* -Wpsabi: to keep or not to keep?
@ 2022-05-22 19:05 Paul Smith
From: Paul Smith @ 2022-05-22 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Upgrading my environment to GCC 11.3 (from GCC 10.2) I'm seeing these
new warnings:

Omega/Optimizer/EstimatorImpl.cpp: In member function 'virtual
std::pair<double, double>
Optimizer::EstimatorImpl::hashMaterializationCost(double, double, const
Quantifier*) const':
Omega/Optimizer/EstimatorImpl.cpp:1339:101: note: parameter passing for
argument of type 'std::pair<double, double>' when C++17 is enabled
changed to match C++14 in GCC 10.1
 1339 |
const Quantifier* inputQuantifier) const

^~~~~

* Re: -Wpsabi: to keep or not to keep?
@ 2022-05-22 20:01 ` Paul Smith
From: Paul Smith @ 2022-05-22 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Sun, 2022-05-22 at 15:05 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> Upgrading my environment to GCC 11.3 (from GCC 10.2) I'm seeing these
> new warnings:

WTH!  My entire message got whacked; that was like the first part of
the first attempt and I edited it for 15 minutes after that, including
the changing the parts that were actually sent.  Hrm.  Bad news for
Gnome Evolution :(

@ 2022-05-26 17:35 ` Paul Smith
From: Paul Smith @ 2022-05-26 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Sun, 2022-05-22 at 15:05 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> Upgrading my environment to GCC 11.3 (from GCC 10.2) I'm seeing these
> new warnings:

Sorry for the delay I just couldn't find the time/energy to recreate
this email.

I'm seeing this output when I compile on GNU/Linux for ARM:

    Foo.cpp: In member function 'virtual std::pair<double, double> Foo::cost(double, double, const Quantifier*) const':
    Foo.cpp:100:101: note: parameter passing for argument of type 'std::pair<double, double>' when C++17 is enabled changed to match C++14 in GCC 10.1

These aren't emitted on Intel.

I've investigated these notes but don't see any way to avoid them,
short of using -Wno-psabi.

Just for clarity, I build all my thirdparty prerequisites myself
(except stdc and other system libraries, which are in C) and I rebuild
them all when I switch compilers.  So there shouldn't be any (C++) code
built with any other version of GCC linked in my code.

Given this does anyone have opinions on how to proceed (assuming I
don't want to just let these be printed):

Can I modify the code somehow so they're not printed?

Given the above is it reasonable to just add -Wno-psabi to the compile
line and not worry that I'll miss some important ABI note?

Or should I use pragmas to disable this diagnostic only in the specific
place(s) where this warning appears today?