* Installing gcc as a cross compiler
@ 1999-11-17 20:31 Michael Semenchenko
From: Michael Semenchenko @ 1999-11-17 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Hello !

I need to build the GNU cross compiler and cross linker:
  host:     i586-pc-linux
  target:   alpha-dec-osf

I was using sources:
  gcc:      gcc-2.95.2
  binutils: binutils-2.9.1

When configuring 'binutils' I get the message that 'as' and 'ld' are
incompatible with specified configuration. These programs were not built.
When building 'gcc' I got the linker error:
  toplev.o (.text+0x1d6a): Undefined reference to ASM_FILE_START

I shall greatly appreciate receiving answers on following questions:

- does anyone succeeded in doing this ?

- what I was doing wrong ?

- where can I get some specific information on 'gcc' as a cross-compiler ?
  Can I find anywhere in the net the list of cross-configurations succesfully
  installed ?

- are 'configure' options --with-as=/path/to/assembler and --with-ld=
  /path/to/ld obligatory ?

- can I build the GNU cross compiler, assembler and linker without
  system include files from DEC Alpha present in my computer ? In other way:
  is 'configure' option --with-headers=dir obligatory ?

- can I build the GNU cross compiler, assembler and linker without
  target runtime libraries present in my computer ? In other way: is
  'configure' option --with-libs=dir obligatory ?

Thank you for any comments.
Yours, Michael.

* Re: Installing gcc as a cross compiler
@ 1999-11-17 23:24 ` Eric Doenges
From: Eric Doenges @ 1999-11-17 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Michael Semenchenko <michael-sem@usa.net> writes:

>I need to build the GNU cross compiler and cross linker:
>  host:     i586-pc-linux
>  target:   alpha-dec-osf

>I was using sources:
>  gcc:      gcc-2.95.2
>  binutils: binutils-2.9.1

>When configuring 'binutils' I get the message that 'as' and 'ld' are
>incompatible with specified configuration. These programs were not built.

This is most likely your problem -- see below.

>When building 'gcc' I got the linker error:
>  toplev.o (.text+0x1d6a): Undefined reference to ASM_FILE_START
>- does anyone succeeded in doing this ?

I've successfully installed gcc-2.95.1 as an m68k-coff cross compiler on
ix86 Linux and on Alpha Digital Unix.

>- what I was doing wrong ?

It would help you you posted your configure command line.

>- where can I get some specific information on 'gcc' as a cross-compiler ?
>  Can I find anywhere in the net the list of cross-configurations succesfully
>  installed ?

There's a cross gcc FAQ somewhere on the Cygnus website
( http://egcs.cygnus.com/ ) and there is also a FAQ at
http://www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/ . The last time I checked, both FAQs were
rather useless to me because the were about older gcc version, but that
might have changed.

>- are 'configure' options --with-as=/path/to/assembler and --with-ld=
>  /path/to/ld obligatory ?

I would say that it can't hurt to specify them. However, since your target
is alpha-dec-osf, you're in for trouble -- gnu as and ld do not compile
for this platform, at least not with binutils 2.9.1. (Been there, tried
that, failed miserably)

>- can I build the GNU cross compiler, assembler and linker without
>  system include files from DEC Alpha present in my computer ? In other way:
>  is 'configure' option --with-headers=dir obligatory ?

I don't know about your setup, but in my case (m68k-coff), the
'--with-headers=...' was absolutely necessary.

>- can I build the GNU cross compiler, assembler and linker without
>  target runtime libraries present in my computer ? In other way: is
>  'configure' option --with-libs=dir obligatory ?

Personally, I don't think what you're trying to do will work - you'll need
an assembler and linker for the Alpha, and as far as I know you're out of
luck with binutils-2.9.1.
Dipl.-Ing. Eric Doenges                         http://www.rcs.ei.tum.de
Institute for Real-Time Computer Systems (RCS)      fon +49-89-289-23590
Technische Universitaet Muenchen, D-80290 Muenchen  fax +49-89-289-23555

* Installing gcc as a cross compiler
@ 1999-11-30 23:28 ` Michael Semenchenko
From: Michael Semenchenko @ 1999-11-30 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc