* installing gcc on Mac OS X
@ 2001-11-08 11:21 Liu Yuen-Jong
From: Liu Yuen-Jong @ 2001-11-08 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

I downloaded gcc 3.0.2 from gnu.org and tried to compile it myself on an
Apple PowerMac G4 running Mac OS X 10.1.  While in the source directory, I
executed "./configure" which ran fine.  Then I executed "make install",
which aborted with the error messages at the end of this email.  These
messages were from the second time I tried to make install.  Could you
tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Yuen-Jong Liu

Error messages:
---------------
toplev.h:48: illegal function definition, found `__attribute__'
toplev.h:51: illegal function definition, found `__attribute__'
cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in basic
mode
In file included from function.c:42:
system.h:320: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile functions
In file included from system.h:494,
                 from function.c:42:
./../include/libiberty.h:91: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile
functions
./../include/libiberty.h:101: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile
functions
./../include/libiberty.h:126: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile
functions
In file included from function.c:43:
rtl.h:1207: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile functions
rtl.h:1439: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile functions
In file included from function.c:44:
tree.h:2456: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile functions
tree.h:2510: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile functions
tree.h:2646: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile functions
In file included from function.c:53:
output.h:128: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile functions
In file included from function.c:56:
toplev.h:45: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile functions
In file included from function.c:58:
ggc.h:136: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile functions
function.c: In function `assign_stack_local_1':
function.c:596: `DEFAULT_ABI' undeclared (first use in this function)
function.c:596: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
function.c:596: for each function it appears in.)
function.c: In function `fixup_memory_subreg':
function.c:2519: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
function.c:2520: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
function.c: In function `optimize_bit_field':
function.c:2716: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
function.c:2718: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
function.c:2764: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
function.c: In function `purge_addressof_1':
function.c:3074: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
function.c: In function `instantiate_virtual_regs':
function.c:3514: `DEFAULT_ABI' undeclared (first use in this function)
function.c: In function `instantiate_decls':
function.c:3581: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
function.c: In function `aggregate_value_p':
function.c:4201: `DEFAULT_ABI' undeclared (first use in this function)
function.c: In function `assign_parms':
function.c:4554: `DEFAULT_ABI' undeclared (first use in this function)
function.c: In function `locate_and_pad_parm':
function.c:5192: `DEFAULT_ABI' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[1]: *** [function.o] Error 1
make: *** [install-gcc] Error 2

* Re: installing gcc on Mac OS X
@ 2001-11-09  8:13 ` Claudio Bley
From: Claudio Bley @ 2001-11-09  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liu Yuen-Jong; +Cc: gcc-help

    Liu> Hi, I downloaded gcc 3.0.2 from gnu.org and tried to compile
    Liu> it myself on an Apple PowerMac G4 running Mac OS X 10.1.
    Liu> While in the source directory, I executed "./configure" which
    Liu> ran fine.  Then I executed "make install", which aborted with
    Liu> the error messages at the end of this email.  These messages
    Liu> were from the second time I tried to make install.  Could you
    Liu> tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I suppose you're just not reading the installation instructions?!

    Liu> Thanks.

    Liu> Sincerely, Yuen-Jong Liu

First off, as clearly stated in the installation instructions you need
to build in a seperate directory -- NOT in the source directory.

Secondly, as clearly stated in the installation instructions you need
to run 'make bootstrap' to build a native compiler.

Read the manuals.

HTH
Claudio