* Help for Windows functions
@ 1999-11-23  6:22 Amedeo Storni
From: Amedeo Storni @ 1999-11-23  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Hi All,

There are some things I would like to do with a Win32 application:

- Run a program: I can use system(), but I don't want the console window to
appear
- Open a sort of MessageBox with no buttons, that doesn't block my
application but only shows "Doing this....."; of course I would like to be
able to change the text and close it

I understand that I can't go on like that :), so if anyone can suggest where
I can find a comprehensive on-line help for Windows function, even better a
downloadable version....

Thanks In Advance
Amedeo Storni

--
[A special thank to Mumit Khan for an extremely complete and useful answer
to my previous question]

* Re: Help for Windows functions
@ 1999-11-23 14:24 ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-11-23 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

In article < 81e7o7$1o0e3$1@fu-berlin.de >,
Amedeo Storni <astorni@softhome.net> wrote:

>There are some things I would like to do with a Win32 application:

Amedeo,

Time to move move to a windows32 specific forum instead of gnu.gcc.help.

>- Run a program: I can use system(), but I don't want the console window to
>appear

Possibly need to use ShellExecute, CreateProcess, and so on.

>- Open a sort of MessageBox with no buttons, that doesn't block my
>application but only shows "Doing this....."; of course I would like to be
>able to change the text and close it
>
>I understand that I can't go on like that :), so if anyone can suggest where
>I can find a comprehensive on-line help for Windows function, even better a
>downloadable version....

And this is where you need to get a book on windows32 API. There are on
line versions available, and depending on the version/vendor, it can vary
from a few to 13MB! See:

   http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Station/1177/addons.html
   http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32/

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: Help for Windows functions
@ 1999-11-29  9:24   ` Soren Andersen
From: Soren Andersen @ 1999-11-29  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Mumit Khan <khan@xraylith.wisc.edu> wrote in < 81f3f0$jv6$1@news.doit.wisc.edu >:

>In article < 81e7o7$1o0e3$1@fu-berlin.de >,
>Amedeo Storni <astorni@softhome.net> wrote:
>>
>>There are some things I would like to do with a Win32 application:
>
>Amedeo,
>
>Time to move move to a windows32 specific forum instead of gnu.gcc.help.
>
>>- Run a program: I can use system(), but I don't want the console window to
>>appear
>
>Possibly need to use ShellExecute, CreateProcess, and so on.
>
>>- Open a sort of MessageBox with no buttons, that doesn't block my
>>application but only shows "Doing this....."; of course I would like to be
>>able to change the text and close it
>>
>>I understand that I can't go on like that :), so if anyone can suggest where
>>I can find a comprehensive on-line help for Windows function, even better a
>>downloadable version....
>
>And this is where you need to get a book on windows32 API. There are on
>line versions available, and depending on the version/vendor, it can vary
>from a few to 13MB! See:
>
>   http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Station/1177/addons.html
>   http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32/

   And, Amedeo, the Win32 API doc linke dto at the lcc URL above is an amazing
resource to have. If you balked at the mention of the huge download, don't: go
get it.

   soren andersen

--
http://www.geocities.com/~sorentino/   <\-@ a.b.p.gardens