* During link: cannot find libgcc.a - Please help me (2)
@ 1999-11-12  9:41 Ulrich-W. Kaestner
From: Ulrich-W. Kaestner @ 1999-11-12  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Can somebody please help me with the following problem ?

I use the gnu compiler egcs 2.91.60

During linking with the following command ...

gcc my.o -bI:$TOFF_SOURCE/MEMPISHR.exp -lbsd

... I get the following error message:

ld: 0706-005 Cannot find or open file: libgcc.a
 ld:open(): A file or directory in the path name
            does not exist.

Several versions of the named file exist in the filesystem ! Do I have
to define some environment variables (additional to the
smit-installation of the compiler) ?

Best regards,
Ulrich

Please excuse this repeated posting - but it is important for me, to fix
this problem. The program, I want to link, should simplify my daily
work.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: During link: cannot find libgcc.a - Please help me (2)
@ 1999-11-12 21:47 ` Gerhard Heinzel
From: Gerhard Heinzel @ 1999-11-12 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Ulrich-W. Kaestner wrote:

> I use the gnu compiler egcs 2.91.60
> During linking with the following command ...
>
> gcc my.o -bI:$TOFF_SOURCE/MEMPISHR.exp -lbsd
>
> ... I get the following error message:
>
> ld: 0706-005 Cannot find or open file: libgcc.a
>  ld:open(): A file or directory in the path name
>             does not exist.
>
> Several versions of the named file exist in the filesystem ! Do I have
> to define some environment variables (additional to the
> smit-installation of the compiler) ?

I had the same problem and it turned out that
"make install" set some permissions wrongly,
i.e. directories and library files were owned by "root"
and not readable for anyone else.
After fixing the permissions it worked fine.

Good Luck,

Gerhard

* Re: During link: cannot find libgcc.a - Please help me (2)
@ 1999-11-15 11:44   ` Ulrich-W. Kaestner
From: Ulrich-W. Kaestner @ 1999-11-15 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

In article < Pine.LNX.3.96.991113073323.4751A-100000@mpqpc63.mpq.mpg.de >,
  Gerhard Heinzel <ghh@mpq.mpg.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Ulrich-W. Kaestner wrote:
>
> > I use the gnu compiler egcs 2.91.60
> > During linking with the following command ...
> >
> > gcc my.o -bI:$TOFF_SOURCE/MEMPISHR.exp -lbsd
> >
> > ... I get the following error message:
> >
> > ld: 0706-005 Cannot find or open file: libgcc.a
> >  ld:open(): A file or directory in the path name
> >             does not exist.
> >
> > Several versions of the named file exist in the filesystem ! Do I
have
> > to define some environment variables (additional to the
> > smit-installation of the compiler) ?
>
> I had the same problem and it turned out that
> "make install" set some permissions wrongly,
> i.e. directories and library files were owned by "root"
> and not readable for anyone else.
> After fixing the permissions it worked fine.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Gerhard

Gerhard,

thanks a lot for your hints !

I checked the file permissions. World has read-access, so there must be
an other problem.

I copied the file /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/.../libgcc.a to /lib.
Now the error message doesn´t appear any longer.

I´ll test tomorrow, if the code works correctly.

Thanks again,
Ulrich

@ 1999-11-30 23:28   ` Gerhard Heinzel
From: Gerhard Heinzel @ 1999-11-30 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)