* 2.95.2 libraries donŽt link using 3.x
@ 2002-07-18 10:12 Miguel Angel Núñez
From: Miguel Angel Núñez @ 2002-07-18 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello GCC experts,

I hope you can help me in this link problem that I donÂŽt know how to
solve.

I'm using some libraries that were developed for GCC 2.95.2. I was
using GCC 2.95.3 and everything was fine. My application was compiled
and linked perfectly.

Now I have to use GCC 3.x because of some source code I'm including
from www.vovida.org that needs this version of GCC. The application
is compiled, but at link time I get a lot of errors about undefined
symbols (all of them in the libraries for 2.95.2).

My question:
  Is there any modifier for having backwards compatibility? Compile
  3.x code, and link against 3.x libraries and 2.95.2 libraries.

  Is this possible?

Any other idea about how to overcome this problem is very welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Miguel Angel

* Re: 2.95.2 libraries donŽt link using 3.x
@ 2002-07-18 10:23 ` Oscar Fuentes
From: Oscar Fuentes @ 2002-07-18 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Angel Núñez; +Cc: gcc-help

Miguel Angel Núñez <miguel.nunez@datatronics.es> writes:

> Hello GCC experts,
>
> I hope you can help me in this link problem that I donŽt know how to
> solve.
>
> I'm using some libraries that were developed for GCC 2.95.2. I was
> using GCC 2.95.3 and everything was fine. My application was compiled
> and linked perfectly.
>
> Now I have to use GCC 3.x because of some source code I'm including
> from www.vovida.org that needs this version of GCC. The application
> is compiled, but at link time I get a lot of errors about undefined
> symbols (all of them in the libraries for 2.95.2).
>
> My question:
>   Is there any modifier for having backwards compatibility? Compile
>   3.x code, and link against 3.x libraries and 2.95.2 libraries.
>
>   Is this possible?

I guess you are talking about C++ (remember: GCC is 5 languages or so)

The C++ ABI changed on gcc 3.0.x The new ABI and the previous one are
incompatible.

> Any other idea about how to overcome this problem is very welcome.

You must re-build all your libraries with gcc 3.x if you want to use
it. Those binaries will not be compatible with gcc < 3.0

--
Oscar

* Re[2]: 2.95.2 libraries donŽt link using 3.x
@ 2002-07-19  0:08   ` Miguel Angel Núñez
From: Miguel Angel Núñez @ 2002-07-19  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, Oscar Fuentes

Hola Oscar,

Yes, I was talking about C++. Upps, I forgot to mention it.

My problem is that the 2.95.2 libraries are comercial ones, so I don't
have the source code. I only have the binaries. The vovida source code
does not compile using gcc lower than 3.x.

I'm afraid I will have to produce 2 executables and communicate them
in any way.

There is not really any way to link 2.x and 3.x binaries together in
the same executable? This is my last chance, and I will not ask any
more ;-)

Thanks a lot Oscar!!