From: Mark Butcher <M_J_BUTCHER@compuserve.com>
To: gcc-help <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Cross compiler won't build
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 16:06:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi All

Still not getting the Mcore cross compiler to build. My problem is probably
typical since it is documented in a FAQ as follows:

5.2 Assembler errors while building GCC's enquire or libgcc.a

Assembler errors encountered while building enquire or libgcc.a are usually
caused by GCC (the one you just built) not being able to find the right
assembler. Have you installed it in a place where GCC can find it?

Were GCC and Binutils configured with the same --prefix/--exec-prefix
arguments?

If the assembler hasn't been installed, the quickest solution is to create
a symbolic link called `as' in the GCC build directory that points to the
assembler to use.

I assume I have this difficulty but don't understand what to do about it.
[Background - successfully configure for Mcore processor and then enter
MAKE - compiles for about 20 mins and the aborts with assembly errors in
lib1.asm]

Here are some direct questions for anyone with the necessary knowledge:

1. When and where should the target assembler be installed ?
2. Is it called gas.exe ? If so, I do not find it anywhere on my computer
3. Is the assembler called from within gcc ? For example if I type "gcc -c
-x assembler-with-cpp crti.asm" I seem to get the same error messages as
during the attempted build.
4. Strangely when I type "gcc -c -x assembler-with-cpp lib1.asm" from the
command line I get no errors and an object file called lib1.o (Probably
because no code is compiled due to missing defines..)
5. What is the relationship between gcc and xgcc ? Is xgcc used during
cross compiling instead of gcc (I suppose it must be) - and where does it
come from ?

Would be grateful for a helping hand - I am indeed learning more and more
about the process but only manage a couple of hours a day study which is
slow and frustrating. A working compiler would certainly boost the moral...

Regards

Mark Butcher