* How to continue interrupted compile?
@ 1999-11-11  9:38 Matt Bartley
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Matt Bartley @ 1999-11-11  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

I am trying to compile gcc-2.95.2.  Since this is on a very slow
system, a SparcStation IPC (Solaris 2.6 if it matters), this will take
several hours at least.  This is a remote system.  I ssh into it,
start the compile process, and then forget about it for a long time.

My login terminal sessions to that system aren't stable enough to stay
up long enough to complete the entire compile.  The next time I log
back in and type "make bootstrap" again, I'm not sure it's continuing
where it left off rather than starting all over again.  All I'm sure
of is that I've been at this for over 2 days now and it still hasn't
managed to so much as build the stage 2 compiler.

This is what it's compiling right now:

stage1/xgcc -Bstage1/ -B/usr/local/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/bin/ -c  -DIN_GCC
 -DHAIFA  -DSVR4  -O2 -g -O2  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H    -I. -I.
 -I./config -I./../include regmove.c

I am compiling this with "./configure" followed by "make bootstrap".
I tried "make bootstrap-lite" at first, but figured that would be more
likely to require a complete recompile.

Am I doing something wrong?

"When PCs run new applications successfully, most people feel relief
and almost pathetic gratitude - a standard of reliability tolerated in
no other consumer product."

* Re: How to continue interrupted compile?
@ 1999-11-11 11:09 ` Volker Borchert
From: Volker Borchert @ 1999-11-11 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

In article < 80euki$qgs$1@nntp6.atl.mindspring.net >, mbartley@netcom.com (Matt Bartley) writes:

|> Am I doing something wrong?

try something like nohup

--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy <mccoy@ncc1701.starfleet.fed>
"I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert  <bt@teknon.de>

* Re: How to continue interrupted compile?
@ 1999-11-11 14:27 ` Neil McCarthy
From: Neil McCarthy @ 1999-11-11 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Try running it using at.

This gives you the output delivered to mail which is useful for testing.

Neil

news: 80euki$qgs$1@nntp6.atl.mindspring.net ...

@ 1999-11-12 13:50   ` Matt Bartley
From: Matt Bartley @ 1999-11-12 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

In article < 80f285$1nb$1@Uranos.teknon.de >,
Volker Borchert <bt@Gaia.teknon.de> wrote:

>In article < 80euki$qgs$1@nntp6.atl.mindspring.net >, mbartley@netcom.com
>(Matt Bartley) writes:

>|> Am I doing something wrong?

>try something like nohup

I'm pretty sure the remote host isn't kicking me off.  I think the
firewall (M$ Proxy) I have to ssh through has an idle timout, and if
the compile process hits a slow spot, with no text output for several
minutes, it blows away my connection.

Some more specifics: The last time this happened to me, it was in the
middle of building the "stage3" compiler.  When I restarted the
compile process, it completed compiling all the .c files in the gcc
directory, but *using the stage1 compiler*.  It then blew away the
previously done stage2 compiler.  I'm not sure where it is now.

@ 1999-11-30 23:28     ` Matt Bartley
From: Matt Bartley @ 1999-11-30 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-11-30 23:28   ` Neil McCarthy