* GCC and Windows 98
@ 1999-09-03 10:17 Stef
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Stef @ 1999-09-03 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

I have installed the GNU toolkit onto my PC and am unable to compile even
the basic demo program.  The error message that is received is as follows:

################################

C:\Program Files\hitachi\GNU\DEMO>make

gcc -O -g -S hello.c

Stack Fault at eip=107399
eax=00000000 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000000 edx=00000000 esi=00000000
edi=00000000
ebp=00000000 esp=00166c48 cs=177 ds=16f es=16f fs=16f gs=187 ss=17f
cr2=00006fe3

Call frame traceback EIPs:
  0x00107399

make.exe: *** [hello.s] Error 1

################################

The hello.c file is as follows:

################################

void __main(){}

void exit()
{
    while(1);
}

main()
{
    return 0;
}

################################

I am running MS Windows 98 and the version of the GCC.EXE is 2.7-97r1a.

I have tried runing the command "gcc hello.c" with just the default
settings, changing the FILES in the CONFIG.SYS file, tried different folder
locations (to prevent any DOS 8.3 problems) all returning the same STACK
FAULT error.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Stef

* Re: GCC and Windows 98
@ 1999-09-06  1:22 ` Patrick Block
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Patrick Block @ 1999-09-06  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Stef:

I'm running windows 98 and gcc for win32.

I'm not exactly sure what is going on here.

What I'd do is this:

make a hello program (like with Notepad) like this:

#include <stdio.h>
int main ()
{
printf ("hello!\n\nPress enter");
getchar ();
return 0;
}

after you write that, save it as hello.c
then get an MSDos prompt and go to the directory where you saved it, and
type:

gcc -luser32 -o hello.exe hello.c

This will link in the library for console applications and tell the compiler
to give the end product the name "hello.exe".

Then you'll be able to run the program from the command line or from
Explorer.

Make sure gcc has been added to your path.

Hope that helps. Feel free to email me at

mailto: panic@apexmail.com

Stef <stef@email.address> wrote in message
news: 7qovlu$j55$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk ...
> I have installed the GNU toolkit onto my PC and am unable to compile even
> the basic demo program.  The error message that is received is as follows:
>
> ################################
>
> C:\Program Files\hitachi\GNU\DEMO>make
>
> gcc -O -g -S hello.c
>
> Stack Fault at eip=107399
> eax=00000000 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000000 edx=00000000 esi=00000000
> edi=00000000
> ebp=00000000 esp=00166c48 cs=177 ds=16f es=16f fs=16f gs=187 ss=17f
> cr2=00006fe3
>
> Call frame traceback EIPs:
>   0x00107399
>
> make.exe: *** [hello.s] Error 1
>
> ################################
>

> The hello.c file is as follows:
>

> ################################
>
> void __main(){}
>
> void exit()
> {
>     while(1);
> }
>
> main()
> {
>     return 0;
> }
>
> ################################
>
> I am running MS Windows 98 and the version of the GCC.EXE is 2.7-97r1a.
>
> I have tried runing the command "gcc hello.c" with just the default
> settings, changing the FILES in the CONFIG.SYS file, tried different
folder
> locations (to prevent any DOS 8.3 problems) all returning the same STACK
> FAULT error.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Stef

* Re: GCC and Windows 98
@ 1999-09-06  2:10 ` Martin Kahlert
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Martin Kahlert @ 1999-09-06  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

[Posted and mailed]

In article < 7qovlu$j55$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk >,
	"Stef" <stef@email.address> writes:
> ################################
>
> void __main(){}
>
> void exit()
> {
>     while(1);
> }
>
> main()
> {
>     return 0;
> }
>
> ################################
I don't know, what this should be.
What's the void __main(){} line good for?
Why do you replace the exit reoutine (which
is called automatically at the end of any main routine)
with a never ending loop?

> I am running MS Windows 98 and the version of the GCC.EXE is 2.7-97r1a.
> I have tried runing the command "gcc hello.c" with just the default
> settings, changing the FILES in the CONFIG.SYS file, tried different folder
> locations (to prevent any DOS 8.3 problems) all returning the same STACK
> FAULT error.
I don't know, what gcc you use. Try the one from
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32
mingw32 is the version, which produces native win32 apps.

--
esa$ gcc -Wall -o ariane5 ariane5.c
ariane5.c: 666: warning: long float implicitly truncated to unsigned type

* Re: GCC and Windows 98
@ 1999-09-06 10:05   ` Stef
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Stef @ 1999-09-06 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

function, these were at the suggestion of the readme file that came with the
native Hitachi SH2 development board.

Tried again with a simple for loop and no optimisation.  Guess what, same
Stack Fault.

In essence I am trying to compile the code for subsequent serial download to
an SH2 processor.  Unfortunately it doesn't compile at all (even as a simple
win32 'exe).  I've had it working in the past on other PC's and my colleague
has it working happily (exact same version) on his PC.  And I'm baffled.  I
can only conclude that there is a SW/HW conflict at a much lower level (I
sincerely hope not, and at the moment don't really count it as a viable
answer...).

I have again tried it with the previous response (as an -luser32 exe) but
again the exact same stack fault.

At a loose end here!

[Running Windows98, Gigabyte Motherboard, Celeron 400MHx, 10GB HDD and 64MB
RAM... shouldn't cause a problem I think?]

Thanks in advance,

Stef

Martin Kahlert <martin.kahlert@keksy.mchp.siemens.de> wrote in message
news: 7r008g$bcg$1@news.mch.sbs.de ...
> [Posted and mailed]
>
> In article < 7qovlu$j55$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk >,
> "Stef" <stef@email.address> writes:
> > ################################
> >
> > void __main(){}
> >
> > void exit()
> > {
> >     while(1);
> > }
> >
> > main()
> > {
> >     return 0;
> > }
> >
> > ################################
> I don't know, what this should be.
> What's the void __main(){} line good for?
> Why do you replace the exit reoutine (which
> is called automatically at the end of any main routine)
> with a never ending loop?

* Re: GCC and Windows 98
@ 1999-09-13  1:39     ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 1999-09-13  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999 18:08:50 +0100, "Stef" <stef@email.address> wrote:

>In essence I am trying to compile the code for subsequent serial download to
>an SH2 processor.  Unfortunately it doesn't compile at all (even as a simple
>win32 'exe).

 You could try another SH-target toolset for Win32 host, e.g. via :
    http://www.nettilinja.fi/~ankosken/embtools.htm

* Re: GCC and Windows 98
@ 1999-09-30 23:56   ` Martin Kahlert
From: Martin Kahlert @ 1999-09-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-09-30 23:56 ` Stef
From: Stef @ 1999-09-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-09-30 23:56     ` Stef
From: Stef @ 1999-09-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

function, these were at the suggestion of the readme file that came with the
native Hitachi SH2 development board.

Tried again with a simple for loop and no optimisation.  Guess what, same
Stack Fault.

In essence I am trying to compile the code for subsequent serial download to
an SH2 processor.  Unfortunately it doesn't compile at all (even as a simple
win32 'exe).  I've had it working in the past on other PC's and my colleague
has it working happily (exact same version) on his PC.  And I'm baffled.  I
can only conclude that there is a SW/HW conflict at a much lower level (I
sincerely hope not, and at the moment don't really count it as a viable
answer...).

I have again tried it with the previous response (as an -luser32 exe) but
again the exact same stack fault.

At a loose end here!

[Running Windows98, Gigabyte Motherboard, Celeron 400MHx, 10GB HDD and 64MB
RAM... shouldn't cause a problem I think?]

Thanks in advance,

Stef

Martin Kahlert <martin.kahlert@keksy.mchp.siemens.de> wrote in message
news: 7r008g$bcg$1@news.mch.sbs.de ...
> [Posted and mailed]
>
> In article < 7qovlu$j55$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk >,
> "Stef" <stef@email.address> writes:
> > ################################
> >
> > void __main(){}
> >
> > void exit()
> > {
> >     while(1);
> > }
> >
> > main()
> > {
> >     return 0;
> > }
> >
> > ################################
> I don't know, what this should be.
> What's the void __main(){} line good for?
> Why do you replace the exit reoutine (which
> is called automatically at the end of any main routine)
> with a never ending loop?

* Re: GCC and Windows 98
@ 1999-09-30 23:56   ` Patrick Block
From: Patrick Block @ 1999-09-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Stef:

I'm running windows 98 and gcc for win32.

I'm not exactly sure what is going on here.

What I'd do is this:

make a hello program (like with Notepad) like this:

#include <stdio.h>
int main ()
{
printf ("hello!\n\nPress enter");
getchar ();
return 0;
}

after you write that, save it as hello.c
then get an MSDos prompt and go to the directory where you saved it, and
type:

gcc -luser32 -o hello.exe hello.c

This will link in the library for console applications and tell the compiler
to give the end product the name "hello.exe".

Then you'll be able to run the program from the command line or from
Explorer.

Make sure gcc has been added to your path.

Hope that helps. Feel free to email me at

mailto: panic@apexmail.com

Stef <stef@email.address> wrote in message
news: 7qovlu$j55$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk ...
> I have installed the GNU toolkit onto my PC and am unable to compile even
> the basic demo program.  The error message that is received is as follows:
>
> ################################
>
> C:\Program Files\hitachi\GNU\DEMO>make
>
> gcc -O -g -S hello.c
>
> Stack Fault at eip=107399
> eax=00000000 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000000 edx=00000000 esi=00000000
> edi=00000000
> ebp=00000000 esp=00166c48 cs=177 ds=16f es=16f fs=16f gs=187 ss=17f
> cr2=00006fe3
>
> Call frame traceback EIPs:
>   0x00107399
>
> make.exe: *** [hello.s] Error 1
>
> ################################
>

> The hello.c file is as follows:
>

> ################################
>
> void __main(){}
>
> void exit()
> {
>     while(1);
> }
>
> main()
> {
>     return 0;
> }
>
> ################################
>
> I am running MS Windows 98 and the version of the GCC.EXE is 2.7-97r1a.
>
> I have tried runing the command "gcc hello.c" with just the default
> settings, changing the FILES in the CONFIG.SYS file, tried different
folder
> locations (to prevent any DOS 8.3 problems) all returning the same STACK
> FAULT error.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Stef

* Re: GCC and Windows 98
@ 1999-09-30 23:56       ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 1999-09-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-10-01  0:00   ` Martin Kahlert
From: Martin Kahlert @ 1999-10-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

[Posted and mailed]

In article < 7qovlu$j55$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk >,
	"Stef" <stef@email.address> writes:
> ################################
>
> void __main(){}
>
> void exit()
> {
>     while(1);
> }
>
> main()
> {
>     return 0;
> }
>
> ################################
I don't know, what this should be.
What's the void __main(){} line good for?
Why do you replace the exit reoutine (which
is called automatically at the end of any main routine)
with a never ending loop?

> I am running MS Windows 98 and the version of the GCC.EXE is 2.7-97r1a.
> I have tried runing the command "gcc hello.c" with just the default
> settings, changing the FILES in the CONFIG.SYS file, tried different folder
> locations (to prevent any DOS 8.3 problems) all returning the same STACK
> FAULT error.
I don't know, what gcc you use. Try the one from
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32
mingw32 is the version, which produces native win32 apps.

--
esa$ gcc -Wall -o ariane5 ariane5.c
ariane5.c: 666: warning: long float implicitly truncated to unsigned type
esa$ ariane5

* GCC and Windows 98
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-10-01  0:00 ` Stef
From: Stef @ 1999-10-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-10-01  0:00       ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 1999-10-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-10-01  0:00   ` Patrick Block
From: Patrick Block @ 1999-10-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Stef:

I'm running windows 98 and gcc for win32.

I'm not exactly sure what is going on here.

What I'd do is this:

make a hello program (like with Notepad) like this:

#include <stdio.h>
int main ()
{
printf ("hello!\n\nPress enter");
getchar ();
return 0;
}

after you write that, save it as hello.c
then get an MSDos prompt and go to the directory where you saved it, and
type:

gcc -luser32 -o hello.exe hello.c

This will link in the library for console applications and tell the compiler
to give the end product the name "hello.exe".

Then you'll be able to run the program from the command line or from
Explorer.

Make sure gcc has been added to your path.

Hope that helps. Feel free to email me at

mailto: panic@apexmail.com

Stef <stef@email.address> wrote in message
news: 7qovlu$j55$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk ...
> I have installed the GNU toolkit onto my PC and am unable to compile even
> the basic demo program.  The error message that is received is as follows:
>
> ################################
>
> C:\Program Files\hitachi\GNU\DEMO>make
>
> gcc -O -g -S hello.c
>
> Stack Fault at eip=107399
> eax=00000000 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000000 edx=00000000 esi=00000000
> edi=00000000
> ebp=00000000 esp=00166c48 cs=177 ds=16f es=16f fs=16f gs=187 ss=17f
> cr2=00006fe3
>
> Call frame traceback EIPs:
>   0x00107399
>
> make.exe: *** [hello.s] Error 1
>
> ################################
>

> The hello.c file is as follows:
>

> ################################
>
> void __main(){}
>
> void exit()
> {
>     while(1);
> }
>
> main()
> {
>     return 0;
> }
>
> ################################
>
> I am running MS Windows 98 and the version of the GCC.EXE is 2.7-97r1a.
>
> I have tried runing the command "gcc hello.c" with just the default
> settings, changing the FILES in the CONFIG.SYS file, tried different
folder
> locations (to prevent any DOS 8.3 problems) all returning the same STACK
> FAULT error.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Stef