* Configuration options
@ 2001-11-12 15:19 kabir.patel
From: kabir.patel @ 2001-11-12 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: me; +Cc: gcc-help

I have a question regarding configuration options specified in
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html

In the documentation it states:

--prefix=dirname
Specify the toplevel installation directory. This is the recommended way to
install the tools into a directory other than the default. The toplevel
installation directory defaults to /usr/local.

For this would I specify

prompt> ./configure prefix="/home/gnu"

for example.

It didn't seem to work, but came back with an error message like the following:

"Invalid configuration `prefix=/home/gnu': machine `prefix=prefix=/home/gnu' not
recognized"

Could somebody tell me whats wrong?

Thanks
Kabir

Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message.  If you
the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent
to Internet email for messages of this kind.  Opinions, conclusions and other
information in this message that do not relate to the official business of my
firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

* Re: Configuration options
@ 2001-11-12 22:52 ` Claudio Bley
From: Claudio Bley @ 2001-11-12 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kabir.patel; +Cc: me, gcc-help

    kabir> I have a question regarding configuration options specified
    kabir> in http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html

    kabir> In the documentation it states:

    kabir> --prefix=dirname Specify the toplevel installation
    kabir> directory. This is the recommended way to install the tools
    kabir> into a directory other than the default. The toplevel
    kabir> installation directory defaults to /usr/local.

    kabir> For this would I specify

    prompt> ./configure prefix="/home/gnu"

    kabir> for example.

Just READ the documantation again:

--prefix=dirname
^^

HTH
Claudio

* Re: Configuration options
@ 2001-11-16  0:57 ` Frank Schafer
From: Frank Schafer @ 2001-11-16  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kabir.patel; +Cc: me, gcc-help

kabir.patel@uk.andersen.com wrote:

> I have a question regarding configuration options specified in
> http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html
>
> In the documentation it states:
>
> --prefix=dirname
> Specify the toplevel installation directory. This is the recommended way to
> install the tools into a directory other than the default. The toplevel
> installation directory defaults to /usr/local.
>
> For this would I specify
>
> prompt> ./configure prefix="/home/gnu"
>
> for example.
>
> It didn't seem to work, but came back with an error message like the following:
>
> "Invalid configuration `prefix=/home/gnu': machine `prefix=prefix=/home/gnu' not
> recognized"
>
> Could somebody tell me whats wrong?
>
> Thanks
> Kabir

Hi,

simply replace the:

    prompt> ./configure prefix="/home/gnu"

by:

    prompt> ./configure prefix=/home/gnu

Regards
Frank

[-- Attachment #2: Card for Frank Schafer --]

begin:vcard
n:Schafer;Frank
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:SETUZA a.s.;IT
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:frank.schafer@setuza.cz
title:Dipl. Ing.
note:System administrator
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Frank Schafer
end:vcard

* Re: Configuration options
@ 2001-11-16  7:40   ` Claudio Bley
From: Claudio Bley @ 2001-11-16  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: frank.schafer; +Cc: kabir.patel, me, gcc-help

    Frank> kabir.patel@uk.andersen.com wrote:
    >> I have a question regarding configuration options specified in
    >> http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html
    >>
    >> In the documentation it states:
    >>
    >> --prefix=dirname Specify the toplevel installation
    >> directory. This is the recommended way to install the tools
    >> into a directory other than the default. The toplevel
    >> installation directory defaults to /usr/local.
    >>
    >> For this would I specify

    prompt> ./configure prefix="/home/gnu"
    >>  for example.
    >>
    >> It didn't seem to work, but came back with an error message
    >> like the following:
    >>
    >> "Invalid configuration `prefix=/home/gnu': machine
    >> `prefix=prefix=/home/gnu' not recognized"
    >>
    >> Could somebody tell me whats wrong?
    >>
    >> Thanks Kabir
    >>

    Frank> Hi,

    Frank> simply replace the:

    prompt> ./configure prefix="/home/gnu"

    Frank> by:

    prompt> ./configure prefix=/home/gnu

NO. This is not the problem.

To put it clearly this time (Ken?!):

You're missing the double dashes in front of the `--prefix' option.

../gcc-source/configure --prefix="/home/gnu"

The double quotes are okay because they are removed by the shell
before the command line arguments are passed to the configure
script. The last non-option argument is treated as a system type
specification and 'prefix=/home/gnu' is not a valid system type the
GCC configure script knows about.

Claudio

* Re: Configuration options
@ 2001-11-17 12:26     ` Frank Schafer
From: Frank Schafer @ 2001-11-17 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Claudio Bley; +Cc: kabir.patel, me, gcc-help

Claudio Bley wrote:

>     Frank> kabir.patel@uk.andersen.com wrote:
>     >> I have a question regarding configuration options specified in
>     >> http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html
>     >>
>     >> In the documentation it states:
>     >>
>     >> --prefix=dirname Specify the toplevel installation
>     >> directory. This is the recommended way to install the tools
>     >> into a directory other than the default. The toplevel
>     >> installation directory defaults to /usr/local.
>     >>
>     >> For this would I specify
>     >>
>     prompt> ./configure prefix="/home/gnu"
>     >>  for example.
>     >>
>     >> It didn't seem to work, but came back with an error message
>     >> like the following:
>     >>
>     >> "Invalid configuration `prefix=/home/gnu': machine
>     >> `prefix=prefix=/home/gnu' not recognized"
>     >>
>     >> Could somebody tell me whats wrong?
>     >>
>     >> Thanks Kabir
>     >>

>     Frank> Hi,
>
>     Frank> simply replace the:
>
>     prompt> ./configure prefix="/home/gnu"
>
>     Frank> by:
>
>     prompt> ./configure prefix=/home/gnu
>
> NO. This is not the problem.
>
> To put it clearly this time (Ken?!):
>
> You're missing the double dashes in front of the `--prefix' option.
>
> ../gcc-source/configure --prefix="/home/gnu"
>
> The double quotes are okay because they are removed by the shell
> before the command line arguments are passed to the configure
> script. The last non-option argument is treated as a system type
> specification and 'prefix=/home/gnu' is not a valid system type the
> GCC configure script knows about.
>
> Claudio

Hmm, ...
and You're right.
Faults of this type happen, if one lists in 3 to 4 mailing lists, giving
itself about half a minute for each.

Sorry

@ 2001-11-25 22:30       ` Frank Schafer
From: Frank Schafer @ 2001-11-25 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)