* Re: ARM Configure Targets
@ 2007-12-06  1:18 Duane Ellis
From: Duane Ellis @ 2007-12-06  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, rem

Remy> Where can I find further information on specific [ARM] targets?

You should learn about the "cross-gcc" mailing list.

See this site for the archive: http://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/

What is the _exact_ target (chip) you want?
	ie: A full arm-soc solution (like Xscale)
	or: A tiny arm7tdmi micro-controller type, with only 32K flash on chip?

What is the _exact_ OS the board will run?
	ie: Roll your own
	or: Linux, great for Xscale, won't run on tiny micro-controllers.
	or: Some commercial thing, there are many.
	or: Something totally weirdo..

Depending upon your answer, I might have something that will help you.

-Duane.

* Re: ARM Configure Targets
@ 2007-12-06  4:47 ` Remy Fenn
From: Remy Fenn @ 2007-12-06  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 01:18, Duane Ellis wrote:
> Remy> Where can I find further information on specific [ARM] targets?
> You should learn about the "cross-gcc" mailing list.
>
> See this site for the archive: http://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/
>
> What is the _exact_ target (chip) you want?
> 	ie: A full arm-soc solution (like Xscale)
> 	or: A tiny arm7tdmi micro-controller type, with only 32K flash on
> chip?
>
> What is the _exact_ OS the board will run?
> 	ie: Roll your own
> 	or: Linux, great for Xscale, won't run on tiny micro-controllers.
> 	or: Some commercial thing, there are many.
> 	or: Something totally weirdo..
>
> Depending upon your answer, I might have something that will help you.
>
> -Duane.

I'm currently using a gcc configured for arm-elf which works fine for
cross-compiling Xscale software to run on embedded Debian.

I have raised this issue initially because I was unable to find an
official list of the specific configure targets which are available to
me when configuring gcc as a cross-compiler in this case for Arm/Linux
(purely out of curiousity). My particular problem is in understanding
why I should use arm-elf (which seems to be the defacto for a variety of
situations) rather than arm-linux or arm-linux-elf or arm-elf-linux or
whatever other combinations are currently available.

What are the supported configure targets, why does <blank> specific
target exist, how exactly does it differ from its relatives (e.g
arm-elf, arm-linux) and what benefits does it offer? These are questions
which have been burning inside me for a while now and I would be very
pleased if they could be answered if nothing else than for the sake of
my own sanity.

I'll go familiarise myself with crossgcc and see what I can come up
with.

Thanks.
--
Remy Fenn                           Email: rem@riscnx.net
Dept. Systems Engineering

* Re: ARM Configure Targets
@ 2007-12-05 15:21 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2007-12-05 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remy Fenn; +Cc: gcc-help

Remy Fenn <rem@riscnx.net> writes:

> Building GCC for ARM cross-compilation offers a number of potential
> targets which is only referred to in the documentation as arm-*-elf.
>
> Where can I find further information on specific targets? I view 3rd
> party documentation in this respect as dubious particularly as many
> non-official source of documentation do not stamp a date and you cannot
> therefore determine whether the targets mentioned are indeed still
> accurate in the present GCC release.

Normally you just build the arm-elf target, and then use the -mcpu
option to pick the specific target you want.  For the list of names
supported by -mcpu, see the documentation which comes with the
compiler.

Ian

* ARM Configure Targets
@ 2007-12-05 13:20 Remy Fenn