* RE: Problems installing gcc
@ 2002-01-18  6:37 Gillespie, Richard
From: Gillespie, Richard @ 2002-01-18  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Rupert Wood', 'Kamyar Mehrnia'; +Cc: gcc-help

Rupert

   Would you please help?  I have downloaded the 3.0.3 package from
sunfreeware.  I have used pgkadd to install the distribution.  I now have a
/usr/local directory with 7 subdirectories.
I am having trouble understanding the GNU installation instructions, I
cannot find the "configure" file anywhere in the distribution.  How do I
configure this package?

   GNU also recommends using their make utility, but it also must be
compiled so what comes first, the "chicken or the egg"?

thanks
Rich G

From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2016-04-15 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hassan Haddouchi; +Cc: gcc-help

On 15 April 2016 at 17:26, Hassan Haddouchi wrote:
> Dear,
>
> I'm new to the C world and I was looking for the GCC compiler. So far I downloaded the .tar.gz from the website and unpacked it, but how can I install the compiler in order to be able to compile C code?

See https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC for the simple
instructions, with links to the full documentation.

* Problems installing GCC
@ 2016-04-15 16:27 Hassan Haddouchi
From: Hassan Haddouchi @ 2016-04-15 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Dear,

I'm new to the C world and I was looking for the GCC compiler. So far I downloaded the .tar.gz from the website and unpacked it, but how can I install the compiler in order to be able to compile C code?

Kind regards,
Haddouchi
Student Computer Science

* RE: Problems installing gcc
       [not found] <616BE6A276E3714788D2AC35C40CD18D30F991@whale.softwire.co.uk>
@ 2002-01-18  6:56 ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2002-01-18  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Gillespie, Richard'; +Cc: gcc-help

Richard Gillespie wrote:

> I have downloaded the 3.0.3 package from sunfreeware.  I have used
> pgkadd to install the distribution.   I now have a /usr/local
> directory with 7 subdirectories. I am having trouble understanding
> the GNU installation instructions, I cannot find the "configure"
> file anywhere in the distribution.  How do I configure this package?

You don't; sunfreeware produce binary distributions. A binary
distribution will already have been configured and installed. Unless you
want to change configuration options or install path then you can use it
as-is, otherwise you'll have to download a source distribution of GCC
and configure, bootstrap and install.

You just need to add the main directories to the relevant path
environments, i.e.

    /usr/local/bin      to     PATH
    /usr/local/lib      to     LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    /usr/local/man      to     MAN_PATH

etc. and you should be ready to go.

> GNU also recommends using their make utility, but it also must be
> compiled so what comes first, the "chicken or the egg"?

You need an existing compiler to build either; both the GCC and gmake
source distributions are designed to be compiled with virually any
compiler. Hence you can build gmake without GCC.

Rup.

* RE: Problems installing gcc
       [not found] <616BE6A276E3714788D2AC35C40CD18D30F987@whale.softwire.co.uk>
@ 2002-01-18  6:24 ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2002-01-18  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Kamyar Mehrnia'; +Cc: gcc-help

Kamyar Mehrnia wrote:

> After I have unzipped and untared the package I run configure and I
> get an error as the following:
> *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

You've downloaded a source distribution of GCC; you need an existing
compiler to build it and you don't have one.

Get a binary GCC from http://www.sunfreeware.com/

Rup.

* Problems installing gcc
@ 2002-01-18  6:21 Kamyar Mehrnia
From: Kamyar Mehrnia @ 2002-01-18  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Hi,

I am trying to install gcc 3.0 on a solaris sun sparc 2.5 and I have the
following problem.  After I have unzipped and untared the package I run
configure and I get an error as the following: *** You must set the environment
variable CC to a working compiler.  I am new to the Unix environment and have
trouble with what I have to do exactly.  I would appreciate any DETAILED
instructions that you can give me.....Thanks In Advance

K.M

* Re: Problems installing gcc
@ 2001-03-09 12:40 tprinceusa
From: tprinceusa @ 2001-03-09 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgrab; +Cc: gcc-help

cgrab@minstrel.com wrote:
> Hi,

I'm not certain if this is the appropriate place to ask for help installing
gcc.  If not, can you direct me to the appropriate folks.

Close; gcc-help is better.

I'm attempting to install gcc 2.95.2 (downloaded from ftp.gnu.org, build date
10/25/99) onto an HP box running HP-UX 10.2.  The configure process runs
successfully (as far as I can tell), but the install dies after about an hour
or so when it attempts to do something with bison.  Below are the last 40
or so lines of output from the make process.

I also attempted to download and install bison separately.  No luck there
either.  Again, configure went fine and make died part way through.

The HPUX build process is pretty complex, and there are several ways to go about it.

1.  The official page on installing HPUX assumes you have the HPUX C development system installed.

2.  gcc does what it can to enable you to bootstrap from just the default tools included with HPUX, but doesn't document the process fully.

3.  there are pre-built binary versions, which probably require super-user to install, which you could use to bootstrap the source version of your choice.

It's been a long time since I had such a box, but the #2 drill as I remember it:

build gnu make from source, using the HPUX tools.  Install it separately from HPUX make, possibly renaming it gmake, for example.  Use gmake from now on.

build a temporary version of gcc, without bootstrapping. Use it to build bison, flex, and binutils.  Figure out the scheme for installing binutils.  Basically, build and install it in the same installation tree you will be using for gcc.

 One reason you need flex and bison is that gcc configure thinks that the presence of libl means that lex is present; you might get by without them at this stage if you removed libl from view. Another reason has to do with date stamps on files which may not really need to be rebuilt. configure prefers flex if it is available, so installing bison and flex avoids trouble with the partial installation of lex in HPUX.

with gmake, binutils, bison, and flex available, you should be able to bootstrap and install gcc-2.95.2 with all the languages you desire.
In theory, you can put all these into one build tree and have them build automatically in the proper sequence.  That's the reason for not having more detailed instructions.

If you run into builds which require the gnu macro processor, as you will, you must install that and set environment variables peculiar to each package which point to your new installation, as the HPUX version is broken from the gnu point of view.

In order to test your gcc build, you will need to get one of the dejagnu sources intended specifically for this purpose.  If you include it in your gcc build tree, it will build automatically, but I doubt you will want to rebuild it once it's working.

You will need the gnu versions of patch, autoconf, maybe automake and perl in the long run; where there are HPUX versions, they won't work for gnu builds, even where they are derived from long ago gnu versions (which seemingly invokes GPL requirements which HP seems to ignore).

I wonder whether it's worth keeping these oldsters functional when they require so much more effort than a basic linux box which can out-perform them.