* question about RTL
@ 1999-10-16 10:15 Anja Müller
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Anja Müller @ 1999-10-16 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc, gnu

Hello Ladies and Gentleman,

We're Thomas and Anja. We're from Germany and we study informatics in
Berlin. We have some very important questions about the GCC. In this
semester we've got a very difficult task: we shall analyse the different
compiler passes of the GCC, especially wether there is a defined
interface between the parsing (syntax and semantic check) and the code
generator. If there is a defined interface, we shall use it as a basis
to implement own codegenerators, for instance for the 8051
microprocessor. So to explain it in another way: we shall try to program
another backend for the gcc, if it is possible.
We have already realized that the GCC uses a special language to be
independant from different machines: the so-called RTL - Register
Transfer Language. Our Question to you is:
Do you think that it is possible to use the RTL-Code to solve our
problem ? Therefore it is necessary that the RTL-Code, that is written
to the different Dump Files, is completely independent from the machine
type and especially from the succeeding passes of the GCC. Referring to
the documentation "Using and porting the GCC" (Chapter 15.18 Reading
RTL) it is an not feasible idea to use RTL as an interface for an
language frontend. But is it possible to use it as an interface for an
backend ?  At the beginning of the chapter is written, that during the
compilation of a program there is an internal and an textual form of the
RTL-Code: the internal form is a structure where the single RTL objects
are connected by pointers. The textual form is used by the machine
descriptions and is also written to the debuggings dumps.
Are the textual and the internal form completely independant from each
other ? Then is should be possible to interprete the debugging dump
files seperately for other target machines.

We've also read in this document that it is possible to expand the GCC
for new machine types by the machine description files. But we think,
that this way is to dfficult for us.

We hope to hear from you soon, because until now we don't know how to go
on solving our task. And we don't want to write a completely new
compiler for c.

We're looking o hear from you.

Kind Regards
Anja Müller, Thomas Schützkowski

* Re: question about RTL
@ 1999-10-16 14:35 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-10-16 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anja M ller; +Cc: help-gcc, gnu

  In message < 3808B417.243EE45D@t-online.de >you write:
  > microprocessor. So to explain it in another way: we shall try to program
  > another backend for the gcc, if it is possible.
It's certainly possible.  GCC supports at least two dozen different
architectures.

  > Transfer Language. Our Question to you is:
  > Do you think that it is possible to use the RTL-Code to solve our
  > problem ?
Yes.

  > We've also read in this document that it is possible to expand the GCC
  > for new machine types by the machine description files. But we think,
  > that this way is to dfficult for us.
This is by far the easiest way to add a new port to gcc; write a backend
machine description.

jeff

* Re: question about RTL
@ 1999-10-31 13:57   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-10-31 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anja M ller; +Cc: help-gcc, gnu

  In message < 3808B417.243EE45D@t-online.de >you write:
  > microprocessor. So to explain it in another way: we shall try to program
  > another backend for the gcc, if it is possible.
It's certainly possible.  GCC supports at least two dozen different
architectures.

  > Transfer Language. Our Question to you is:
  > Do you think that it is possible to use the RTL-Code to solve our
  > problem ?
Yes.

@ 1999-10-31 13:57 ` Anja Müller
From: Anja Müller @ 1999-10-31 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc, gnu

[...]

* problem: install gcc as cross compiler
@ 1999-11-06 11:03 ` Anja Müller
From: Anja Müller @ 1999-11-06 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc, gnu

Hello, my name is Anja Müller. I have a problem when installing gcc as a
cross compiler and need your help. I want to install the gcc as cross
compiler for a sparc architecture, but it doesn't function. I read the file
INSTALL from the gcc source package and did the particular steps in the
right order. Executing "configure ..." and "make LANGUAGES=c" succeeded
without errors, but "make
stage1" was aborted, because lot of files couldn't be found. To give you an
overview I want to list the single steps before and during the installation:

At first I was buildung the binutils package for a sparc architecture:

 configure --prefix=/usr/local --exec-prefix=/usr/local
           --target=sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1
 make
 make install

The directory /usr/local/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1 was generated and in
/usr/local/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1/bin the programs ar,as, ld, nm, ranlib,
strip are located now. Furthermore there are adequate prgrams in
/usr/local/bin :

 sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1-addr2line
 sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1-ar
 sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1-as
 sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1-c++filt
 sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1-gasp
 sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1-ld
 sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1-nm
 sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1-objcopy
 sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1-objdump
 sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1-ranlib
   sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1-size
   sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1-strings
   sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1-strip

To provide special libaries for sparc I had downloaded the two packages
glibc-2.1.1.16.sparc.rpm and glibc-devel-2.1.1.16.sparc.rpm. I unpacked them
with:

  rpm2cpio glibc-2.1.1.16.sparc.rpm &&& cpio --extract --make-directories
  rpm2cpio glibc-devel-2.1.1.16.sparc.rpm &&& cpio --extract
--make-directories

Then I changed in the new directory and copied the include files and the
libaries to the sparc directory :

  cp -R usr/include /usr/local/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1
  cp -R /usr/src/linux/include/linux
        /usr/local/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1/include/linux
  cp -R /usr/src/linux/include/asm-sparc
        /usr/local/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1/include/asm
  cp -R lib/* /usr/local/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1/lib
  mkdir /usr/local/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1/usr
  cp -R usr/lib /usr/local/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1/usr

After that I opened the shared libary libc.so in
/usr/local/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1/usr/lib/ to modify the path:

  GROUP ( /usr/local/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1/lib/libc.so.6
          /usr/local/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1/usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a )

Cause of troubles during the first installation step "make LANGUAGES=c"
where the whole target machine directory was expected to be in /usr and not
in /usr/local, I created a symbolic link in /usr :

  ln -s /usr/local/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1 sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1

Then I started the installation of gcc as cross compiler:

  configure --target=sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1 -> successful
  make LANGUAGES=c    -> successful

Now there was this question about the libgcc1.a library: I don't have a
sparc machine here, so I couldn't compile the libgcc1.c there. And I have
not another cross compiler for sparc on my system. So where can I get this
file compiled for sparc ? In the gcc source directory I went to the
subdirectory config/sparc where I found the file lb1spc.asm which is an
assembler version of the libgcc1.c especially for sparc. So I thought I can
compiler this file with my sparc cross assembler that I had from the
binutils package. Do you
think this is the problem ?

  /usr/local/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1/bin/as lb1spc.asm -o lb1spc.o
  /usr/local/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1/bin/ar qsv libgcc1.a lb1spc.o

I copied this file (libgcc1.a) to the gcc build directory (source directory)
and went on with the next installation command "make stage1":

  make stage1

Unfortunately this stopped with a lot of errors. I copied them:
errors when making stage1:

:~/gcc-2.7.2.3 >make stage1
if [ -d stage1 ] ; then true ; else mkdir stage1 ; fi
for dir in . cp ; \
 do \
   if [ -d stage1/$dir ] ; then true ; else mkdir stage1/$dir ; fi ; \
 done
mv *.o insn-flags.h insn-config.h insn-codes.h insn-output.c insn-recog.c
insn-e
mit.c insn-extract.c insn-peep.c insn-attr.h insn-attrtab.c insn-opinit.c
stamp-
flags stamp-config stamp-codes stamp-output stamp-recog stamp-emit
stamp-extract
 stamp-peep stamp-attr stamp-attrtab stamp-opinit stamp-proto stamp-crt
stamp-cr
tS genemit genoutput genrecog genextract genflags gencodes genconfig genpeep
gen
attrtab genattr genopinit bc-arity.h bc-opcode.h bc-opname.h stamp-bcarity
stamp
-bcopcode stamp-bcopname bi-arity bi-opcode bi-opname xgcc cc1 cpp
gcc-cross
cccp cc1obj enquire protoize unprotoize specs collect2  underscore.c *.greg
*.lr
eg *.combine *.flow *.cse *.jump *.rtl *.tree *.loop *.dbr *.jump2 *.sched
*.cse
2 *.sched2 *.stack *.[si] g++ g++-cross cc1plus stage1
mv: *.o: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: insn-flags.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: insn-config.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: insn-codes.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: insn-output.c: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: insn-recog.c: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: insn-emit.c: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: insn-extract.c: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: insn-peep.c: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: insn-attr.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: insn-attrtab.c: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: insn-opinit.c: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: stamp-flags: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: stamp-config: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: stamp-codes: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: stamp-output: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: stamp-recog: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: stamp-emit: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: stamp-extract: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: stamp-peep: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: stamp-attr: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: stamp-attrtab: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: stamp-opinit: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: stamp-proto: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: stamp-crt: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: stamp-crtS: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: genemit: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: genoutput: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: genrecog: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: genextract: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: genflags: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: gencodes: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: genconfig: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: genpeep: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: genattrtab: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: genattr: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: genopinit: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: bc-arity.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: bc-opcode.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: bc-opname.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: stamp-bcarity: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: stamp-bcopcode: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: stamp-bcopname: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: bi-arity: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: bi-opcode: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: bi-opname: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: xgcc: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: cc1: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: cpp: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: gcc-cross: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: cccp: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: cc1obj: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: enquire: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: protoize: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: unprotoize: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: specs: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: collect2: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: underscore.c: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: *.greg: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: *.lreg: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: *.combine: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: *.flow: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: *.cse: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: *.jump: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: *.rtl: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: *.tree: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: *.loop: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: *.dbr: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: *.jump2: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: *.sched: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: *.cse2: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: *.sched2: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: *.stack: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: *.[si]: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: g++: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: g++-cross: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mv: cc1plus: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
make: [stage1-start] Error 1 (ignored)
if [ -f as ] ; then ln -s ../as stage1 || cp as stage1 ; else true ; fi
ln: stage1/as: File exists
cp: `as' and `stage1/as' are the same file
make: [stage1-start] Error 1 (ignored)
if [ -f ld ] ; then ln -s ../ld stage1 || cp ld stage1 ; else true ; fi
if [ -f collect-ld ] ; then ln -s ../collect-ld stage1 || cp collect-ld
stage1 ;
 else true ; fi
rm -f stage1/libgcc.a
cp libgcc.a stage1
if [ -f /usr/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1/bin/ranlib ] ; then
/usr/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1/
bin/ranlib stage1/libgcc.a; else true; fi
mv cp/*.o stage1/cp
mv: cp/*.o: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
make: [c++.stage1] Error 1 (ignored)
:~/gcc-2.7.2.3 >

It seems that there are a lot of files missing. Do you know what I have made

wrong ? Please help me !

Thank you,
Anja

* problem: install gcc as cross compiler
@ 1999-11-30 23:28   ` Anja Müller
From: Anja Müller @ 1999-11-30 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc, gnu

@ 1999-11-30 23:28 ` Anja Müller