* Building gcc 3.0.3 from source
@ 2002-01-12  3:51 Florian Bachmann
From: Florian Bachmann @ 2002-01-12  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

I have two questions concerning the 3.0.3 release of GCC. First of all,
is there a way of building the whole thing without going through all of
the bootstrap stages? It takes an awful lot of time on my mediocre Intel
P2/350 box and I have to rebuild not just once, but many times (for
producing RPM packages). Does configure-make-make install work, or is
there another make target that does the trick?

Secondly, I have run into problems with the "fixed" header files in the
.../lib/gcc-lib/.../include directory. Are the tools for generating
these files actually installed when issuing the "make install" command?
Maybe I messed up the installation process, but I don't get a fixincl
binary or shell script when installing gcc.

Kind regards

--
Florian Bachmann <f_bachmann@t-online.de>

* RE: Building gcc 3.0.3 from source
@ 2002-01-12  5:09   ` Florian Bachmann
From: Florian Bachmann @ 2002-01-12  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rupert Wood; +Cc: gcc-help

Rupert Wood wrote:
> > Does configure-make-make install work, or is there another make
> > target that does the trick?
>
> Yes, providing the build compiler is a similar version of GCC.

Ok, thanks.

> > Secondly, I have run into problems with the "fixed" header files in
> > the .../lib/gcc-lib/.../include directory. Are the tools for
> > generating these files actually installed when issuing the "make
> > install" command?
>
> No, they're not. Fixing is performed at GCC build time and only the
> fixed headers are installed.

Ouch. Since the generated files cover headers from other packages
(ncurses, X11, zlib and probably others) this is somewhat less than
ideal. Are the generated files essential for proper operation? If so,
the tools for fixing the header files should really be installed, don't
you think? Otherwise one would have to rebuild gcc whenever ncurses is
updated - shiver.

> Hope that helps,
> Rup.

Yes, thank you very much.

--

       [not found] <616BE6A276E3714788D2AC35C40CD18D2C56F5@whale.softwire.co.uk>
@ 2002-01-12  4:51 ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2002-01-12  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Florian Bachmann'; +Cc: gcc-help

Florian Bachmann wrote:

> Does configure-make-make install work, or is there another make
> target that does the trick?

Yes, providing the build compiler is a similar version of GCC. (You may
get away with a non-GCC that has high standards conformance, but I'm not
sure.) You lose the bootstrap compare, though, and you're on potentially
dangerous ground if the build compiler causes a code generation error in
the middle of GCC - I doubt such non-bootstrapped compilers get much
testing.

If you're willing to trust the bootstrap compare (and with released
compilers on a well-known system that's a fair bet) then you could
perform the first two stages of the bootstrap only - but I don't think
there's an existing target to do this. You'd have to edit the top level
makefile and/or perform a few manual steps from the gcc directory.