* MIPS backtrace question ...
@ 2006-07-19 10:22 chingfu
From: chingfu @ 2006-07-19 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,
   I work on mips platform but there are some problem when I debug. GCC
dispenses
with the frame pointer and uses only the stack pointer, which changes during
execution
of the procedure. I can not get frame pointer to find ra and next frame. And
I still not
found good solution after I search from google.
   How do I traverse back to get the information about previous frame and
the
subsequent ? Is only way to use external GDB/ICE ?
Sent from the gcc - Help forum at Nabble.com.

* Re: MIPS backtrace question ...
@ 2006-07-19 10:28 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2006-07-19 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chingfu; +Cc: gcc-help

chingfu writes:

 > Hi,
 >    I work on mips platform but there are some problem when I debug. GCC
 > dispenses
 > with the frame pointer and uses only the stack pointer, which changes during
 > execution
 > of the procedure. I can not get frame pointer to find ra and next frame. And
 > I still not
 > found good solution after I search from google.
 >    How do I traverse back to get the information about previous frame and
 > the
 > subsequent ? Is only way to use external GDB/ICE ?

Recent versions of gdb and backtrace() use DWARF debuginfo to do the
unwinding.  That's the only way to make it work as far as I know,
although you may use -fno-omit-frame-pointer.

Andrew.