* Work around too long C++ symbol names
@ 2004-02-25 11:18 Fco Javier
From: Fco Javier @ 2004-02-25 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,

I saw the "How to work around too long C++ symbol names (-fsquangle)"
FAQ of G++ and i have a question about this:

I am interested in reducig my G++ executable file size in a linux ARM
based device. At the moment my executable  has 700kBytes around  and
gziped the file is reduced to 200Kbytes of size. I thik this amount of
size is due to g++ name mangling I used the nm utility and saw the
generated names to the methods of clasess and these are preceded of
class name. This is very expensive in the final executable file size.

1) I don't know what makes  -fsquangle option with then symbol names. Is
there any documentation about this?
2) It is possible to "obfuscate" some symbolnames in the final
executable file to reduce the file size of may executable. In the faq is
metioned the use of GNU as. Where can find some documentation or
dicussion groups about this?

Thank you very much

Best regards,

Javier

* Re: Work around too long C++ symbol names
@ 2004-02-25 12:55 ` Ken Foskey
From: Ken Foskey @ 2004-02-25 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fco Javier; +Cc: gcc-help

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 22:13, Fco Javier wrote:

> 2) It is possible to "obfuscate" some symbolnames in the final
> executable file to reduce the file size of may executable. In the faq is
> metioned the use of GNU as. Where can find some documentation or
> dicussion groups about this?

I think you want strip to remove this info.

man strip

--
Thanks
KenF