* has '-fno-implicit-templates' changed??
@ 2002-01-15 15:20 Albert F. Niessner
From: Albert F. Niessner @ 2002-01-15 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: list gcc

I have a hundred or more .cc files peppered with templates where I build
libraries from various groups of these files and some executables which
link in the libraries. With gcc 2.91.66, 2.95, and 2.96, I compile all
of the code with -fno-implicit-templates and then link with no errors
through any of it. The code runs fine and has been doing so for 2 years
now.

I just recently upgraded to 3.0.3 and am in the process of updating the
code to compile, link, and run with the new compiler and stdc++
libraries. The code compiles and builds all the libraries without error
right down to the last .cc file which has the main(). If I compile this
.cc file with -fno-implicit-templates I get a bunch errors at link time
indicating missing information related to the template
std::basic_ostream<>. In fact, the error seems to spread itself back
through the system to .cc that were compiled into one of my libraries.
If I compile without the -fno-implicit-template directive, then the link
is successful and it runs as expected.

So, what has changed with -fno-implicit-templates?

I grepped the change logs that came with gcc 3.0.3 for
implicit-templates and found nothing.

Al Niessner

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-01-15 23:20 UTC | newest]