* IEEE format error
@ 1999-09-14  1:49 Andrew Davies
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Andrew Davies @ 1999-09-14  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Hi,
	I'm trying to get the linker to generate a file in IEEE format for use in
a 68000 embedded application. When I load the file into my simulator (flex
68k) it produces this error:

IEEE695: @00000055 File format error (Unknown CPU type)

	I assume this is some missing information that is not being added by the
linker. Dose anybody know how to get it to add this information?

Thanks.

* Re: IEEE format error
@ 1999-09-14  2:07 ` Sebastien Cayetanot
                     ` (3 more replies)
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Sebastien Cayetanot @ 1999-09-14  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Hi,

I just would like to know what is the target you use to generate file in IEEE
format ?
I developp a Mips embedded application and my target is mips-mips-elf, what do you
write instead of elf ?

Maybe this idea could help you:

when I compile for a mips processor I must indicate to the compiler that my CPU_TYPE
is a R3000 or R4000 .. .

Thanks

* Re: IEEE format error
@ 1999-09-14  2:56   ` Andrew Davies
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrew Davies @ 1999-09-14  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

> I just would like to know what is the target you use to generate file in
IEEE
> format ?

The version that I'm using has the option for generating a file in ieee
format. I use the following command in the linker command file to specify
this:

OUTPUT_FORMAT(ieee)

To find out which formats yours supports use the objdump command with the
-i option.

> I developp a Mips embedded application and my target is mips-mips-elf,
what do you
> write instead of elf ?

m68k-coff-ld	for the linker

	Elf format would be of more use to me but I don't know how to do a build
or patch to make my compiler support it.

> Maybe this idea could help you:
>
> when I compile for a mips processor I must indicate to the compiler that
my CPU_TYPE
> is a R3000 or R4000 .. .

I use the command TARGET(m68000) in the linker command file, but that
doesn't work.

* Re: IEEE format error
@ 1999-09-15  2:01   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-09-15  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Cayetanot; +Cc: help-gcc

  In message < 37DE0F48.D2786865@dotcom.fr >you write:
  > I just would like to know what is the target you use to generate file in
  > IEEE format ?
  >
  > I developp a Mips embedded application and my target is mips-mips-elf,
  > what do youwrite instead of elf ?
Use mips-elf to build binaries, then use objcopy from the binutils suite to
convert your binary into ieee format.
jeff

* Re: IEEE format error
@ 1999-09-15 23:59 ` Hans Peter Jepsen
From: Hans Peter Jepsen @ 1999-09-15 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Andrew Davies wrote:

>         I'm trying to get the linker to generate a file in IEEE format for use in
> a 68000 embedded application. When I load the file into my simulator (flex
> 68k) it produces this error:
>
> IEEE695: @00000055 File format error (Unknown CPU type)

There is an error in binutils-2.9.1 regarding this. I downloaded the binutils-990801
snapshot from sourceware.cygnus.com.
Here it was fixed. So pick up a recent snapshot of binutils.

Regards

Hans Peter

* Re: IEEE format error
@ 1999-09-30 23:56   ` Sebastien Cayetanot
From: Sebastien Cayetanot @ 1999-09-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-09-30 23:56   ` Hans Peter Jepsen
From: Hans Peter Jepsen @ 1999-09-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-09-30 23:56     ` Andrew Davies
From: Andrew Davies @ 1999-09-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-09-30 23:56     ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-09-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Cayetanot; +Cc: help-gcc

From: Andrew Davies @ 1999-09-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-10-01  0:00   ` Hans Peter Jepsen
From: Hans Peter Jepsen @ 1999-10-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Andrew Davies wrote:

>         I'm trying to get the linker to generate a file in IEEE format for use in
> a 68000 embedded application. When I load the file into my simulator (flex
> 68k) it produces this error:
>
> IEEE695: @00000055 File format error (Unknown CPU type)

There is an error in binutils-2.9.1 regarding this. I downloaded the binutils-990801
snapshot from sourceware.cygnus.com.
Here it was fixed. So pick up a recent snapshot of binutils.

Regards

Hans Peter

* IEEE format error
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)