* debian gcc produces hello*
@ 2007-06-14  4:32 rmodesi
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: rmodesi @ 2007-06-14  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I am a newbie to both Linux and C programming in Linux.
My gcc compiler produces the file hello* after executing the command:
gcc -Wall hello.c -o hello
Bash will not execute this program.

Thanks again in advance.

* Re: debian gcc produces hello*
@ 2007-06-14  4:44 ` Bill McEnaney
From: Bill McEnaney @ 2007-06-14  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rmodesi, gcc-help

What, if any, error message do you get when you try to run the "hello"
program?

Bill

> I am a newbie to both Linux and C programming in Linux.
> My gcc compiler produces the file hello* after executing the command:
> gcc -Wall hello.c -o hello
> Bash will not execute this program.
>
> Thanks again in advance.
> --

Please visit a saintly hero:
http://www.jakemoore.org

And a boy with a wonderful wish:
http://shaneswish.com/

* Re: debian gcc produces hello*
@ 2007-06-14  5:02   ` rmodesi
From: rmodesi @ 2007-06-14  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Bill,
Thanks for your interest.
The error I receive from the bash shell is that it does not recognize the
command or something to that effect. I do not have the system in front of me
at this time so can't be more specific.

Ron

@ 2007-06-14  5:15 ` ivan
From: ivan @ 2007-06-14  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rmodesi, gcc-help

--- rmodesi <rmodesi@msn.com> wrote:
> I am a newbie to both Linux and C programming in Linux.
> My gcc compiler produces the file hello* after executing the command:
> gcc -Wall hello.c -o hello
> Bash will not execute this program.

Did you try running the program like this:

./hello

your path may not include the local directory by default.

Ivan

---------------------
Ivan Novick
http://www.0x4849.net

* Re: debian gcc produces hello*
@ 2007-06-14 10:37   ` rmodesi
From: rmodesi @ 2007-06-14 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Ivan,
Thanks for your interest. This is just amazing. I've had two reply's within
the hour.
I'll give your suggestion a try asap. Got any ideas on the asterisks
appended to hello. This seems odd to me but again I'm just beginning.

Ron

@ 2007-06-14 10:54 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2007-06-14 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rmodesi; +Cc: gcc-help

rmodesi <rmodesi@msn.com> writes:

> I am a newbie to both Linux and C programming in Linux.
> My gcc compiler produces the file hello* after executing the command:
> gcc -Wall hello.c -o hello
> Bash will not execute this program.

Note that you probably see the '*' because you are using ls -F,
perhaps through an alias.  "man ls" for details on -F.

Ian

* Re: debian gcc produces hello*
@ 2007-06-14 19:14 ` Bill McEnaney
From: Bill McEnaney @ 2007-06-14 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rmodesi, gcc-help

Ron,

You're welcome.  After I read your note, I used bash to run a "hello"
program that lived in my home directory.  Since that directory was, and
is still, in my path, I didn't need to type "./hello" when I ran the
program.

By the way, I usually use tcsh instead of bash, so I invoked bash when
tcsh when I got tcsh's command prompt.

Bill

@ 2007-06-15 15:55   ` rmodesi
From: rmodesi @ 2007-06-15 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Ivan,
You are absolutly correct. I really apologize for wasting everyone's time
with this trivial question. I've seen several warnings about doing that sort
of thing but I was lost. Also Ian's remarks regarding the alias for 'ls
-laF' was correct. The 'F' appends special characters to identify file types
in the listing. I guess I have a long way to go. Thanks again to everyone
for the help.

Ron

@ 2007-06-15 15:56   ` rmodesi
From: rmodesi @ 2007-06-15 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Ian,
Thanks for the help. You are correct and I am obviously a real 'newbie'.
I'll try to avoid wasting everyone's time with these elementary questions.

Thanks again
Ron

@ 2007-06-15 15:58   ` rmodesi
From: rmodesi @ 2007-06-15 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Thanks Bill,
Ian and Ivan were correct and I'm rather red faced with such a simple
question. Best of luck in your work.

Ron

@ 2007-06-15 18:41 Bill McEnaney
From: Bill McEnaney @ 2007-06-15 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rmodesi, gcc-help

Ron,

You're wekcome.

I know what that's like.  My face must have looked like a red fire
engine when I last asked for help.  First, somebody told me that I
needed to use a new version of GNU make to compile gcc-4.2.0.  Even
after I installed the new version of HNU make, Tamino, my Sun
workstation, kept complaining,  So I asked the gcc-help crowd what he
was yelling about.  If I had read everything my digital pal had said, I
would have noticed that the /usr partition was full.  D'oh.  That's why
I built gcc-4.2.0 in the /home partition and installed it in /usr.  Now
I still need to figure out what I can delete from /usr because now after
I've deleted gcc-4.2.0's source tree, /usr is still 71 percent full.

Don't let minor problems embarrass you, pal.  Many of us just aren't
anal retentive enough to notice the almost undetectable problems that
can make our digital friends misbehave.  One little typo in your path,
and your machine won't findsomething, even when it's right under his
nose. :)

Bill