* strange compiler error about 'as'
@ 1999-11-15  7:30 thestoneman9072
From: thestoneman9072 @ 1999-11-15  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

I am just getting started with gcc.
I installed a binary distribution of gcc 2.7.2.3

When I try to run gcc on a simple test file like this:
gcc -o conftest conftest.c
I get the follwing error:
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec 'as': No such file or directory

Can anybody tell me what might be up?

Thanks,
Dave

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: strange compiler error about 'as'
@ 1999-11-15 10:01 ` thestoneman9072
From: thestoneman9072 @ 1999-11-15 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

In article < 80p8ir$4ne$1@nnrp1.deja.com >,
  thestoneman9072@my-deja.com wrote:
> I am just getting started with gcc.
> I installed a binary distribution of gcc 2.7.2.3
>
> When I try to run gcc on a simple test file like this:
> gcc -o conftest conftest.c
> I get the follwing error:
> gcc: installation problem, cannot exec 'as': No such file or directory
>
> Can anybody tell me what might be up?

So I figured out gcc is looking for an assembler and can't find it.  So
now my questions are:
   1.) Isn't an assembler installed with Solaris?  If so, is it called
something other than 'as'?  Because there is no file with that name on
my system.
   2.) If Solaris _doesn't_ come with an assembler, then I guess I need
to use the GNU assembler.  This is included in the GNU binutils package
I know... but is there a binary distribution of binutils anywhere?  I
can't build 'as' without an assembler in the first place.

@ 1999-11-15 11:28   ` thestoneman9072
From: thestoneman9072 @ 1999-11-15 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

In article < 80ph65$bqd$1@nnrp1.deja.com >,
  thestoneman9072@my-deja.com wrote:
> In article < 80p8ir$4ne$1@nnrp1.deja.com >,
>   thestoneman9072@my-deja.com wrote:
> > I am just getting started with gcc.
> > I installed a binary distribution of gcc 2.7.2.3
> >
> > When I try to run gcc on a simple test file like this:
> > gcc -o conftest conftest.c
> > I get the follwing error:
> > gcc: installation problem, cannot exec 'as': No such file or
directory

> > Can anybody tell me what might be up?
> >

> So I figured out gcc is looking for an assembler and can't find it.
So
> now my questions are:
>    1.) Isn't an assembler installed with Solaris?  If so, is it called
> something other than 'as'?  Because there is no file with that name on
> my system.
>    2.) If Solaris _doesn't_ come with an assembler, then I guess I
need
> to use the GNU assembler.  This is included in the GNU binutils
package
> I know... but is there a binary distribution of binutils anywhere?  I
> can't build 'as' without an assembler in the first place.

So, I've searched around and it appears as though the 'as' assembler is
bundled with the basic Solaris distribution as part of the 'SUNWsprot'
package...but where is this package?  I can't find it on any of my cd-
roms, and it wasn't installed by default...

Thanks again,

@ 1999-11-30 23:28 ` thestoneman9072

From: thestoneman9072 @ 1999-11-30 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc