* HELP!: A gcc for solaris 7?
@ 1999-09-07 18:21 Sandra COmbs
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Sandra COmbs @ 1999-09-07 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

HELP!: A gcc for solaris 7?

Had horrible boot-disk crash; had to reinstall *some* OS, so, since
"y2k" is fast approaching, decided to jump straight out of my current
frying pan of 2.5.1 (will fail at y2k) into 2.7 ("Why not -- I'll have
to go there some day anyway, no?").

Which I did, via Sun's newest and greatest "May 99".

Now, all I need is a COMPILER!

I called gnu (ie free software foundation), they told me that they
did not yet have a gcc for Solaris 7.   Also said that none of their
"binary cds" (most recent is 1998) would have one that would work
on Solaris 7.

Surely SOMEONE must have already solved this problem.

(I sure don't want to have to purchase the c++ developer-stuff
from Sun -- WAY too expensive for me.)

Thanks so much!

David

* Re: HELP!: A gcc for solaris 7?
@ 1999-09-08  0:16 ` Maurizio Loreti
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Maurizio Loreti @ 1999-09-08  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Sandra COmbs <scombs@ibm.net> writes:

> HELP!: A gcc for solaris 7?

DON'T PANIC!

You may get precompiled binaries for Solaris from a lot of web sites.
The one I would use from Italy is sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch (you may
prefer to ask Altavista or Archie); in mirror/solaris-binaries/sparc I
see a promising GNUgcc.2.7.2.3.SPARC.32bit.SOLARIS.7.pkg.tgz ,
together with a lot of other interesting names.

Once you have a minimal compiler working, you may install the latest
distribution: i.e. 2.95.1, that comes with C++, objective-c and Java
support and with the latest libraries.

--
Maurizio Loreti                      http://wwwcdf.pd.infn.it/~loreti/mlo.html
Un. of Padova, Dept. of Physics - Padova, Italy          loreti@padova.infn.it

* Re: HELP!: A gcc for solaris 7?
@ 1999-09-08 14:49 ` Robert O'Dowd
                     ` (2 more replies)
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert O'Dowd @ 1999-09-08 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Sandra COmbs wrote:

> HELP!: A gcc for solaris 7?
>[Snip]

> I called gnu (ie free software foundation), they told me that they
> did not yet have a gcc for Solaris 7.   Also said that none of their
> "binary cds" (most recent is 1998) would have one that would work
> on Solaris 7.

[Snip]

Have a look at http://smc.vnet.net/

Not sure about Solaris 7 specifically, but whenever I've needed
freeware in binary form for sunos/solaris I've managed to find
it there.

Good hunting.

-<Automagically included trailer>
Robert O'Dowd                       Ph    +61 (8) 8259 6546
MOD/DSTO	                    Fax    +61 (8) 8259 5139
P.O. Box 1500                       Email:
robert.odowd@dsto.defence.gov.au
Salisbury, South Australia, 5108

Disclaimer: Opinions above are mine and may be worth what you paid for
them

* Re: HELP!: A gcc for solaris 7?
@ 1999-09-09  0:08   ` Christian Jönsson FOA 72
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Christian Jönsson FOA 72 @ 1999-09-09  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Robert O'Dowd <nospam@nonexistant.com> writes:

> Sandra COmbs wrote:
> >
> > HELP!: A gcc for solaris 7?
> >[Snip]
>

> > I called gnu (ie free software foundation), they told me that they
> > did not yet have a gcc for Solaris 7.   Also said that none of their
> > "binary cds" (most recent is 1998) would have one that would work
> > on Solaris 7.
> >
> [Snip]
>
> Have a look at http://smc.vnet.net/
>
> Not sure about Solaris 7 specifically, but whenever I've needed
> freeware in binary form for sunos/solaris I've managed to find
> it there.
>
> Good hunting.

You might want to have a look at
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/packages/solaris/sparc/ also.

Cheers,

--
Christian Jönsson                                   chj@lin.foa.se
Sweden's Defence Research Establishment

* Re: HELP!: A gcc for solaris 7?
@ 1999-09-09 14:49     ` Rich Benter
From: Rich Benter @ 1999-09-09 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

"Christian Jönsson FOA 72" wrote:

> Robert O'Dowd <nospam@nonexistant.com> writes:
>
> > Sandra COmbs wrote:
> > >
> > > HELP!: A gcc for solaris 7?
> > >[Snip]
> >

> > > I called gnu (ie free software foundation), they told me that they
> > > did not yet have a gcc for Solaris 7.   Also said that none of their
> > > "binary cds" (most recent is 1998) would have one that would work
> > > on Solaris 7.
> > >
> > [Snip]
> >
> > Have a look at http://smc.vnet.net/
> >
> > Not sure about Solaris 7 specifically, but whenever I've needed
> > freeware in binary form for sunos/solaris I've managed to find
> > it there.
> >
> > Good hunting.
> >

> You might want to have a look at
> ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/packages/solaris/sparc/ also.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Christian Jönsson                                   chj@lin.foa.se
> Sweden's Defence Research Establishment
> Dep't of Communication Systems                      FOA 72
Go to http://ftp.sunet.se/sun-freeware/ and glance over to
your right, the 2.8.1 package for system 7 is there for
easy download. Tell me how it goes, because I'm waiting on
the solaris 7 promotional version in the mail. If I can't
have my gcc, I'm definately not going to load it;-)

enjoy

* Re: HELP!: A gcc for solaris 7?
@ 1999-09-09 14:49 ` Rich Benter
From: Rich Benter @ 1999-09-09 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Sandra COmbs wrote:

> HELP!: A gcc for solaris 7?
>
> Had horrible boot-disk crash; had to reinstall *some* OS, so, since
> "y2k" is fast approaching, decided to jump straight out of my current
> frying pan of 2.5.1 (will fail at y2k) into 2.7 ("Why not -- I'll have
> to go there some day anyway, no?").
>
> Which I did, via Sun's newest and greatest "May 99".
>
> Now, all I need is a COMPILER!
>
> I called gnu (ie free software foundation), they told me that they
> did not yet have a gcc for Solaris 7.   Also said that none of their
> "binary cds" (most recent is 1998) would have one that would work
> on Solaris 7.
>
> Surely SOMEONE must have already solved this problem.
>
> (I sure don't want to have to purchase the c++ developer-stuff
> from Sun -- WAY too expensive for me.)
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> David
Go ahead and try http://ftp.sunet.se/sun-freeware/ it's a great place
for packages, it should be just over to the right. Let me know
how the install goes because I'm in the process of checking out
system 7 but not without a compiler.

enjoy

* HELP!: A gcc for solaris 7?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-09-30 23:56 ` Sandra COmbs
From: Sandra COmbs @ 1999-09-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-09-30 23:56   ` Rich Benter
From: Rich Benter @ 1999-09-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-09-30 23:56   ` Maurizio Loreti
From: Maurizio Loreti @ 1999-09-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-09-30 23:56   ` Robert O'Dowd
From: Robert O'Dowd @ 1999-09-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

From: Rich Benter @ 1999-09-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-09-30 23:56     ` Christian Jönsson FOA 72
From: Christian Jönsson FOA 72 @ 1999-09-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-10-01  0:00   ` Rich Benter
From: Rich Benter @ 1999-10-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-10-01  0:00   ` Maurizio Loreti
From: Maurizio Loreti @ 1999-10-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-10-01  0:00     ` Christian Jönsson FOA 72
From: Christian Jönsson FOA 72 @ 1999-10-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-10-01  0:00   ` Robert O'Dowd
From: Robert O'Dowd @ 1999-10-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Sandra COmbs wrote:

> HELP!: A gcc for solaris 7?
>[Snip]

> I called gnu (ie free software foundation), they told me that they
> did not yet have a gcc for Solaris 7.   Also said that none of their
> "binary cds" (most recent is 1998) would have one that would work
> on Solaris 7.

[Snip]

Have a look at http://smc.vnet.net/

Not sure about Solaris 7 specifically, but whenever I've needed
freeware in binary form for sunos/solaris I've managed to find
it there.

Good hunting.

-<Automagically included trailer>
Robert O'Dowd                       Ph    +61 (8) 8259 6546
MOD/DSTO	                    Fax    +61 (8) 8259 5139
P.O. Box 1500                       Email:
robert.odowd@dsto.defence.gov.au
Salisbury, South Australia, 5108

Disclaimer: Opinions above are mine and may be worth what you paid for
them

* HELP!: A gcc for solaris 7?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-10-01  0:00 ` Sandra COmbs