* Need help for an old makefile
@ 2008-04-16 22:57 mahmoodn
From: mahmoodn @ 2008-04-16 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,
I have an old makefile and I want to run it but it can not be "make"ed. How
can I convert it to current version of makefile?:confused:

TARGET = OCEAN
OBJS = main.o jacobcalc.o jacobcalc2.o laplacalc.o \
	slave1.o slave2.o multi.o linkup.o subblock.o
CFLAGS = -O2 -Olimit 2000 -w
LDFLAGS = -lmpc -lm
MACROS = ../../../null_macros/c.m4.null

x = *

$(TARGET): $(OBJS)
	cc $(OBJS) -o $(TARGET) $(LDFLAGS)

.SUFFIXES:
.SUFFIXES:	.o .c .C .h .H

.H.h:
	m4 ${MACROS} $*.H > $*.h

.C.c:
	m4 $(MACROS) $*.C > $*.c

.c.o:
	cc -c $(CFLAGS) $*.c

.C.o:
	m4 $(MACROS) $*.C > $*.c
	cc -c $(CFLAGS) $*.c

decs.h: decs.H
jacobcalc.c: decs.h
linkup.c: decs.h
slave1.c: decs.h
jacobcalc2.c: decs.h
main.c: decs.h
slave2.c: decs.h
laplacalc.c: decs.h
multi.c: decs.h
subblock.c: decs.h

* Re: Need help for an old makefile
@ 2008-04-18 14:08 ` Dima Sorkin
From: Dima Sorkin @ 2008-04-18 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mahmoodn; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi.
  This make file should work. Indeed its syntax is old.
GNU make style for implicit rules is described here
http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Implicit-Rules

I added little example below. You could me answered much better here
http://savannah.gnu.org/mail/?group=make

Regards,
  Dima.

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 6:36 PM, mahmoodn <nt_mahmood@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Hello,
>  I have an old makefile and I want to run it but it can not be "make"ed. How
>  can I convert it to current version of makefile?:confused:

>  .H.h:
>         m4 ${MACROS} $*.H > $*.h
%.h : %.H
	m4 ${MACROS} $< > $@

* Re: Need help for an old makefile
@ 2008-04-18 18:33 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2008-04-18 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mahmoodn; +Cc: gcc-help

mahmoodn wrote:
> Hello,
> I have an old makefile and I want to run it but it can not be "make"ed. How
> can I convert it to current version of makefile?:confused:

What error do you get?  We can't help if we don't know what is going wrong.

Jim

* Re: Need help for an old makefile
@ 2008-04-19  9:35   ` mahmoodn
From: mahmoodn @ 2008-04-19  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

> Indeed its syntax is old.
>  .H.h:
>         m4 ${MACROS} $*.H > $*.h
%.h : %.H
	m4 ${MACROS} $< > $@

The problem is about m4. I get an error "m4 unrecognized". How can I fix it?
It seems that oldr versions used m4, but I don't know what happened to it in
newer version.

@ 2008-04-19 10:02     ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-04-19 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mahmoodn; +Cc: gcc-help

mahmoodn wrote:

> The problem is about m4. I get an error "m4 unrecognized". How can I fix it?
> It seems that oldr versions used m4, but I don't know what happened to it in
> newer version.

m4 is a general purpose text processing program/language.  It's not
specific to C or gcc, nor is it part of make; it's just a regular
command.  I'd be surprised if there existed a linux distro or unix
vendor in the world that didn't have a m4 package that you can select to
install, as it's a standard unix tool going back decades.  But this is
way off-topic for this list.

Brian

* Re: Need help for an old makefile
@ 2008-04-19 13:20       ` mahmoodn
From: mahmoodn @ 2008-04-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

> But this is way off-topic for this list.

Sorry, What do you mean? Do you think GCC4.1 is able to parse this makefile
without any additional switch or command? If yes, then why I get this error?

How can I be sure that m4 is installed? Maybe the path is changed?!

Thanks,

@ 2008-04-19 14:23   ` mahmoodn
From: mahmoodn @ 2008-04-19 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

@ 2008-04-19 14:52         ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-04-19 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mahmoodn; +Cc: gcc-help

mahmoodn wrote:

> Sorry, What do you mean? Do you think GCC4.1 is able to parse this makefile
> without any additional switch or command? If yes, then why I get this error?

The compiler does not parse makefiles.  'make' is a totally separate
program from the compiler, they are unrelated except for the fact that
they are commonly used together.  Your problem has nothing to do with
gcc though.

> How can I be sure that m4 is installed? Maybe the path is changed?!

The same ways that you check that any program is installed:

- look at the list of packages installed
- "m4 --version" or "m4 -v"
- "type m4" or "which m4" or "locate m4"
- "ls -l /usr/bin/m4"
- etc.

Brian

* Re: Need help for an old makefile
@ 2008-04-22 13:21           ` mahmoodn
From: mahmoodn @ 2008-04-22 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I am really confused. This time I tried to make, the error I got is:

cc -c -O2 -Olimit 2000 -w  main.c
cc: 2000: No such file or directory
cc1: error: invalid option argument `-Olimit'
make: *** [main.o] Error 1

I can not remember what changes I did in these three days. I did not get the
m4 error, but I searched filesystem for it and there is no file "m4".

I placed the files  http://ifile.it/sih7enp here . if some can compile it, I
will very thankful.

Brian Dessent wrote:

> mahmoodn wrote:
>
>> Sorry, What do you mean? Do you think GCC4.1 is able to parse this
>> makefile
>> without any additional switch or command? If yes, then why I get this
>> error?
>
> The compiler does not parse makefiles.  'make' is a totally separate
> program from the compiler, they are unrelated except for the fact that
> they are commonly used together.  Your problem has nothing to do with
> gcc though.
>
>> How can I be sure that m4 is installed? Maybe the path is changed?!
>
> The same ways that you check that any program is installed:
>
> - look at the list of packages installed
> - "m4 --version" or "m4 -v"
> - "type m4" or "which m4" or "locate m4"
> - "ls -l /usr/bin/m4"
> - etc.
>
> Brian

%-|>-(

* Re: Need help for an old makefile
@ 2008-04-29  8:54             ` mahmoodn
From: mahmoodn @ 2008-04-29  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Did anyone tried to compile this?

Thanks,

@ 2008-04-29 20:32               ` Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2008-04-29 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mahmoodn; +Cc: gcc-help

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:11 AM, mahmoodn <nt_mahmood@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Did anyone tried to compile this?

I couldn't get the files--can you tar and bzip them and post them here?

-Tom

* Re: Need help for an old makefile
@ 2008-04-30  8:49                 ` mahmoodn
From: mahmoodn @ 2008-04-30  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

It was a rar file. Because I am not in linux, I upload ZIP file.

Tom Browder wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:11 AM, mahmoodn <nt_mahmood@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Did anyone tried to compile this?
>
> I couldn't get the files--can you tar and bzip them and post them here?
>
> -Tom

http://www.nabble.com/file/p16975465/contiguous_partitions.zip
contiguous_partitions.zip

* Re: Need help for an old makefile
@ 2008-04-30 14:40                   ` Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2008-04-30 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mahmoodn; +Cc: gcc-help

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:46 PM, mahmoodn <nt_mahmood@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  It was a rar file. Because I am not in linux, I upload ZIP file.

There is an apparent m4 macro needed to convert the *.C and *.H files
to something usable.  It looks as if the BARDEC and similar entities
are probably m4 macros.

The file you need to find is "c.m4.null".

With a google search for "c.m4.null" I got a quick link to this page
which is what you probably should be looking at:

http://www.capsl.udel.edu/splash/Download.html

I'll bet the answers to all your problems are there because it looks
like you don't have all the files you need for the project.

-Tom

* Re: Need help for an old makefile
@ 2008-05-01  8:13                     ` mahmoodn
From: mahmoodn @ 2008-05-01  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I followed the link steps until:
patch -p1 < splash2-modified.patch

here is the output of this command:
mahmood@magma:splash2$ patch -p1 <splash2-modified.patch
The program 'patch' is currently not installed.  You can install it by
typing:
sudo apt-get install patch
bash: patch: command not found

Is "patch" related to compiler or OS?

@ 2008-05-01  8:16                       ` Sivan Greenberg
From: Sivan Greenberg @ 2008-05-01  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mahmoodn; +Cc: gcc-help

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 01:12 -0700, mahmoodn wrote:
> I followed the link steps until:
> patch -p1 < splash2-modified.patch
>
> here is the output of this command:
> mahmood@magma:splash2$ patch -p1 <splash2-modified.patch
> The program 'patch' is currently not installed.  You can install it by
> typing:
> sudo apt-get install patch
> bash: patch: command not found
>
> Is "patch" related to compiler or OS?

It is not, patch is a utility program to apply patches that were usually
created using the 'diff' command. follow the installation instructions
provided to you by your distro (debian/ubuntu) and install it to be able
to use it.

Sivan

* Re: Need help for an old makefile
@ 2008-05-05 10:45                         ` mahmoodn
From: mahmoodn @ 2008-05-05 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I installed "patch" command. Then I read . After applying the patch, I run
"make" again as the guide said. Here is the error I got:super::
m4 -s -Ulen -Uindex /home/ubuntu/splash2/codes/null_macros/c.m4.null decs.H
> decs.h
/bin/sh: m4: not found
make: *** [decs.h] Error 127

Seams that we got back to the first error again!!&-(>-(%-| I looked the
makefile to trace any changes by that patch. Here is the makefile (I
uploaded the directory before, this is the new makefile):
TARGET = OCEAN
OBJS = jacobcalc.o jacobcalc2.o laplacalc.o linkup.o main.o multi.o slave1.o
slave2.o subblock.o

include ../../../Makefile.config

decs.h: decs.H
jacobcalc.c: decs.h
linkup.c: decs.h
slave1.c: decs.h
jacobcalc2.c: decs.h
main.c: decs.h
slave2.c: decs.h
laplacalc.c: decs.h
multi.c: decs.h
subblock.c: decs.h

The patch I think made some changes to makefile.config. Here it is:
CC := gcc
CFLAGS := -O3 -pthread -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112
#CFLAGS := -g3 -pthread -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112
CFLAGS := $(CFLAGS) -Wall -W -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations
-Wredundant-decls -Wdisabled-optimization
CFLAGS := $(CFLAGS) -Wpadded -Winline -Wpointer-arith -Wsign-compare
-Wendif-labels
LDFLAGS := -lm

BASEDIR := $(HOME)/splash2/codes
MACROS := $(BASEDIR)/null_macros/c.m4.null
M4 := m4 -s -Ulen -Uindex

x = *

$(TARGET): $(OBJS)
    $(CC) $(OBJS) $(CFLAGS) -o $(TARGET) $(LDFLAGS)

clean:
    rm -rf *.c *.h *.o $(TARGET)

.SUFFIXES:
.SUFFIXES:    .o .c .C .h .H

.H.h:
    $(M4) $(MACROS) $*.H > $*.h

.C.c:
    $(M4) $(MACROS) $*.C > $*.c

.c.o:
    $(CC) -c $(CFLAGS) $*.c

.C.o:
    $(M4) $(MACROS) $*.C > $*.c
    $(CC) -c $(CFLAGS) $*.c

annoying m4 is still there....:-(

@ 2008-05-05 13:21                           ` Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2008-05-05 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mahmoodn; +Cc: gcc-help

On 5/5/08, mahmoodn <nt_mahmood@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I installed "patch" command. Then I read . After applying the patch, I run
> "make" again as the guide said. Here is the error I got:super::
> m4 -s -Ulen -Uindex /home/ubuntu/splash2/codes/null_macros/c.m4.null decs.H
> > decs.h
> /bin/sh: m4: not found
> make: *** [decs.h] Error 127

Your sources are NOT c ready--that's what the m4 macro processor is
needed for.  (and it has nothing to do with make).

You have several choices it seems to me:

1.  Install GNU m4.
2.  Have someone with m4 generate the *.c and *.h files for you.
3.  Manually look at what the macros are doing and make the
transformations yourself.

If you're going to continue to use GNU programs I suggest doing number
1 (best when done on a Linux or Unix system).  Get m4 here:

  <http://www.gnu.org/software/m4/m4.html>

Good luck.

-Tom

* Re: Need help for an old makefile
@ 2008-05-05 14:51                             ` mahmoodn
From: mahmoodn @ 2008-05-05 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Ok I will try. Before downloading and installing m4, I wnat to know is the
version of m4 dependent on version of gcc? For example  GCC 4.1?

Tom Browder wrote:

> On 5/5/08, mahmoodn <nt_mahmood@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> I installed "patch" command. Then I read . After applying the patch, I
>> run
>> "make" again as the guide said. Here is the error I got:super::
>> m4 -s -Ulen -Uindex /home/ubuntu/splash2/codes/null_macros/c.m4.null
>> decs.H
>> > decs.h
>> /bin/sh: m4: not found
>> make: *** [decs.h] Error 127
>
> Your sources are NOT c ready--that's what the m4 macro processor is
> needed for.  (and it has nothing to do with make).
>
> You have several choices it seems to me:
>
> 1.  Install GNU m4.
> 2.  Have someone with m4 generate the *.c and *.h files for you.
> 3.  Manually look at what the macros are doing and make the
> transformations yourself.
>
> If you're going to continue to use GNU programs I suggest doing number
> 1 (best when done on a Linux or Unix system).  Get m4 here:
>
>   <http://www.gnu.org/software/m4/m4.html>
>
> Good luck.
>
> -Tom

* Re: Need help for an old makefile
@ 2008-05-05 21:01                               ` Tom Browder
                                                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Tom Browder @ 2008-05-05 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mahmoodn; +Cc: gcc-help

On 5/5/08, mahmoodn <nt_mahmood@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ok I will try. Before downloading and installing m4, I wnat to know is the
> version of m4 dependent on version of gcc? For example  GCC 4.1?

Well, I've not ever had to install it myself--it has always been
standard with the Irix and linux distributions I've used for years
(Redhat, then Fedora).  Get the package I pointed you to and read the
instructions.  It will tell you if there are any unusual requirements,
but it is probably ported to your existing system with its base C
compiler.

And by the way, exactly what system/OS are you using that you are
having so much trouble with?  If it's not Linux, Free BSD, Solaris, or
some other *nix, find the nearest one to you and save yourself a lot
of trouble.

-Tom

* Re: Need help for an old makefile
@ 2008-05-05 22:00                                 ` Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2008-05-05 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mahmoodn; +Cc: gcc-help

@ 2008-05-06  3:54                                 ` mahmoodn
From: mahmoodn @ 2008-05-06  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

> what system/OS are you using that you are
>having so much trouble with?

Currently I have ubuntu 8.04 (hardy) which I think has GCC 4.2. I also
tested it with GCC 3.4 on ubuntu 7.04 (gutsy) to test, because I thought
older gcc would help.

OK, I will use package manager in ubuntu to find the m4 or I will install it
manualy and will tell the result.

@ 2008-05-20 13:12                                 ` mahmoodn
From: mahmoodn @ 2008-05-20 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Thank you. I installed m4 and the error related to m4, is solved=). There are
some syntax error duo to old versions and I will cope with them.

Thanks all,:handshake: