From: Kyle Girard <kyle@kdmanalytics.com>
To: Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com>
Cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Building Relocatable gcc
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:24:00 -0000	[thread overview]

> What do you mean by relocatable?
>
> If you use just the --prefix=DIR option, and run "make" and "make
> install", then you can move the directory DIR wherever you like and
> everything should continue to work.

By relocatable I mean I guess self contained..  I can use --prefix and
install the compiler to DIR, yes, but after I rename DIR to DIR2 doesn't
gcc continue to look for it's headers in DIR?  If I wanted to zip up the
gcc in DIR and put it on another machine that doesn't have gcc installed
on it and doesn't the directory DIR wont it still be looking for headers
in DIR?

I'd like to make version of gcc that I can zip up and drop on to a
machine in a directory of my choice and instantly have a version of gcc
that I can compile things with.  Sort of like the way mingw is done but
for linux.

Cheers,

Kyle