* gcc 2.95.2 / binutils 2.9.5.0.42 / shared libraries problem
@ 2000-06-01 23:35 Dragos Harabor
From: Dragos Harabor @ 2000-06-01 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, gcc-bugs

Hello All,

I would appreciate if anybody has any suggestions for the following
problem. Please reply to me directly as I am not on the mailing lists yet.

Platform: Solaris 2.6 (latest patches)
gcc: 2.95.2
ld & as: 2.9.5.0.42 (from binutils 2.9.5.0.42)

I tried upgrading to gcc 2.95.2 and I compiled it using the ld and as
specified above. The compilation went fine. The problem is that whatever
shared objects gcc generates when I try to compile other packages they
seem to be corrupted, e.g. I tried Apache 1.3.12, the compile went fine
but I get the following error when trying to run it:

> Syntax error on line 207 of /home/dharabor/tmp/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
> Cannot load /home/dharabor/tmp/apache/libexec/mod_env.so into
> server: ld.so.1: /home/dharabor/tmp/apache/bin/httpd: fatal: relocation
> error: file /home/dharabor/tmp/apache/libexec/mod_env.so: symbol
> ap_palloc: referenced symbol not found
> ./apachectl start: httpd could not be started

Here are more facts:

* I tried binutils-2.9.5.0.42 with a 2.95.2 version of gcc that was built
on a different system by somebody else. It looks like ld works fine in
building the Apache shared libraries as I was able to run that version.

* I am trying to build gcc for an NFS server, so it is not an option to
get a precompiled package due to paths problems (is there a way to fix the
paths?)

* Please see the attached files for the options that I compiled the
packages with.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dragos

* Re: gcc 2.95.2 / binutils 2.9.5.0.42 / shared libraries problem
@ 2000-06-02  1:03 ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 2000-06-02  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dharabor; +Cc: gcc-help, gcc-bugs

> I would appreciate if anybody has any suggestions for the following
> problem.

This looks like a linker problem, not a compiler problem - the
compiler is not responsible for putting relocations into shared
objects. Try a different linker, report the problem to the authors of
the linker you use, or try to understand the error in the shared
object in more detail, using tools such as objdump or readelf.

Regards,
Martin