* what is -rdynamic supposed to do?
@ 1999-12-06  3:38 Enrico Spinielli
From: Enrico Spinielli @ 1999-12-06  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Hi,
compiling some software downloaded from Internet I found that
the configuration for gcc came with a "-rdynamic" option.
I am using gcc version 2.95 but it does not have it.

Can someone help me?
--
Enrico Spinielli                                  Lucent Technologies
 voice: +353-1-204.2050                                   Corke Abbey

* Re: what is -rdynamic supposed to do?
@ 1999-12-06  6:55 ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-12-06  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

In article < xtxn1romhpf.fsf@lucent.com >,
Enrico Spinielli  <espinielli@lucent.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>compiling some software downloaded from Internet I found that
>the configuration for gcc came with a "-rdynamic" option.
>I am using gcc version 2.95 but it does not have it.

What platform? On Linux/ELF for example, it is passed as --export-dynamic
to GNU ld. From the GNU linker docs:

`-E'
`--export-dynamic'
     When creating a dynamically linked executable, add all symbols to
     the dynamic symbol table.  The dynamic symbol table is the set of
     symbols which are visible from dynamic objects at run time.

     If you do not use this option, the dynamic symbol table will
     normally contain only those symbols which are referenced by some
     dynamic object mentioned in the link.

     If you use `dlopen' to load a dynamic object which needs to refer
     back to the symbols defined by the program, rather than some other
     dynamic object, then you will probably need to use this option when
     linking the program itself.

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: what is -rdynamic supposed to do?