
Created `./Makefile'.
Merged x-linux.
Created `cp/Makefile'.
Links are now set up to build a cross-compiler for dsp16xx-unknown-none
  from i686-unknown-linux.

	The configuration seems to be ok. I then move into my object
directory which is a subdirectory of my source directory to try and build my
port:

roger_gough@Craggy:~/gcc-2.7.2> cd objc
roger_gough@Craggy:~/gcc-2.7.2/objc> make

	However, at this point I get the following errors:

make[1]: *** [gcc.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/roger_gough/gcc-2.7.2'
make: *** [all] Error 2

1. Are these make errors problems with my code or do they arise because i am
attempting to build the port incorrectly?
2. Is it ok to have an object directory as a subdirectory of a source
directory as i did above?
3. I am using SuSe linux 8.0 which already has version GCC 3.2 running on
it. Should there be issues with trying to port GCC version 2.72?

I am new to GCC, which is probably obvious from above, but I would be very
grateful for any help. Thanks in advance.

Rgds

Roger.

* RE: porting gcc version 2.72
       [not found] <616BE6A276E3714788D2AC35C40CD18DA0BD60@whale.softwire.co.uk>
@ 2003-01-30  9:27 ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2003-01-30  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Roger.Gough'; +Cc: gcc-help

Roger Gough wrote:

> I am looking for some help in porting GCC version 2.7.2 to a dsp
> processor. I have the necessary machine description files, i.e
> dsp16xx.c,dsp16xx.h, and dsp16xx.md.

Sorry to ask but: why do you want to start with GCC 2.7.2 rather than
the latest version? You'll likely get better support from GCC developers
working with a later version since they'll be more familiar with the
code, plus there are years of bug fixes, extra optimisations, etc. since
2.7.2.

> 	However, at this point I get the following errors:
>
> make[1]: *** [gcc.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/roger_gough/gcc-2.7.2'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> 1. Are these make errors problems with my code or do they
> arise because i am attempting to build the port incorrectly?

It's a compilation error in gcc.o; make is aborting because the GCC
building gcc.o exited with an error. You'll have to show us a few more
lines up.

> 2. Is it ok to have an object directory as a subdirectory of a source
> directory as i did above?

I don't think it's recommended but there's no good reason it shouldn't
work. On the other hand, it's easy for you to put the object directory
elsewhere.

> 3. I am using SuSe linux 8.0 which already has version GCC 3.2
> running on it. Should there be issues with trying to port GCC
> version 2.72?

In theory, no. In practise, maybe - there might be problems compiling
very old codebases with newer GCCs. In particular, newer GCCs make
aliasing assumptions allowed by recent C standards; you might want to
look up the -f options for aliasing if you're having problems.

Good luck,
Rup.