* recompiling dlopen'ed modules crashes application
@ 2008-06-29 16:50 Jacob Ole Juul Kolding
From: Jacob Ole Juul Kolding @ 2008-06-29 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello

I've been struggling with a problem for some time now.
I have an application that compiles and loads modules with dlopen.
The problem is that if i try to recompile a module that is already
loaded with dlopen the application crashes with the following message:

<address> in __kernel_vsyscall ()

this also happens if I simply rm the module file.

I don't know if this is normal behavior, but I would like to be able to
recompile my modules on the fly.

All help greatly appreciated!

/Dacobi

* Re: recompiling dlopen'ed modules crashes application
       [not found] <OFBE7075FB.E25269A4-ON85257477.006149DF-85257477.00615950@ca.ibm.com>
@ 2008-06-29 18:15 ` Jacob Ole Juul Kolding
From: Jacob Ole Juul Kolding @ 2008-06-29 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 13:43 -0400, John Bossom wrote:

> Did you perform a dlclose (i.e. explicitly unload them) before trying
> to compile a new one?

No, since,
I was sort of thinking/hoping that when dlopen had been called the code
and symbols from the module would reside in memory making the actual
file on the hard drive irrelevant?

I'm on Ubuntu 8.04 Linux 2.6.24 btw...

/Dacobi