* -Os  ???
@ 1999-10-27 21:58 David Leon
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Leon @ 1999-10-27 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

What does -Os do?
I've seen it used in the testsuite, but I haven't found a description in the
man pages, nor the info pages.

Thanks
    David Leon

* Re: -Os ???
@ 1999-10-27 22:57 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-10-27 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Leon; +Cc: help-gcc

  In message < 7v8l27$mom$1@alexander.INS.CWRU.Edu >you write:
  > What does -Os do?
  > I've seen it used in the testsuite, but I haven't found a description in th
  > man pages, nor the info pages.
It's certainly in the info pages.  Look more closely.

@item -Os
Optimize for size.  @samp{-Os} enables all @samp{-O2} optimizations that
do not typically increase code size.  It also performs further
optimizations designed to reduce code size.

* Re: -Os  ???
@ 1999-10-28  1:23 ` Eric Meijer
From: Eric Meijer @ 1999-10-28  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

David Leon (dzleon@yahoo.com) wrote:
: What does -Os do?
: I've seen it used in the testsuite, but I haven't found a description in the
: man pages, nor the info pages.

Then your info pages are out of date (the manual pages always are out of
date, that is normal):

`-Os'
     Optimize for size.  `-Os' enables all `-O2' optimizations that do
     not typically increase code size.  It also performs further
     optimizations designed to reduce code size.

     If you use multiple `-O' options, with or without level numbers,
     the last such option is the one that is effective.

This often gives the fastest executable on Pentium(II(I)) processors,
because small code fits in the cache more easily.

HTH,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@pebbles.chem.tue.nl)