From: Arthur Haas <cs004@yoda.wg.waii.com>
To: help-gcc@gnu.org
Subject: Re: make error
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 23:56:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Rob <"oostveen"@ReaX-IT.nX (X=l)> writes:

> hi,
> # make
> make[1]: Entering directory '/tmp/bash-2.03/builtins'
> rm -f libbuiltins.a
> cr libbuiltins.a builtins.o .... <rest of objects> ...
> make[1]: cr: command not found
> make[1]: *** [libbuiltins.a] Error 127
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/bash-2.03/builtins'
> make: *** [builtins/libbuiltins.a] Error 1
> #
>
> It seems to be missing the cr command... i don't know what it is or what
> it
> does. Anyone have a clue ?

You aren't missing the 'cr' command (if it exists), make
can't find 'ar'! The output from make should have looked
like ...

ar cr libbuiltins.a (bunch of '.o' files)

Where is 'ar' on your system? If it is in a strange place, you
might need to do something like ...

# make AR="/why/would/anyone/put/ar/in/this/directory"

or edit the Makefile in the subdirectories to point to
your 'ar'.

Note: If you are building compiling as root, your PATH
may not include where 'ar' is installed. I'm guessing
you can be doing this because your prompt is '#'.

--
# Art Haas