* sig11 when compiling gcc (2.95/2.95.1/egcs-1.1.2) - software problem
@ 1999-09-05 22:36 jwk
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: jwk @ 1999-09-05 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

All gcc versions I tried die when using xgcc for the first time. Now I
know this is a software problem, since on a clean RH 5.2 install on
another partition I can compile 20 times without error, and if I chroot
to that partition, things also work well.

Now to the solution: does anybody have any hints what to check first? I
cleaned out all remnants of gcc-installations from /usr/local/bin, what
should be next? Checking /usr/bin, or checking libraries - if so, which
ones?

I hope someone more knowledgable than me has any ideas here - the
prospect of re-installation is a bit daunting....

Jurriaan

* Re: sig11 when compiling gcc (2.95/2.95.1/egcs-1.1.2) - software problem
@ 1999-09-06  6:04 ` Graham Seaman
                     ` (4 more replies)
From: Graham Seaman @ 1999-09-06  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

:
: Now to the solution: does anybody have any hints what to check first? I
: cleaned out all remnants of gcc-installations from /usr/local/bin, what
: should be next? Checking /usr/bin, or checking libraries - if so, which
: ones?
:
: I hope someone more knowledgable than me has any ideas here - the
: prospect of re-installation is a bit daunting....
:
: Jurriaan
I have the same problem on a RedHat 5.2 system:
During make bootstrap:
./xgcc -B./ -B/usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ -I/usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/i
nclude -S tmp-dum.c
xgcc: Internal compiler error: program cpp got fatal signal 11

Kind people, help us both out... :-)

Graham

* Re: sig11 when compiling gcc (2.95/2.95.1/egcs-1.1.2) - software problem
@ 1999-09-06 11:38   ` jwk
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: jwk @ 1999-09-06 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

On 6 Sep 1999 13:56:32 GMT, Graham Seaman
<seamang@westminster.ac.uk> wrote:
>jwk (_hate_spam_thunder7@xs4all.nl) wrote:
>: All gcc versions I tried die when using xgcc for the first time. Now I
>: know this is a software problem, since on a clean RH 5.2 install on
>: another partition I can compile 20 times without error, and if I chroot
>: to that partition, things also work well.
>:
>: Now to the solution: does anybody have any hints what to check first? I
>: cleaned out all remnants of gcc-installations from /usr/local/bin, what
>: should be next? Checking /usr/bin, or checking libraries - if so, which
>: ones?
>:
>: I hope someone more knowledgable than me has any ideas here - the
>: prospect of re-installation is a bit daunting....
>
>I have the same problem on a RedHat 5.2 system:
>During make bootstrap:
>./xgcc -B./ -B/usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ -I/usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/i
>nclude -S tmp-dum.c
>xgcc: Internal compiler error: program cpp got fatal signal 11
>
>Kind people, help us both out... :-)
>
>Graham

I'm guessing I'm wrong somewhere with binutils & libc. Unfortunately,
randomly updating or downdating rpm's with --force hasn't helped yet....

PS The above is my exact error.

Jurriaan

* Re: sig11 when compiling gcc (2.95/2.95.1/egcs-1.1.2) - software problem
@ 1999-09-06 14:45   ` jwk
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: jwk @ 1999-09-06 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

On 6 Sep 1999 13:56:32 GMT, Graham Seaman
<seamang@westminster.ac.uk> wrote:
>jwk (_hate_spam_thunder7@xs4all.nl) wrote:
>: All gcc versions I tried die when using xgcc for the first time. Now I
>: know this is a software problem, since on a clean RH 5.2 install on
>: another partition I can compile 20 times without error, and if I chroot
>: to that partition, things also work well.
>:
>: Now to the solution: does anybody have any hints what to check first? I
>: cleaned out all remnants of gcc-installations from /usr/local/bin, what
>: should be next? Checking /usr/bin, or checking libraries - if so, which
>: ones?
>:
>: I hope someone more knowledgable than me has any ideas here - the
>: prospect of re-installation is a bit daunting....
>:
>: Jurriaan
>I have the same problem on a RedHat 5.2 system:
>During make bootstrap:
>./xgcc -B./ -B/usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ -I/usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/i
>nclude -S tmp-dum.c
>xgcc: Internal compiler error: program cpp got fatal signal 11
>
>Kind people, help us both out... :-)
>
>Graham

Now I know how to solve this:

I had glibc-2.1.1 (some development version) and binutils-2.9.1.0.25 or
so (also some development version) and I believe these two were biting
each other.

I re-installed the correct glibc and binutils, and all went well. Only
this re-installing isn't so simple. I made a partition on which I
installed a clean RH5, then moved /bin, /lib, /sbin over (after
backupping my original directories!!). Then began the process of finding
out what software I missed for booting. It turned out to be my raid
software, my isdn drivers and /lib/modules/2.2.10/. These copied, all
seemed to be well. A *lot* of software had to be recompiled, since a lot
of software referenced the deleted glibc-2.1.1.

Now I've installed binutils-2.9.5 and glibc-2.0.5 and all seems well.
Still, I'll want to upgrade glibc again. Very, very carefully this time
:-)

I hope this helps,
Jurriaan

PS It would be nice if ./configure warned about this, but I wouldn't
have the slightest idea on how to find out, so I'm not sure it's
possible.

* Re: sig11 when compiling gcc (2.95/2.95.1/egcs-1.1.2) - software problem
@ 1999-09-07  3:26   ` Renaud Pons
From: Renaud Pons @ 1999-09-07  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

    Graham> During make bootstrap: ./xgcc -B./
    Graham> -B/usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/
    Graham> -I/usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/i nclude -S tmp-dum.c xgcc:
    Graham> Internal compiler error: program cpp got fatal signal 11

I had exactly the same problem too. I tried many versions of gcc and
egcs. Finally the problem was coming from incompatibility between the
glibc libraries and the glibc include files. glibc-2.1 was installed
but the include files were from glibc-2.0.

Check your glibc version, download the corresponding glibc-devel.X.Y.Z
rpm and install it.

Good luck :-)
--
Renaud - mailto:rpons@laas.fr

* Re: sig11 when compiling gcc (2.95/2.95.1/egcs-1.1.2) - software problem
@ 1999-09-30 23:56     ` jwk
From: jwk @ 1999-09-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-09-30 23:56     ` Renaud Pons
From: Renaud Pons @ 1999-09-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-09-30 23:56 ` jwk

From: jwk @ 1999-09-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

On 6 Sep 1999 13:56:32 GMT, Graham Seaman
<seamang@westminster.ac.uk> wrote:
>jwk (_hate_spam_thunder7@xs4all.nl) wrote:
>: All gcc versions I tried die when using xgcc for the first time. Now I
>: know this is a software problem, since on a clean RH 5.2 install on
>: another partition I can compile 20 times without error, and if I chroot
>: to that partition, things also work well.
>:
>: Now to the solution: does anybody have any hints what to check first? I
>: cleaned out all remnants of gcc-installations from /usr/local/bin, what
>: should be next? Checking /usr/bin, or checking libraries - if so, which
>: ones?
>:
>: I hope someone more knowledgable than me has any ideas here - the
>: prospect of re-installation is a bit daunting....
>
>I have the same problem on a RedHat 5.2 system:
>During make bootstrap:
>./xgcc -B./ -B/usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ -I/usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/i
>nclude -S tmp-dum.c
>xgcc: Internal compiler error: program cpp got fatal signal 11
>
>Kind people, help us both out... :-)
>
>Graham

I'm guessing I'm wrong somewhere with binutils & libc. Unfortunately,
randomly updating or downdating rpm's with --force hasn't helped yet....

PS The above is my exact error.

Jurriaan

* Re: sig11 when compiling gcc (2.95/2.95.1/egcs-1.1.2) - software problem
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-09-30 23:56   ` Graham Seaman
From: Graham Seaman @ 1999-09-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-10-01  0:00     ` Renaud Pons
From: Renaud Pons @ 1999-10-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-10-01  0:00     ` jwk
From: jwk @ 1999-10-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

On 6 Sep 1999 13:56:32 GMT, Graham Seaman
<seamang@westminster.ac.uk> wrote:
>jwk (_hate_spam_thunder7@xs4all.nl) wrote:
>: All gcc versions I tried die when using xgcc for the first time. Now I
>: know this is a software problem, since on a clean RH 5.2 install on
>: another partition I can compile 20 times without error, and if I chroot
>: to that partition, things also work well.
>:
>: Now to the solution: does anybody have any hints what to check first? I
>: cleaned out all remnants of gcc-installations from /usr/local/bin, what
>: should be next? Checking /usr/bin, or checking libraries - if so, which
>: ones?
>:
>: I hope someone more knowledgable than me has any ideas here - the
>: prospect of re-installation is a bit daunting....
>:
>: Jurriaan
>I have the same problem on a RedHat 5.2 system:
>During make bootstrap:
>./xgcc -B./ -B/usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ -I/usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/i
>nclude -S tmp-dum.c
>xgcc: Internal compiler error: program cpp got fatal signal 11
>
>Kind people, help us both out... :-)
>
>Graham

Now I know how to solve this:

I had glibc-2.1.1 (some development version) and binutils-2.9.1.0.25 or
so (also some development version) and I believe these two were biting
each other.

I re-installed the correct glibc and binutils, and all went well. Only
this re-installing isn't so simple. I made a partition on which I
installed a clean RH5, then moved /bin, /lib, /sbin over (after
backupping my original directories!!). Then began the process of finding
out what software I missed for booting. It turned out to be my raid
software, my isdn drivers and /lib/modules/2.2.10/. These copied, all
seemed to be well. A *lot* of software had to be recompiled, since a lot
of software referenced the deleted glibc-2.1.1.

Now I've installed binutils-2.9.5 and glibc-2.0.5 and all seems well.
Still, I'll want to upgrade glibc again. Very, very carefully this time
:-)

I hope this helps,
Jurriaan

PS It would be nice if ./configure warned about this, but I wouldn't
have the slightest idea on how to find out, so I'm not sure it's
possible.

* Re: sig11 when compiling gcc (2.95/2.95.1/egcs-1.1.2) - software problem
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-10-01  0:00   ` Graham Seaman

From: jwk @ 1999-10-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc