* Should this compile and link??
@ 2002-01-16 12:34 Bill Priest
From: Bill Priest @ 2002-01-16 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

#ifndef C4E3_H
#define C4E3_H

typedef struct // TEST_TYPE
{
	void f1(void);
} TEST_TYPE;

#endif
--------------------

w/ stock g++ 3.0.3 the following commands

g++    -c -o c4e3.o c4e3.cc
g++    -c -o c4e3_func.o c4e3_func.cc
g++ c4e3.o c4e3_func.o -o c4e3
c4e3.o: In function `main':
c4e3.o(.text+0x11): undefined reference to `TEST_TYPE::f1()'

If I uncomment TEST_TYPE in c4e3 everything compiles and links
as it should.

If I change c4e3.cc to include "c4e3_func.cc" and change the command to
g++ -o c4e3 c4e3.cc
then it compiles and links even if the c4e3.h file is unchanged (ie TEST_TYPE is commented out).

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me; but I'm not a C++ expert or even novice.
Neither of my books (Thinking in C++ and C++ for C programmers) seems to cover this explicitly.

Is there something I'm missing here.  Scoping or namespace resolution was the only thing I could
come up with but didn't see anything in either of the books.

Please set me straight,

Bill

* Re: Should this compile and link??
@ 2002-01-16 14:28 ` Ross Boylan
From: Ross Boylan @ 2002-01-16 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Priest; +Cc: gcc-help, Ross Boylan

In your example, you have created an anonymous structure, and then
created a typedef for it.

Since it is anonymous, there is no way to refer to it, and thus your
definition of f1 doesn't get associated properly. I'm a little
suprised the compiler doesn't give you an error in c4e3_func.cc when
you refer to the class or structure TEST_TYPE.

Consider this to clarify things:

struct SILLY {
	void f1(void);
};
typedef SILLY TEST_TYPE;

If you want to define f1, you must say
SILLY::f1
not TEST_TYPE::f1.

However, in your example there is no name SILLY, so no way to refer to
the function.

Alternately, you could
typedef struct {
	void f1(void) (puts("something");};
} TEST_TYPE;

and then you'd probably be OK.

I haven't communed with the standards statement, but I think this is
what's going on.