* GCC Version
@ 2003-02-24  2:45 Samuel T. Santos
From: Samuel T. Santos @ 2003-02-24  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC-Help

What's up! Good night!

Guys... I recently install gcc version 3.2.2
but when I type

gcc -v its show:

Reading specs from
/usr//bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/3.2/specs
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib
--with-slibdir=/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
--enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-checking
--enable-long-long --enable-__cxa_atexit
--enable-languages=c,c++,ada,f77,objc,java
--host=i586-mandrake-linux-gnu --with-system-zlib
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.2 (Mandrake Linux 9.0 3.2-1mdk)

well... my doubt is: my gcc version is 3.2.1? or 3.2.2?

cauz when I type g++ or gcj its show in commom

Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.2/specs
Configured with: ./configure  : (reconfigured) ./configure
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.2.2

why is that?

gcc its for C isn't?
g++ its for C++ and gcj its for JAVA, isn't?

and when I type

rpm -qi gcc its show

Name        : gcc                          Relocations: (not
relocateable)
Version     : 3.2                               Vendor: MandrakeSoft
Release     : 1mdk                          Build Date: Sáb 17 Ago 2002
06:53:48 BRT
Install date: Dom 29 Dez 2002 22:27:19 BRST      Build Host:
hp6.mandrakesoft.com
Group       : Development/C                 Source RPM:
gcc-3.2-1mdk.src.rpm
Size        : 10973545                         License: GPL
Packager    : Gwenole Beauchesne <gbeauchesne@mandrakesoft.com>
URL         : http://gcc.gnu.org/
Summary     : GNU Compiler Collection
Description :
A compiler aimed at integrating all the optimizations and features
necessary for a high-performance and stable development environment.
This package is required for all other GCC compilers, namely C++,
Fortran 77, Objective C and Java.

If you have multiple versions of GCC installed on your system, it is
preferred to type "gcc-$(gcc3.2-version)" (without double quotes) in
order to use the GNU C compiler version 3.2.

can anyone could explain me?

thanks in advanced!

til next

Sams

* Re: GCC Version
@ 2003-02-24  5:37 ` LLeweLLyn Reese
From: LLeweLLyn Reese @ 2003-02-24  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel T. Santos; +Cc: GCC-Help

"Samuel T. Santos" <soujavatambem@uol.com.br> writes:

> What's up! Good night!
>
> Guys... I recently install gcc version 3.2.2
> but when I type
>
> gcc -v its show:
>
> Reading specs from
> /usr//bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/3.2/specs
> Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib
> --with-slibdir=/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
> --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-checking
> --enable-long-long --enable-__cxa_atexit
> --enable-languages=c,c++,ada,f77,objc,java
> --host=i586-mandrake-linux-gnu --with-system-zlib
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.2 (Mandrake Linux 9.0 3.2-1mdk)
>
> well... my doubt is: my gcc version is 3.2.1? or 3.2.2?

Niether. It is 3.2 . The -1 is a mandrake package version, i.e.,
    version 1 of the gcc 3.2 package.

> cauz when I type g++ or gcj its show in commom
>
> Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.2/specs
> Configured with: ./configure  : (reconfigured) ./configure
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.2.2

What does /usr/local/bin/gcc -v show?

Mandrake (and most other linux distros) slices and dices gcc into
    several packages. If you just hit the checkbox for gcc (on install),
    you don't get g++.

I suspect you have gcc 3.2.2 installed under /usr/local, with support
    for all languages, etc that are on by default, and gcc 3.2
    installed (by your linux distro) in /usr, with only the C
    frontend. Further, I guess /usr/bin comes before /usr/local/bin in
    your path. So typing 'gcc' results in /usr/bin/gcc, while 'g++'
    results in /usr/local/bin/g++, because you have no /usr/bin/g++.

[snip]
> gcc its for C isn't?
> g++ its for C++ and gcj its for JAVA, isn't?
>
> and when I type
>
> rpm -qi gcc its show
>
> Name        : gcc                          Relocations: (not
> relocateable)
> Version     : 3.2                               Vendor: MandrakeSoft
> Release     : 1mdk                          Build Date: Sáb 17 Ago 2002
> 06:53:48 BRT
> Install date: Dom 29 Dez 2002 22:27:19 BRST      Build Host:
> hp6.mandrakesoft.com
> Group       : Development/C                 Source RPM:
> gcc-3.2-1mdk.src.rpm
> Size        : 10973545                         License: GPL
> Packager    : Gwenole Beauchesne <gbeauchesne@mandrakesoft.com>
> URL         : http://gcc.gnu.org/
> Summary     : GNU Compiler Collection
> Description :
> A compiler aimed at integrating all the optimizations and features
> necessary for a high-performance and stable development environment.
> This package is required for all other GCC compilers, namely C++,
> Fortran 77, Objective C and Java.
[snip]

If you installed gcc-3.2.2 from source, rpm will not be able to find
    it.

* Re: GCC Version
@ 2003-02-25  0:35   ` Samuel T. Santos
From: Samuel T. Santos @ 2003-02-25  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LLeweLLyn Reese; +Cc: GCC-Help

Hello!

Em Seg, 2003-02-24 às 02:34, LLeweLLyn Reese escreveu:
> "Samuel T. Santos" <soujavatambem@uol.com.br> writes:
>
> > What's up! Good night!
> >
> > Guys... I recently install gcc version 3.2.2
> > but when I type
> >
> > gcc -v its show:
> >
> > Reading specs from
> > /usr//bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/3.2/specs
> > Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib
> > --with-slibdir=/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
> > --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-checking
> > --enable-long-long --enable-__cxa_atexit
> > --enable-languages=c,c++,ada,f77,objc,java
> > --host=i586-mandrake-linux-gnu --with-system-zlib
> > Thread model: posix
> > gcc version 3.2 (Mandrake Linux 9.0 3.2-1mdk)
> >
> > well... my doubt is: my gcc version is 3.2.1? or 3.2.2?
>
> Niether. It is 3.2 . The -1 is a mandrake package version, i.e.,
>     version 1 of the gcc 3.2 package.

ok.

> > cauz when I type g++ or gcj its show in commom
> >
> > Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.2/specs
> > Configured with: ./configure  : (reconfigured) ./configure
> > Thread model: posix
> > gcc version 3.2.2
>
> What does /usr/local/bin/gcc -v show?

the same above when you tell that gcc is 3.2 and -1 is mandrake package
version and so on...

> Mandrake (and most other linux distros) slices and dices gcc into
>     several packages. If you just hit the checkbox for gcc (on install),
>     you don't get g++.

but when I download 3.2.2 I downloaded all and compile...
then... gcc 3.2.2 for C its installed in differente place of the
mandrake version what is the gcc 3.2?

> I suspect you have gcc 3.2.2 installed under /usr/local, with support
>     for all languages, etc that are on by default, and gcc 3.2
>     installed (by your linux distro) in /usr, with only the C
>     frontend. Further, I guess /usr/bin comes before /usr/local/bin in
>     your path. So typing 'gcc' results in /usr/bin/gcc, while 'g++'
>     results in /usr/local/bin/g++, because you have no /usr/bin/g++.
>
> [snip]

how I modify for that I hae just one compile, the new version?

> > gcc its for C isn't?
> > g++ its for C++ and gcj its for JAVA, isn't?
> >
> > and when I type
> >
> > rpm -qi gcc its show
> >
> > Name        : gcc                          Relocations: (not
> > relocateable)
> > Version     : 3.2                               Vendor: MandrakeSoft
> > Release     : 1mdk                          Build Date: Sáb 17 Ago 2002
> > 06:53:48 BRT
> > Install date: Dom 29 Dez 2002 22:27:19 BRST      Build Host:
> > hp6.mandrakesoft.com
> > Group       : Development/C                 Source RPM:
> > gcc-3.2-1mdk.src.rpm
> > Size        : 10973545                         License: GPL
> > Packager    : Gwenole Beauchesne <gbeauchesne@mandrakesoft.com>
> > URL         : http://gcc.gnu.org/
> > Summary     : GNU Compiler Collection
> > Description :
> > A compiler aimed at integrating all the optimizations and features
> > necessary for a high-performance and stable development environment.
> > This package is required for all other GCC compilers, namely C++,
> > Fortran 77, Objective C and Java.
> [snip]
>
> If you installed gcc-3.2.2 from source, rpm will not be able to find
>     it.

yeah... I installed gcc-3.2.2 from source... :) heheheh

thanks for explanations!

* Re: GCC Version
@ 2003-02-25  1:34     ` LLeweLLyn Reese
From: LLeweLLyn Reese @ 2003-02-25  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel T. Santos; +Cc: GCC-Help

"Samuel T. Santos" <soujavatambem@uol.com.br> writes:
[snip]
> > What does /usr/local/bin/gcc -v show?
>
> the same above when you tell that gcc is 3.2 and -1 is mandrake package
> version and so on...

Are sure? (0) If so, I am confused - or you have 3.2 installed twice, in
    two different places, the second place conflicting with 3.2.2 -
    which is bad.

Note:
(0) Don't test this using

    $cd /usr/local/bin/
    $gcc -v

    because if . isn't the first thing in your path, you'll still be
    testing /usr/bin/gcc . Test with:

    $/usr/local/bin/gcc

    (Note: If you don't know, the initial $ represents your prompt;
    don't type it, type the remainder at your prompt.)

> > Mandrake (and most other linux distros) slices and dices gcc into
> >     several packages. If you just hit the checkbox for gcc (on install),
> >     you don't get g++.
> >

> but when I download 3.2.2 I downloaded all and compile...
> then... gcc 3.2.2 for C its installed in differente place of the
> mandrake version

Yes. Mandrake installs its gcc in /usr (at least they
    always have in the past; I don't have 9.0, just 8.2)

However the source tarball installs into /usr/local by default.

> what is the gcc 3.2?

I'm guessing the gcc 3.2 is the one that came with your linux distro
    (mandrake).

> > I suspect you have gcc 3.2.2 installed under /usr/local, with support
> >     for all languages, etc that are on by default, and gcc 3.2
> >     installed (by your linux distro) in /usr, with only the C
> >     frontend. Further, I guess /usr/bin comes before /usr/local/bin in
> >     your path. So typing 'gcc' results in /usr/bin/gcc, while 'g++'
> >     results in /usr/local/bin/g++, because you have no /usr/bin/g++.
> >
> > [snip]
>
> how I modify for that I hae just one compile, the new version?

(a) Put /usr/local/bin first in your path. If your shell is bash, sh,
    or ksh:

    $export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH

    does the trick. You might want it in your .bashrc if you use it
    all the time.

    This causes /usr/local/bin to be searched for commands before
    /usr/bin (or anything else). It's possilbe, but not common, to
    have other name-alike commands which occur in both /usr/bin and
    /usr/local/bin - note that these other commands will also be found
    in /usr/local/bin .

(b) Just type out the full path of the compiler you want -
    /usr/local/bin/gcc, for example. With command line editing, I
    don't find this too onerous; I use it all the time.

[snip]

* Re: GCC Version
@ 2003-02-25  2:34       ` Samuel T. Santos
From: Samuel T. Santos @ 2003-02-25  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LLeweLLyn Reese; +Cc: GCC-Help

hehehehhehehe
Its works!

I use like you said $ /usr/local/bin/gcc -v
and show version 3.2.2

hehehehehe

I think when I install from source, it find the older gcc and update it

thanks a lot, now I understand! I have two versions installed of gcc

One its installed by Mandrake by a RPM, cauz with command
$ rpm -qi gcc

its show the version with came the Mandrake -> 3.2 and like you said its
has only C frontend cauz when I type

$ g++ -v
	its show the version 3.2.2 it means that has no other compiler came
with gcc of Mandrake beyound C and I can desinstall easily, ins't?

and the other version is I installed from source and came with all
compilers

great! thanks a lot! now all its make sense!!!

now I'll organize all that, cauz I want to use only the gcc version
3.2.2

til next, good night

Sams

* gcc version
@ 2007-09-04 19:38 Erik Leunissen
From: Erik Leunissen @ 2007-09-04 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I'd like to know since which gcc version the

  __attribute__ ((weakref ("someSymbol")))

syntax is supported.

Thanks in advance for any answers (or pointers so I can find out for
myself),

Erik Leunissen

* GCC version
@ 2005-02-14  9:43 sitaram banda
From: sitaram banda @ 2005-02-14  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: sitaram.banda, vsivaraghuram

Hi,

I am trying to make my project set-up on a 64-bit opteron machine. We
are facing lot of problems during building the environment. Most of
the problems are very internal to the gcc which are getting solved by
moving from one GCC version to other GCC version. I worked with
gcc3.2.3 and 3.3.5. Still i am getting problems while building the
set-up. Can you please suggest us the best GCC version that suites for
64-bit opteron macchine (x86_64)?

Please also suggest what is the binutils version i should use.

I am using Redhat enterprise version 3.0. with kernel version 2.4.21-20.ELsmp

FYI if it is required i can elobarate more on the kind of problems i am facing.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Sitaram.