* Newbie needs help setting up GCC and GLIBC
@ 1999-11-09 20:15 Terence Kirk
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Terence Kirk @ 1999-11-09 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

I have many years experience working with C/++ in the Wintel world, and
I'm trying to get my bearings in the Linux universe. I  am running
RedHat 5.1.

When I do an "rpm -qa | grep gcc", I get the following:

    gcc-2.7.2.3-13

When I do an "rpm -qa | grep lib", I get the following:

    glibc-2.0.7-19
    libtermcap-2.0.8-9
    zlib-1.1.2-2
    cracklib-2.7-2
    cracklib-dicts-2.7-2
    glib-1.0.1-3
    gnome-libs-0.13-10
    imlib-1.6-1
    libc-5.3.12-27
    libg++-2.7.2.8-9
    libgr-2.0.13-12
    libgr-progs-2.0.13-12
    libjpeg-6b-5
    libpng-1.0.1-3
    libstdc++-2.8.0-12
    libtiff-3.4-4
    libungif-3.0-4
    pythonlib-1.22-1
    svgalib-1.2.13-3
    XFree86-libs-3.3.2-16

I have written the following program:

    #include <stdio.h>

    main()
    {
            printf("Hello world");
    }

(Yeah, I know, pretty original)

I compile with the following command...

    gcc test.c -o test

...and I get the following error message:

    test.c:1: stdio.h: No such file or directory

I have executed...

    find /. -name stdio.h -print

...and sure enough, it's not there. I have scoured the gcc how-to, and
tried to follow the glib how-to, as well as the gnu.org site, but
frankly I'm lost. There's too much detail. I'm not sure whether rpm
installs the binaries, or whether I have to go through the whole compile
/ link process for the libraries or what. I've spent several hours in
bookshops paging through every book I can find on Linux or C++ for some
clues, and searched every news group that seems remotely related to GNU,
but no luck yet.

Can anyone tell me where I can find a simple step by step guide on how
to become operational, or even better tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Terence Kirk

* Re: Newbie needs help setting up GCC and GLIBC
@ 1999-11-09 20:54 ` Paul D. Smith
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Paul D. Smith @ 1999-11-09 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

%% Terence Kirk <tkirk@pipeline.com> writes:

  tk> I compile with the following command...

  tk>     gcc test.c -o test

You generally don't want to name programs on Unix "test".  There's a
/bin/test already on the system _and_ there's a "test" command built
into most shells, and if you forget to run "./test" and just run "test"
you'll likely get the wrong one and be very confused.

This is a classic Unix newbie question "why doesn't my simple "test"
program work?"

I realize you haven't got there yet, I'm just warning you now :)

  tk> I have many years experience working with C/++ in the Wintel world, and
  tk> I'm trying to get my bearings in the Linux universe. I  am running
  tk> RedHat 5.1.

  tk> ...and I get the following error message:

  tk>     test.c:1: stdio.h: No such file or directory

  tk> I have executed...

  tk>     find /. -name stdio.h -print

  tk> ...and sure enough, it's not there. I have scoured the gcc how-to, and
  tk> tried to follow the glib how-to, as well as the gnu.org site, but
  tk> frankly I'm lost. There's too much detail. I'm not sure whether rpm
  tk> installs the binaries, or whether I have to go through the whole compile
  tk> / link process for the libraries or what. I've spent several hours in
  tk> bookshops paging through every book I can find on Linux or C++ for some
  tk> clues, and searched every news group that seems remotely related to GNU,
  tk> but no luck yet.

  tk> Can anyone tell me where I can find a simple step by step guide on how
  tk> to become operational, or even better tell me what I'm doing wrong?

First, you've spent all this time looking in the wrong places.  Sorry
'bout that :(.

The answer to your question has nothing to do with GNU, GCC, or GLIBC
and won't be found on any GNU site or in any GNU book or howto.

The answer to your question will be found at the RedHat site, if
anywhere, because the issue involves how RedHat has chosen to package
the GNU releases of the compiler and library.

Basically, some (most?) distributions have taken to separating out
packages into two parts: the runtime part and the development part.  If
you just want to run programs and never compile any, all you need is the
runtime part.  This includes the shared libraries and binaries, and this
is what you have on your system.

If you want to actually _compile_ programs, you need the development
part.  This includes header files and other config files, as well as man
pages, sometimes static libraries, etc.

You apparently haven't loaded the development RPM for GLIBC.  I can't
help you with the details since I gave up RedHat for Debian almost a
year ago, but you want to look for some kind of "glibc-dev" package or
similar.  Ask on a RedHat newsgroup or mailing list, or on a Linux
newsgroup (lots of RedHat knowledgeable people hang out there), or maybe
check the RedHat site for a FAQ or something if you can't find the
right package.

To hop onto my soapbox, I can't understand why anyone would ship a Unix
dist where the system headers weren't installed by default.  I mean, how
much room do they really take up?  And who won't want to compile some
silly little program at some point?  Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, HTH.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>         Network Management Development

* Re: Newbie needs help setting up GCC and GLIBC
@ 1999-11-09 21:15 ` Arthur Gold
From: Arthur Gold @ 1999-11-09 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

stdio.h should be in /usr/include.
All the _libraries_ you need are present, but for some reason the
include files seem to be missing. I recommend you reinstall the
development stuff.

Terence Kirk wrote:

> I have many years experience working with C/++ in the Wintel world, and
> I'm trying to get my bearings in the Linux universe. I  am running
> RedHat 5.1.
>
> When I do an "rpm -qa | grep gcc", I get the following:
>
>     gcc-2.7.2.3-13
>
> When I do an "rpm -qa | grep lib", I get the following:
>
>     glibc-2.0.7-19
>     libtermcap-2.0.8-9
>     zlib-1.1.2-2
>     cracklib-2.7-2
>     cracklib-dicts-2.7-2
>     glib-1.0.1-3
>     gnome-libs-0.13-10
>     imlib-1.6-1
>     libc-5.3.12-27
>     libg++-2.7.2.8-9
>     libgr-2.0.13-12
>     libgr-progs-2.0.13-12
>     libjpeg-6b-5
>     libpng-1.0.1-3
>     libstdc++-2.8.0-12
>     libtiff-3.4-4
>     libungif-3.0-4
>     pythonlib-1.22-1
>     svgalib-1.2.13-3
>     XFree86-libs-3.3.2-16
>
> I have written the following program:
>
>     #include <stdio.h>
>
>     main()
>     {
>             printf("Hello world");
>     }
>
> (Yeah, I know, pretty original)
>
> I compile with the following command...
>
>     gcc test.c -o test
Do not call executables 'test'--often there's a system program with the
same name.

> ...and I get the following error message:
>
>     test.c:1: stdio.h: No such file or directory
>
> I have executed...
>
>     find /. -name stdio.h -print
>
> ...and sure enough, it's not there. I have scoured the gcc how-to, and
> tried to follow the glib how-to, as well as the gnu.org site, but
> frankly I'm lost. There's too much detail. I'm not sure whether rpm
> installs the binaries, or whether I have to go through the whole compile
> / link process for the libraries or what. I've spent several hours in
> bookshops paging through every book I can find on Linux or C++ for some
> clues, and searched every news group that seems remotely related to GNU,
> but no luck yet.
No. It shouldn't come to that...actually, with the include files
missing, I'm not sure how you've compiled _anything_!
Just make sure the development stuff is installed.
> Can anyone tell me where I can find a simple step by step guide on how
> to become operational, or even better tell me what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Thanks
>
> Terence Kirk

HTH,
--ag
--
Artie Gold, Austin, TX
mailto:agold@bga.com or mailto:agold@cs.utexas.edu

* Re: Newbie needs help setting up GCC and GLIBC
@ 1999-11-10  5:52 ` Michael P DiGioia
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael P DiGioia @ 1999-11-10  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc, psmith

Paul,

>>You apparently haven't loaded the development RPM for GLIBC.  I can't
>>help you with the details since I gave up RedHat for Debian almost a
>>year ago, but you want to look for some kind of "glibc-dev" package or

It looks like you are ahead of me on this and that all the problems with
LINUX can be solved by just dumping it in favor of Debian. I don't know
anything about this flavor of UNIX. I guess that it can run on I386 and
is another UNIX flavor. Having work with just about all the different flavors
of UNIX from the 70's till now, I must say that LINUX has made some very good
advances, but with this, they have made steps backward in some areas.

Please don't understand this to imply that I would believe that Debian is
a panacea for UNIX on PCs.

Is this site www.debian.com?

/mpd

* Re: Newbie needs help setting up GCC and GLIBC
@ 1999-11-10  6:57   ` Paul D. Smith
From: Paul D. Smith @ 1999-11-10  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael P DiGioia; +Cc: help-gcc

%% Michael P DiGioia <mpd@world.std.com> writes:

  >>> You apparently haven't loaded the development RPM for GLIBC.  I can't
  >>> help you with the details since I gave up RedHat for Debian almost a
  >>> year ago, but you want to look for some kind of "glibc-dev" package or

  mpd> It looks like you are ahead of me on this and that all the
  mpd> problems with LINUX can be solved by just dumping it in favor of
  mpd> Debian.

I don't think I said that.  No... no, re-reading my message I'm sure I
didn't say that.

  mpd> I don't know anything about this flavor of UNIX. I guess that it
  mpd> can run on I386 and is another UNIX flavor. Having work with just
  mpd> about all the different flavors of UNIX from the 70's till now, I
  mpd> must say that LINUX has made some very good advances, but with
  mpd> this, they have made steps backward in some areas.

I'm not sure what you mean.  Debian is a different distribution of
Linux, just like RedHat, Slackware, SuSE, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by "with this, they have made steps
backward"--with what?  You mean bundling the system headers separately?
I agree with you it's silly, but it's a decision each distribution makes
for itself, not any kind of reflection on Linux as a whole.  I'm sure
there are people who install Linux on systems where they'd never compile
anything, and don't want the wasted space.

If you don't like the way your Linux distro works, go get another
distribution.  That's what choice is all about! :)

  mpd> Is this site www.debian.com?

No, Debian is a distibution created and maintained by a non-profit
volunteer organization: they were originally closely tied with the FSF
but had a parting of the ways over some policy, but Debian is still the
most closely aligned distribution with the Open Source movement (IMO).
The original version of the current Open Source Guidelines were actually
originated by the Debian group.

Debian is also the only distro which is has a choice of kernel: they are
committed to providing Debian using the FSF's Hurd kernel in addition to
Linux.  Obviously that effort is a long ways behind the Linux effort.

You can find out more at www.debian.org.
                                    ^^^

@ 1999-11-10  8:04   ` Michael P DiGioia
From: Michael P DiGioia @ 1999-11-10  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael P DiGioia, pausmith; +Cc: help-gcc

Paul,

Once again! Thanks for the clarification...

@ 1999-11-10 16:26   ` Terence Kirk
From: Terence Kirk @ 1999-11-10 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Thanks for both tips. I followed your advice and I'm up and running. Next step is
to build and install Oracle 8i... I may be back soon.

Terence

@ 1999-11-30 23:28   ` Arthur Gold
From: Arthur Gold @ 1999-11-30 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Terence Kirk wrote:

> I have many years experience working with C/++ in the Wintel world, and
> I'm trying to get my bearings in the Linux universe. I  am running
> RedHat 5.1.
>
> When I do an "rpm -qa | grep gcc", I get the following:
>
>     gcc-2.7.2.3-13
>
> When I do an "rpm -qa | grep lib", I get the following:
>
>     glibc-2.0.7-19
>     libtermcap-2.0.8-9
>     zlib-1.1.2-2
>     cracklib-2.7-2
>     cracklib-dicts-2.7-2
>     glib-1.0.1-3
>     gnome-libs-0.13-10
>     imlib-1.6-1
>     libc-5.3.12-27
>     libg++-2.7.2.8-9
>     libgr-2.0.13-12
>     libgr-progs-2.0.13-12
>     libjpeg-6b-5
>     libpng-1.0.1-3
>     libstdc++-2.8.0-12
>     libtiff-3.4-4
>     libungif-3.0-4
>     pythonlib-1.22-1
>     svgalib-1.2.13-3
>     XFree86-libs-3.3.2-16
>
> I have written the following program:
>
>     #include <stdio.h>
>
>     main()
>     {
>             printf("Hello world");
>     }
>
> (Yeah, I know, pretty original)
>
> I compile with the following command...
>
>     gcc test.c -o test
Do not call executables 'test'--often there's a system program with the
same name.

> ...and I get the following error message:
>
>     test.c:1: stdio.h: No such file or directory
>
> I have executed...
>
>     find /. -name stdio.h -print
>
> ...and sure enough, it's not there. I have scoured the gcc how-to, and
> tried to follow the glib how-to, as well as the gnu.org site, but
> frankly I'm lost. There's too much detail. I'm not sure whether rpm
> installs the binaries, or whether I have to go through the whole compile
> / link process for the libraries or what. I've spent several hours in
> bookshops paging through every book I can find on Linux or C++ for some
> clues, and searched every news group that seems remotely related to GNU,
> but no luck yet.
No. It shouldn't come to that...actually, with the include files
missing, I'm not sure how you've compiled _anything_!
Just make sure the development stuff is installed.
> Can anyone tell me where I can find a simple step by step guide on how
> to become operational, or even better tell me what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Thanks
>
> Terence Kirk

HTH,
--ag
--

@ 1999-11-30 23:28     ` Terence Kirk
From: Terence Kirk @ 1999-11-30 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-11-30 23:28     ` Michael P DiGioia
From: Michael P DiGioia @ 1999-11-30 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael P DiGioia, pausmith; +Cc: help-gcc

From: Michael P DiGioia @ 1999-11-30 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc, psmith

Paul,

@ 1999-11-30 23:28     ` Paul D. Smith
From: Paul D. Smith @ 1999-11-30 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael P DiGioia; +Cc: help-gcc

@ 1999-11-30 23:28   ` Paul D. Smith
From: Paul D. Smith @ 1999-11-30 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

[...]

                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-11-30 23:28 ` Terence Kirk
From: Terence Kirk @ 1999-11-30 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-11-30 23:28 ` er-chan
From: er-chan @ 1999-11-30 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc; +Cc: tkirk

You have used the command line

       gcc test.c -o  test

I'm a newbie myself but thought it should be

      gcc  -o  test  test.c

I hope this helps one of us.

* Re: Newbie needs help setting up GCC and GLIBC
@ 1999-11-10 22:52 er-chan