* RE: How to configure gcc when there is no c compiler on the system?
@ 2000-09-07  9:18 robert.lopez
From: robert.lopez @ 2000-09-07  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill_Forbes, gcc-help

> I am attempting to install gcc 2.95.2 on Solaris 7. The system I'm
> installing on has no cc or gcc installed on it. The configure script seems
> to terminate if it can't find a cc or gcc. What am I missing here? How does
> one configure and install gcc on a system that has no pre-existing c
> compiler?

I would add to the good answers from others that you
want to get a binary gcc to use to complie your own
gcc. The binary you get may give you grief for many
applications in the future. Especially any shared
lib/dynamic linking.

Be certain that when you build your own gcc that you do
not configure and make, but that you configure and make
bootstrap. Failure to do this right the first time
seems to give many problems.

Another great source of binaries for you platform is to
purchase a binary CD distribution from the FSF.

Sun User's Group CDs have had gcc binaries. SunSoft
Catalyst CDWARE have had gcc. But, what ever you get,
do use it to bootstrap your own gcc.

Lastly, the obvious, RTFM before you configure and
make; especially for building on
Solaris.

* Re: How to configure gcc when there is no c compiler on the system?
@ 2000-09-06 14:27 ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2000-09-06 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill_Forbes; +Cc: gcc-help

Bill_Forbes@URSCorp.com writes:

> I am attempting to install gcc 2.95.2 on Solaris 7. The system I'm
> installing on has no cc or gcc installed on it. The configure script seems
> to terminate if it can't find a cc or gcc. What am I missing here? How does
> one configure and install gcc on a system that has no pre-existing c
> compiler?

The gcc team does not distribute precompiled binaries of gcc. However,
  see www.sunfreeware.com, or gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html

* Re: How to configure gcc when there is no c compiler on the system?
@ 2000-09-06 14:07 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-09-06 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill_Forbes; +Cc: gcc-help

On Sep  6, 2000, Bill_Forbes@URSCorp.com wrote:

> I am attempting to install gcc 2.95.2 on Solaris 7.

Download a pre-compiled GCC.  Check http://gcc.gnu.org .

* How to configure gcc when there is no c compiler on the system?
@ 2000-09-06 13:57 Bill_Forbes
From: Bill_Forbes @ 2000-09-06 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I am attempting to install gcc 2.95.2 on Solaris 7. The system I'm
installing on has no cc or gcc installed on it. The configure script seems
to terminate if it can't find a cc or gcc. What am I missing here? How does
one configure and install gcc on a system that has no pre-existing c
compiler?

Bill Forbes
Senior Engineer

URS Corporation
PO Box 201088, Austin, TX 78720-1088
512-419-5108 (voice)  512-454-8807 (fax)
Bill_Forbes@URSCorp.com