* Re: GCC 3.0.2 binaries
@ 2001-11-20  7:23 Robert Lopez
From: Robert Lopez @ 2001-11-20  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, kabir.patel; +Cc: me

> From: kabir.patel@uk.andersen.com
> Could somebody tell me *exactly* where the binary files for GCC 3.0.2 are?
> I followed the binaries link on www.sunfreeware.com, navigated to Solaris 8
> and then downloaded gcc-3.0.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz. This turned out to be
> some java stuff (I want C).
>
> Please can somebody help

Java? really?
Should have been a gzipped package. If it was java you may have a browser
configuration problem.  That site has complete instructions on how to
download and install the package.  Depending upon how you have set up
your browser to handle .gz files you may or may not need to gunzip it.
The unzipped file needs to be in a temporary location. Then you need to
do something like "pkgadd -d" to install it.  Read the instructions for
exact details.

Robert.Lopez@Philips.com

* Re: GCC 3.0.2 binaries
@ 2001-11-27  9:27 ` Robert Lopez
From: Robert Lopez @ 2001-11-27  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, kabir.patel; +Cc: me

> From: kabir.patel@uk.andersen.com
> Could somebody tell me *exactly* where the binary files for GCC 3.0.2 are?
> I followed the binaries link on www.sunfreeware.com, navigated to Solaris 8
> and then downloaded gcc-3.0.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz. This turned out to be
> some java stuff (I want C).
>
> Please can somebody help

Java? really?
Should have been a gzipped package. If it was java you may have a browser
configuration problem.  That site has complete instructions on how to
download and install the package.  Depending upon how you have set up
your browser to handle .gz files you may or may not need to gunzip it.
The unzipped file needs to be in a temporary location. Then you need to
do something like "pkgadd -d" to install it.  Read the instructions for
exact details.

Robert.Lopez@Philips.com

* GCC 3.0.2 binaries
@ 2001-11-30  2:01 ` kabir.patel
From: kabir.patel @ 2001-11-30  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: me; +Cc: gcc-help

I was making a mistake with my ftp (I was using ASCII mode ....)

The way I get the file now, is by saving it onto my NT machine and then ftp'ing
it onto

the Solaris machine. I can gzip fine, and also unzip the files. Is this ok?

I only see *.class files. What am I meant to run to get the C compiler working

after having unzipped the files? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kabir

Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message.  If you
the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent
to Internet email for messages of this kind.  Opinions, conclusions and other
information in this message that do not relate to the official business of my
firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

* RE: GCC 3.0.2 binaries
@ 2001-11-29  9:26   ` Claudio Bley
From: Claudio Bley @ 2001-11-29  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kabir.patel; +Cc: me, gcc-help

    kabir> I downloaded "gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local.gz" instead, and
    kabir> tried running gzip -d on it.  I go the following mesage:

    kabir> "gzip: gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local.gz: invalid compressed
    kabir> data--format violated"

    kabir> Is this a bad copy of gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local.gz? I got
    kabir> it from www.sunfreeware.com

Get the MD5 checksums from the same location and check your file. Did
you read the download/installation instructions at
www.sunfreeware.com? If not don't hesitate to read it NOW.

    kabir> Thanks

    kabir> Kabir

Claudio

    kabir> To: Kabir Patel cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org Date: 29/11/2001
    kabir> 12:40 From: me@rupey.net Subject: RE: GCC 3.0.2 binaries

    kabir> Kabir Patel wrote:

    >> I downloaded gcc-3.0.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz again, provided
    >> enough space, and ran gzip -d on it. The following error
    >> message cam back "gzip: gcc-3.0.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz: invalid
    >> compressed data--crc error"
    >>
    >> Could somebody tell me what this means? and how to rectify it?

    kabir> gzip stores a checksum for the compressed data ('crc' is
    kabir> 'cyclic redundancy check') and the value it has is
    kabir> wrong. Again, this means you have a bad copy of the
    kabir> compressed package.

    kabir> May I check that you downloaded the file in binary mode and
    kabir> not ASCII mode? If you're using command-line FTP then it
    kabir> probably defaulted to binary mode but to be sure you might
    kabir> want to type 'binary' before you 'get'.

    kabir> I know that's a long shot, but I at least don't have any
    kabir> other ideas.

    kabir> Rup.

* RE: GCC 3.0.2 binaries
@ 2001-11-29  6:29 ` kabir.patel
From: kabir.patel @ 2001-11-29  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: me; +Cc: gcc-help

I downloaded "gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local.gz" instead, and tried running gzip -d
on it.
I go the following mesage:

"gzip: gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local.gz: invalid compressed data--format violated"

Is this a bad copy of gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local.gz? I got it from
www.sunfreeware.com

Thanks

Kabir

To:   Kabir Patel
cc:   gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 29/11/2001 12:40
From: me@rupey.net
Subject:  RE: GCC 3.0.2 binaries

Kabir Patel wrote:

> I downloaded gcc-3.0.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz again, provided enough
> space, and ran gzip -d on it. The following error message cam back
> "gzip: gcc-3.0.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz: invalid compressed data--crc
> error"
>
> Could somebody tell me what this means? and how to rectify it?

gzip stores a checksum for the compressed data ('crc' is 'cyclic
redundancy check') and the value it has is wrong. Again, this means you
have a bad copy of the compressed package.

May I check that you downloaded the file in binary mode and not ASCII
mode? If you're using command-line FTP then it probably defaulted to
binary mode but to be sure you might want to type 'binary' before you
'get'.

I know that's a long shot, but I at least don't have any other ideas.

Rup.

@ 2001-11-29  4:41   ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2001-11-29  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kabir.patel; +Cc: gcc-help

@ 2001-11-29  4:31 ` kabir.patel
From: kabir.patel @ 2001-11-29  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: me; +Cc: gcc-help

To:   Kabir Patel
cc:   gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 28/11/2001 16:06
From: me@rupey.net

Kabir Patel wrote:

> I moved the file to another device and when I run gzip -d on it, it
> comes back with an ' unexpected end of file ' message. What does
> this mean, and how can it be resolved?

Pretty much how it sounds - gzip expected more data but there wasn't
any.

Having a quick look on ftp.sunfreeware.com, the file size is supposed to
be 23,815,367 (uncompressed: 83,127,808). It looks like you don't have a
complete copy of the file and will have to redownload or attempt to
resume-download on the current file. I don't know how to resume
downloads with Solaris ftp.

What you have is a compressed Sun package file; it has to be installed
using Sun's 'pkgadd' command on the target Solaris machine. (I said
before that Sun packages were just .tars, but I was wrong - HP packages
are .tars but Sun packages are their own format.) You can use your
Windows machine to ungzip the package file but you can't extract any
more than that from Windows.

Rup.

@ 2001-11-28  8:09   ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2001-11-28  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kabir.patel; +Cc: gcc-help

@ 2001-11-28  7:51 ` kabir.patel
From: kabir.patel @ 2001-11-28  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: me; +Cc: gcc-help, robert.lopez

---------------------- Forwarded by Kabir Patel on 28/11/2001 15:48
---------------------------

To:   me@rupey.net
cc:   gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org, robert.lopez@abq.sc.philips.com
Date: 28/11/2001 15:41
From: Kabir Patel, London

>>However, you probably have already got an uncompressed copy (as Robert
>>suggests) - when you tried unzipping the file, it found a Java
>>(runtime?) .jar file embedded in the package (which is really a .tar
>>file) and uncompressed that instead. If your package was gzip
>>compressed, I think unzip would have failed.

What I intended to do, was unzip the file on my NT machine and then copy over
the
unzipped files onto the Solaris machine. Is this wrong?

I have since been trying to gzip the file, but keep on getting a "No space left
on device"
message. The size of the zippped file is 16351232 (when I do an ls -l). When I
run
df -k I have only  31053KB space availible on the device.
Is there a way for me to determine how much space is needed to run the gzip
command?

@ 2001-11-28  7:43 ` kabir.patel
From: kabir.patel @ 2001-11-28  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: me; +Cc: gcc-help, robert.lopez

@ 2001-11-28  3:18   ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2001-11-28  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kabir.patel; +Cc: gcc-help, robert.lopez

Kabir Patel wrote:

> >>Then use the "file" command to see if it is compressed or not.
> >>I once had a netscape which removed the ".gz" but left the
> >>file still compressed so I had to add the ".gz" back onto it.
> How did you uncompress? I have tried uncompress, unzip and tar
> and all have failed. The name of the file is
> "gcc-3.0.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz."

Using gzip, e.g.:

    gzip -d gcc-3.0.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz

You can usually pipe this into something, e.g. tar, but I don't know if
you can do this with Sun's package system.

@ 2001-11-28  2:56 ` kabir.patel
From: kabir.patel @ 2001-11-28  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: robert.lopez; +Cc: gcc-help, me

@ 2001-11-27  9:51 ` Robert Lopez
From: Robert Lopez @ 2001-11-27  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: robert.lopez, kabir.patel; +Cc: gcc-help, me

> From: kabir.patel@uk.andersen.com
> I unzipped it and it came out to be a whole load of *.class files with a
> few exceptions. It had a java folder aswell (I didn't see one *.c file).
> Doesn't seem right to me...........

I am not where I can use a we browser at the moment and I do not have
access to a package file from that site. I am going from memory at the
moment.  I do not remember what you get after uncompressing.

You did say you wanted the binary correct?  Why are you looking for
any C file?

To check to see if this one file has a problem, go back to the freeware
site and download another different file.
Then use the "file" command to see if it is compressed or not.
I once had a netscape which removed the ".gz" but left the file still
compressed so I had to add the ".gz" back onto it.

Then I could uncompress it.  After that I think I got a directory and I
just used the pkgadd -d ...

I should be very simple.

Robert.Lopez@Philips.com

* Re: GCC 3.0.2 binaries