From: Paul Smith <paul@mad-scientist.net>
To: Stuff Received <stuff@riddermarkfarm.ca>, gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Confusion on the latest git
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:09:34 -0400	[thread overview]

On Mon, 2024-04-15 at 18:45 -0400, Stuff Received wrote:
> I "git pull" every once in a while and then build, noting which
> version is being built via "git log".
>
>  [...]
>
> Why does Shead's commit appear first after the daily bump and
> Wielaard's commit when the date is before the latter?

Because you are looking at the author date.  The author date tells you
the date that the author created the commit.  But that might be very
different from the date when the commit was pushed to the remote.

If you want to see the latter date you want the committed date.  You
can see info on both the author and the committer by adding
"--pretty=fuller" (among other options) to "git log".

Generally git sorts by date committed, not date authored.